Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone suggests its the actuators I already changed one out and it didn't fix it.



I attempted to install a remote start system. When I went to connect to the unlock/lock wires with 5 pin relays something went wrong. I smelt a burning smell. (I uninstalled the 5 pin relays)The doors will not unlock/lock with the factory key fob or from inside the vehicle with the driver or passenger lock/unlock buttons. I have check every fuse in the vehicle and there all good.



Based on my research It could be either the receiver door control or possibly a relay. Anyone else ever made this mistake ?



Any help would be great.



Thanks!
 

·
Moderator
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
Joined
·
13,623 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

I would recommend that you find out what was burning and trace back from there. If it was part of the wiring harness, you would want to find out where and fix it versus throwing a bunch of parts at the issue and hoping it will fix it. Always start low and work yer way up...unless you have a bunch of money to throw at it. Trace where you have power and where it stops at. ;)

Do you have any piccies of what wires you connected to the relays? ;)
 

·
Registered
'14 4Runner Trail Ed
Joined
·
515 Posts
Agree with Mr. Bam. When you smell a "burning smell", it's everybody out of the pool until you find what it was that was burning. Given what you have described so far, it sounds to me like some insulation may have burned off a wire (in the lock circuit?) and now that wire may be grounded, or is shorting against an adjacent wire. So, find out what was burning and fix that first--whatever it is. Yes, this may take a ton of time, and you may wind up pulling off door panels or disassembling the dash. For sure you won't be having fun.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top