Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
it's an open diff when it isn't locked. and you only use it in extreme conditions when you're wheeling.

i don't know of any traditional style bull bars you can put a winch on. you have to put a full bumper on like arb, all pro, etc.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Yes... Or one of these....

http://shrockworks.com/Toyota-Tacoma-Winch-Bumper-Bull-Bar-Front-pr-16174.html

Also, unless you do the "locker mod" you can only enable the locker in 4LO.

I did the locker mod and can enable it anytime (2wd, 4hi, 4lo). I actually did it today on a snowy dirt road. Felt the back end break loose and fish tail slightly. I locked the rear and she straightened right out! :thumbsup:

I also used it to get up a snowy entrance to an old rock quarry. Engages faster than 4hi, and still gives me 4wd options if I get stuck! :clap:

·
Banned
'66 Mustang
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
But of course!

amp2oo1 said:
Dont forget the new suspension to prevent the front from sagging with that bumper and winch;)
Even though that would look funy as hell trying to off road in. LOL!!

Yeah, I was looking at toytec's lift kit. I'm kinda having a small problem understanding something with that kit tho.

I have to add the leaf to the existing leafs and there are no shocks/struts included?

Kinda defeats the purpose of a lift kit, doncha think? I figured I could go out (like any other truck) and get a kit where I take out the stock suspension (struts/shocks/springs/leafs) and install the kit.

How do you do a "locker mod"?

HE-HE!!

Selected options:
Finish: Black Powder Coat
Top Tubing: Center Hoop & Headlight Guards
Lights: PIAA 4" Ion Crystal Fog
Lights on Top: PIAA 520 6" Ion Crystal Driving
Shackles: 3/4" Clevis Shackles -Qty2 -Black
Winches: Ramsey Patriot Profile 8000

Subtotal:
$2,107.00
Shipping:
$119.00

TOTAL:
$2,226.00
Oh yeah!!! That's what I'm talking about!

·
Banned
'66 Mustang
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adventure North said:
Good read! Where'd you get all the aftermarket things, rope, rollers, switches, ect?

The Warn was the winch I was thinking of. I couldn't remember what it was. I found one for my 83 S-10 blazer just before the syncro's went and I had to dump the truck.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Clu7ch said:
But of course!

Even though that would look funy as hell trying to off road in. LOL!!

Yeah, I was looking at toytec's lift kit. I'm kinda having a small problem understanding something with that kit tho.

I have to add the leaf to the existing leafs and there are no shocks/struts included?

Kinda defeats the purpose of a lift kit, doncha think? I figured I could go out (like any other truck) and get a kit where I take out the stock suspension (struts/shocks/springs/leafs) and install the kit.

How do you do a "locker mod"?
Locker mod:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t124537.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t127083.html

The toytec lift is probably the cheapest quality lift out there. The stock OR shocks work perfectly fine for most. Especially if you do the OME coils instead of spacers for the front.

If you want to do a LOT of offroading and have a good, smooth ride you want to look at Donahoe Racing or Sway-a-way Race Runner's. Either one will cost you around 1 grand just for the front. Deaver makes a leaf pack that many here recommend, and IIRC those are around $600/pair. So you're looking at around 2g's for such a kit, whereas Toytec's are around $200 for the spacer lift. Slightly more I think for the OME coil version.

·
Banned
'66 Mustang
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AN and PT, thank you both a million for all the info! You guys are a great help! And to think I was getting ready to look thru J. C. Whitney. LOL!

IIRC, the toytec one is like 280~ish. How do you add the leaf? I've never seen/done that before? Like I said, all the suspension kits I've looked at have them added already, like the Grab-A-Trac kit for my 66 Mustang.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Clu7ch said:
AN and PT, thank you both a million for all the info! You guys are a great help! And to think I was getting ready to look thru J. C. Whitney. LOL!

IIRC, the toytec one is like 280~ish. How do you add the leaf? I've never seen/done that before? Like I said, all the suspension kits I've looked at have them added already, like the Grab-A-Trac kit for my 66 Mustang.
For the aal,
  1. you undo the U bolts on the rear axle
  2. take out the centering bolt
  3. put the AAL in
  4. put in the new centering bolt
  5. tighten centering bolt
  6. cut extra threads off so bump stop fits again
  7. replace U bolts
More or less. There's a good Toytec install How-To on tundrasolutions.com.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/52388-how-to-toytec-lift-install/

·
Banned
'66 Mustang
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nifty. Awesome write up. Man I really couldn't ask for more from you guys.

Once all of this is done, WTF do you use to jack up the truck to change a tire?? LOL!! Just a truck floor jack from Advance or something more unique?

Oh, BTW, I really have to say, the underside of that hood kinda resembles Kate Moss:

Is any one else in the mood for ribs now??

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.