Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I had the same issue. Our hitch tube has an extra bracket on the sides that connects it to the bumper. This causes some pins to be too short.

I like to use this Silent Hitch Pin because it bolts the hitch tight up against the side of the receiver tube and keeps it from wiggling around. I had to modify the lock to make it work. I basically just ground down the body of the lock so that it wouldn't touch the hitch tube so soon.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_200307327_200307327

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue. Our hitch tube has an extra bracket on the sides that connects it to the bumper. This causes some pins to be too short.

I like to use this Silent Hitch Pin because it bolts the hitch tight up against the side of the receiver tube and keeps it from wiggling around. I had to modify the lock to make it work. I basically just ground down the body of the lock so that it wouldn't touch the hitch tube so soon.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_200307327_200307327
Nice, I never thought to grind the lock.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought 1st one and it was too short. Then went to AutoZone and bought another that fit.
Last week I found some great hitch pins at Harbor Freight, but there's no lock. Just the pin and a hole in the end of it for a lock. I'm going to modify it to use a MasterLock.
Short pin is common problem. Do a search and you'll find several of us that ran into the same problem....

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
I had the same problem. I got the dumbell style from Walmart.
But it didn't fit. I like the look so much I made my own pin and used the lock.
That's the one I tried, my favorite design as well.

Made your own pin? Explain....:naughty:

·
Registered
153 Posts
My old locking trailer hitch pin is too short for my new truck. I bought a new one and it's too short as well. I think I found one on ebay that will work. Any one else have this problem? On another note, my truck tows great!!!
My locking masterlock pin aslo was too short. I got out a larg drill bit and just hollowed out the edge a bit ( about the TIP deep) so that the locking mechanism is counter sunk.

Hope this helps... I think i used a 1" Bit or maybe 1 1/4" jut measure you pin mark and figure out how deep it needs to be.

·
Toyotanation
6,975 Posts
My locking masterlock pin aslo was too short. I got out a larg drill bit and just hollowed out the edge a bit ( about the TIP deep) so that the locking mechanism is counter sunk.

Hope this helps... I think i used a 1" Bit or maybe 1 1/4" jut measure you pin mark and figure out how deep it needs to be.
Good Idea!
Way easier than what I did.;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
26 Posts
I have the same dumbell one that people have shown on their trucks in this thread. I dremeled it down a bit. It fits/looks great down. Just be sure if you dremel the actual hitch hole on your truck to hit it with some paint to prevent rust.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,024 Posts
Standard locking pin...no problem. Now the width of the receiver does cause a problem with the Yakima stuff (bike rack and DryDock). They use the threaded bolt with a locking pin on the other end...of course you can't use the locking pin at all (nor their actual lock) because the bolts are all too short. Yakima fell down on the job here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.