·
Registered
238 Posts
No lockers just towel racks.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Can you get a tacoma with lockers from the factory?

Yes, rear locker only available in TRD Offroad version trucks.

If you're in the 2005+ folder, If you look at the upper right side of your screen (not at the very top) - there's a red bar and you'll see "Search this forum". Type in "TRD Offroad" or "TRD Locker" or even "Lockes" to ge more information.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my real question is about 4x4 vs 2 wd with limited slip. Was thinking of trading my tundra with limited slip for a 4x4 tacoma or one with lockers. After some research and much debate I have realized I just want a new truck and there is no reason for the switch. Let me explain.

We are just getting over the 5th worst winter in Iowa history as far as snow fall debth. My 2005 tundra has only limited slip. I use my truck for hauling, pulling a boat, and do not off road although I am an avid hunter and fisherman. Guess I am looking for an excuse to get a 4x4. But, all of this being said.....I have not been in a situation yet that I have not been able to rock out of......I have not got stuck, never had a problem getting my boat out even on a steep ramp, and even ice storms have not stopped me from reaching my destination......so I guess I have answered my own question, I should just keep my truck and be free of payments in one year instead off taking on more debt.

·
Never Roam Alone
06 Taco
1,065 Posts
ARB makes good aftermarket lockers. for front or back. Toyota only offers lockers for the back

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
I guess my real question is about 4x4 vs 2 wd with limited slip. Was thinking of trading my tundra with limited slip for a 4x4 tacoma or one with lockers. After some research and much debate I have realized I just want a new truck and there is no reason for the switch. Let me explain.

We are just getting over the 5th worst winter in Iowa history as far as snow fall debth. My 2005 tundra has only limited slip. I use my truck for hauling, pulling a boat, and do not off road although I am an avid hunter and fisherman. Guess I am looking for an excuse to get a 4x4. But, all of this being said.....I have not been in a situation yet that I have not been able to rock out of......I have not got stuck, never had a problem getting my boat out even on a steep ramp, and even ice storms have not stopped me from reaching my destination......so I guess I have answered my own question, I should just keep my truck and be free of payments in one year instead off taking on more debt.
Being debt free would be nice.... but will you truely be happy with the 2WD Tundra? Obviously, the limited slip was 'needed' (per say) in the 2WD Tundra.

If you bought yourself a new Tacoma 4WD model - you'd be extremely impressed with the snow performance right outta the box regardless of traction devices.

The Tacoma can be purchased with either fulltime locker or limited slip also.
The TRD fulltime locker (TRD Offroad) is only operational in 4lo from the factory.
The Limited slip (TRD Sport and other non-TRD trucks) is operational at all times (similar to your Tundra).

If you got a new truck - you'd have to decide which traction device you'd get more usage out of. Would you be using 4lo a lot to justify the fulltime locker? OR - would you get more usage and benefit from the limited slip or non at all (only 4WD)?

If you're dealing with that much snow...I'd definately look into getting a 4WD truck. You'll be sooooooooooooo happy that you did and never look back.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Like others said if you have that much snow 4wd is so worth it. Lets see my first 3 trucks where all 4wd lived in NY. those where all given to me as I was young and in college. I live in CA, and bought my first new truck. No need for 4wd. yea well a year later I moved back to NY Glad I bought 4wd and everyone said I was crazy. Now live in VA but a new Taco had to be 4wd. When I went to visit my parents in NY over turkey day holiday I drove threw a snow storm. Again Glad I had 4wd. I have only ever been in a few situations where I truly need 4wd. But it’s nice to have it. Just remember don't get over confident with 4wd. Cause pretty much 4wd is going to get you threw just about anything. But it’s not going to help you stop

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5th worst winter in history? Not possible with all of the global warming going on.

Yeah right! Bring it our way. This winter has been crazy.

But, like I said I really don't need 4wd. I have yet to be stuck and 4wd will only help me go faster....not stop faster. I just don't need it. My last truck had it and I did use it once, just so I could say I did.

I realized that 4wd is a convienence, but not a neccesity. I would rather buy a new house. The market is upside down here and I can get a house for very cheap and my neighborhood houses have not seemed to dump. So new house.

Not likely we will have another winter like this in close to 20 years and I still won't need 4wd.

Seriously, even when they advised to stay off the roads because tow trucks were not allowed and could not get you, I had no problems. It is easy for someone with 4wd to say it is a must, but I am telling you it's not.

·
Never Roam Alone
06 Taco
1,065 Posts
lets back up a min here. lockers are not good for driving in the snow. if you are stuck it the snow yes (if 1 wheel difference will help in snow), but HWY driving i would feel much safer with limited slip, and no ABS

·
Banned
873 Posts
I have lockers front & rear in my taco (ARB aftermarket) very happy with the purchase.

but i do alot of offroad excursions.

somone mentioned above lockers are not for driving around on snowy roads. thats why i wanted lockers over LSD.

lsd i find will get your tail end squirly sometimes too. i would rather have 1 front wheel with power and 1 rear wheel with power for everyday driving!

and lock the truck up as needed. usally just the rear lockers, unless i am in trouble then i will lock up the front & back. she pretty much will go anywhere you point it. within reason!

cheers
Warts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have lockers front & rear in my taco (ARB aftermarket) very happy with the purchase.

but i do alot of offroad excursions.

somone mentioned above lockers are not for driving around on snowy roads. thats why i wanted lockers over LSD.

lsd i find will get your tail end squirly sometimes too. i would rather have 1 front wheel with power and 1 rear wheel with power for everyday driving!

and lock the truck up as needed. usally just the rear lockers, unless i am in trouble then i will lock up the front & back. she pretty much will go anywhere you point it. within reason!

cheers
Warts
Hey warts, serious question. How much could I get rear lockers for? I have never had them before. I am assuming you would have to have 4wd for front lockers.

You are right about the lsd in the snow, you have to plan a little. It seems like you have to let off the gas around corners a litte more than with other drive systems, but straight shots are like jamaica "no problem."

I am assuming that aftermarket lockers come with touch controls.........thanks for the info.

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
Hey warts, serious question. How much could I get rear lockers for? I have never had them before. I am assuming you would have to have 4wd for front lockers.

I am assuming that aftermarket lockers come with touch controls.........thanks for the info.
I'll jump in and I am sure Warts can answer as well.
For starters, you already have a Toyota that will last you for a good 10 years...keep it. And hold off on the house, the market is still tanking! Save your coin for another year or so. Once the housing market starts to level off, buy that new house.....much better than getting a new truck you don't really need.

As for the lockers, there are selectable lockers and full-time lockers. Selectable (ARB) are going to be much more expensive than full-time (Detroit)

To answer your other question I am assuming you would have to have 4wd for front lockers.
Yes

1 - 20 of 23 Posts