Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help here. Im buying an 09' Tacoma double cab 4x4 and I want the long bed, but I see that they only offer the locking diff in the short bed!!! I find this absolutely retarded! Why would they do such a thing?:confused: I know that the locking diff distributes power to both wheels evenly, this is what I want. Im just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. If I do not have the locking diff and I place the truck in 4x4, I will not have power distibuted to both rear wheels evenly, but the power will go to the wheel with the least resistance? If this is true, your truck is not truly 4x4 unless you have a locking diff, correct? Please let me know if I got this right or not. THANKS! :clap:

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
This is commonly misunderstood a bit. 4x4 is four wheel drive. Open differentials allow power to flow to the wheel with less resistance, but only in inverse proportion to the resistance. So in normal conditions where both wheels have roughly the same traction, power will go to both in roughly equal amounts. Also note that power is not the same as rotation. A locked diff will apply power to the wheel with the most traction, and not to both wheels equally, even though they will rotate equally.

Also remember that the locking diff is only lockable when in 4 Lo, unless you do the diff lock mod. (Which isn't hard.) If you don't have a locker, you'll have a limited slip differential, and until I got the locker, I had forgotten what a benefit LSD was. The unlocked, open diff is significantly worse than an LSD in deep snow and mud. I also understand that the 09 LSDs are totally traction-controlled now? That could make them perform even better than the clutch-pack style. I have no experience there.

Hope that clears things up. In general, unless you're wheeling, an LSD appears to be a better choice for a lot of folks, as there are drawbacks to the locker. And if you are seriously wheeling, are you sure you want to choose a DC long bed? Kind of a locomotive out there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Interesting topic to learn about. Thanks.

I have a pre runner. What if I wanted a rear locking diff, is this possible? I know the FJs come with it if it is only a two wheel drive. I don't ever offroad, but I hit some dirt roads that get slippery when the rain falls.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Im not going to be doing any serious off roading or "wheeling". I would guess most of this trucks life is going to be lived on road except for the occasional excursion off road so the DC LB will be handy instead of a hand-cap. I dont need an extreme off road vehicle, I would just like to be able to get lost in the woods if I need to. Thanks for the advice!

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
my 4x4 with the LSD has been fine so far, yes there have been situations where a locker would have helped but nothing i couldnt get through. Get the Sport LB and then upgrade to an ARB air locker if you really feel like your lacking. the ARB drops right into the LSD diff housing

to be truly 4x4 as i understand it you need lockers front and rear.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
This is commonly misunderstood a bit. 4x4 is four wheel drive. Open differentials allow power to flow to the wheel with less resistance, but only in inverse proportion to the resistance. So in normal conditions where both wheels have roughly the same traction, power will go to both in roughly equal amounts. Also note that power is not the same as rotation. A locked diff will apply power to the wheel with the most traction, and not to both wheels equally, even though they will rotate equally.

Also remember that the locking diff is only lockable when in 4 Lo, unless you do the diff lock mod. (Which isn't hard.) If you don't have a locker, you'll have a limited slip differential, and until I got the locker, I had forgotten what a benefit LSD was. The unlocked, open diff is significantly worse than an LSD in deep snow and mud. I also understand that the 09 LSDs are totally traction-controlled now? That could make them perform even better than the clutch-pack style. I have no experience there.

Hope that clears things up. In general, unless you're wheeling, an LSD appears to be a better choice for a lot of folks, as there are drawbacks to the locker. And if you are seriously wheeling, are you sure you want to choose a DC long bed? Kind of a locomotive out there.
Am I the only one that made no sense out of what he just said? Sorry bud.

Locking differential is like a solid axle, both rear wheels turn together. In a sense, there is no differential. So there is no arguement... I posted a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locking_differential

Limited-slip (same as Posi) will lock up when it senses one wheel spinning freely.

Go get your own wiki for that one. :)

Personally, I would rather have a locker, just because thats what I'm used to using in the past. Overall though, there isn't a super huge difference between the two, BOTH will get you outta the shit when you need it.

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
Okay briangp, I've never been able to articulate differentials well. The Wiki is good. They properly use torque instead of power, and remind me that the open diff applies torque equally to both wheels (but rotation can be unequal.)

Remember torque is not rotation.

Also remember a limited-slip differential doesn't really lock up. There is a "limit" to the locking of the axles together.

(There I go again, not explaining well. I'll quit, I promise.)

To letmebefree, don't get me wrong, I like my locker, especially once I did the diff lock mod. I was just saying the alternative is not horrible.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Okay briangp, I've never been able to articulate differentials well.
Its okay, thats why this is a forum, we're all here to learn things from each other. While I'm sure someone will call me on my extremely simple definition, the general concensus is right.

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
If you do go the sport route and want to add the locker, just plan ahead and re-gear if you are going to run larger tires. Might as well since you got that thing cracked open. You wont have any complaints with the TRD Sport though off-road. Mine does just fine. Re-gear and ARB lockers will be happening at the end of this summer though.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
If you do go the sport route and want to add the locker, just plan ahead and re-gear if you are going to run larger tires. Might as well since you got that thing cracked open. You wont have any complaints with the TRD Sport though off-road. Mine does just fine. Re-gear and ARB lockers will be happening at the end of this summer though.
Which gears are you going with?

·
Shake & Bake
'09 Tacoma AC 4x4
16 Posts
LSD vs. 2WD

Hey, just thought I'd throw in my experiences with the older Tacoma open diff. My previous truck was a 2004 Tacoma 2WD which really was a 1WD. The right rear slipped like crazy on snow, mud, dry gravel, wet asphalt, dry asphalt, you name it. I got stuck so much in that truck and it slipped around so much, I named it the Slipmaster 5000. It was so bad that I once got stuck in the parking lot at my local grocery store on a snowy 5% grade. Two ladies got out of their cars and pushed me. I had 400lbs of sand in the back and brand new winter tires.

In contrast, my new rig is a 2009 Tacoma 4X4 with the LSD and traction control. It is AMAZING. Up at the ski hill with 20cm of fresh and the truck went STRAIGHT up the hill with no wandering side to side, just a little light lit up on the dash. For everything but serious off road driving, I can't see the need for a locker. It would be nice I'm sure, but not necessary to get you through.

DS

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Hey, just thought I'd throw in my experiences with the older Tacoma open diff. My previous truck was a 2004 Tacoma 2WD which really was a 1WD. The right rear slipped like crazy on snow, mud, dry gravel, wet asphalt, dry asphalt, you name it. I got stuck so much in that truck and it slipped around so much, I named it the Slipmaster 5000. It was so bad that I once got stuck in the parking lot at my local grocery store on a snowy 5% grade. Two ladies got out of their cars and pushed me. I had 400lbs of sand in the back and brand new winter tires.

In contrast, my new rig is a 2009 Tacoma 4X4 with the LSD and traction control. It is AMAZING. Up at the ski hill with 20cm of fresh and the truck went STRAIGHT up the hill with no wandering side to side, just a little light lit up on the dash. For everything but serious off road driving, I can't see the need for a locker. It would be nice I'm sure, but not necessary to get you through.

DS
The difference with your 09's LSD and the 05-08's is that you really still have an open diff. Except now, you have a computer controlling the spinning of the rear wheels with the brakes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quick question. Im away from my truck right now, as in im in another country. But im wondering what my 06 tacoma dc lb 2wd sport edition has in terms of rear end? after reading a bunch of these comments im now confused as to what i have now. Open diff, locker, lsd? someone please help.

Also, if i buy an air locker for the rear, is there an option to turn it on or off at ones request?
thanks.

·
lover of teh boobies
'05 Tacoma AccessCab
2,547 Posts
Quick question. Im away from my truck right now, as in im in another country. But im wondering what my 06 tacoma dc lb 2wd sport edition has in terms of rear end? after reading a bunch of these comments im now confused as to what i have now. Open diff, locker, lsd? someone please help.

Also, if i buy an air locker for the rear, is there an option to turn it on or off at ones request?
thanks.
You have a mechanical LSD in the rear. If you buy the ARB Air Locker, you have the option of turning it on or off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.