Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Does the 2009 Tacoma PreRunner (V6 AT) have a vented or non-vented gas cap?

I think this info is necessary for purchasing the correct Gates Locking Gas Cap!?!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Be advised that it's hit miss with these locking gas caps.
The check engine light may come on.
I tried two different numbers that were recommended and both caused the CEL to come on after a shortwhile.

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
My guess woud be non-vented since the fuel system needs to be pressurized.

Marc M

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,160 Posts
Since 1970, vehicles have been using sealed caps (non-vented). The fumes are trapped and vented from the tank into the engine (thus the need for the non-vented cap and a charcoal canister to keep the fumes from leaving the system and entering the atmosphere). FYI, in non-sealed systems, 20 percent of all hydrocarbons put into the atmosphere are directly from the fuel tank.

·
My Other Truck
4,312 Posts
You didn't ask, but the filler tube is supposed to be siphon-proof (or at least resistant).... unless your concern is someone pouring something into the tank.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
unless your concern is someone pouring something into the tank.

That's my concern on trying to find a cap that will work.
No listing on an '09 yet from Stant.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
The fuel cap did change from 2008 to 2009. The 09 has a "screw type", as opposed to a "quick turn" type on the 08.

The 09 screws on like a ratcheting cap, except that when it's tight enough, the handle only turns the equivalent of one loud click and then stops. It's not like any other Toyota fuel cap I've seen in the past; my other Toyotas have had a screw-on ratcheting cap that lets the handle click and spin when it's tight enough.

I have never seen the quick turn type on the Tacoma, but I imagine that it goes on and turns less than one complete turn and that's it?

I don't know if the filler neck is actually different or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts