Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for all of you that have removed or replaced your u-bolts, did you use loctite (blue) when assembling the bolts? Just wondering if this is standard practice, or just a personal preference.

Since I reused my factory bolts, but barely cleared the end of the bolt with the nut when I retorqued, I was thinking it might be a good idea to apply some loctite for added safety.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
I'm gonna use it....it's already purchased and ready to go.

I just picked up that people are using it for their U's.....so I'm gonna be a follower and use it as well.. seams reasonable and is cheap to do... can't hurt.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Just remember when you use "Loctite" or any sort of lube? The your Torque values change. Just something to think about??

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Yes I used it, and I use it on all types of fasteners on my truck. I used red on the bumper and sliders and blue on suspension. A product like loctite will help you achieve proper torque specs as friction from rust and heat build up is reduced and dissipated as it acts as a lubricant when wet. Friction can alter torque numbers as it creates resistance lending itself to false readings.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Because of the lube it will require less torque to secure the bolt. I forget where I put the chart. I have some info for dry, moly lube or loctite. Torque specs, It all goes by the size and grade of the bolt! Also what type of lube is used.
I might have a copy at work? I 'll try to post it, but it wont be until a few days. Sorry!
Essentially the lube lessens the friction required to turn a nut but the pulling force that is being applied to the bolt is greater. Basically if DRY it requires 80 ft/lbs to make a certain bolt yield. (stretch and fail) With lube it might fail at 60 ft/lbs. Friction plays a big part of the torque value.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
I used red on the u-bolts, a-arm rods and the top front shock mounts (the 3 smaller bolts) and the sliders. I used blue on the bumper cause I'll need to get it off someday for a winch, and I don't want to do any more damge than I have to getting those nuts off. After the winch I'll use the red.

I figured I'd probaly have to cut the u-bolts if I ever changed anything back there anyway.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Blue Loctite will allow you to remove the bolt later. Red is supposed to make a permanent bond, but it usually doesn't. I can almost always break it loose.

A little interesting fact: Loctite works the opposite of standard glue. Loctite is in liquid form when it's in contact with air, but it hardens when there is a lack of air. Once you tighten the bolt it squeezes out the air between the threads, which makes the Loctite harden. It's really a neat product if you think about it.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Pb said:
Blue Loctite will allow you to remove the bolt later. Red is supposed to make a permanent bond, but it usually doesn't. I can almost always break it loose.

A little interesting fact: Loctite works the opposite of standard glue. Loctite is in liquid form when it's in contact with air, but it hardens when there is a lack of air. Once you tighten the bolt it squeezes out the air between the threads, which makes the Loctite harden. It's really a neat product if you think about it.
I've never done it, but everybody says just a little heat from a butane torch will break the red loose again.

I also have this stuff called Titan for bolts that is made by Locktite (blue light-duty thread locker). It is not very good at all.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
I didn't loctite my U-bolts, but I did torque them down to spec... I don't think this will present any problems as I check them every couple weeks...

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BillBrasky said:
I've never done it, but everybody says just a little heat from a butane torch will break the red loose again.
That's the same I've heard. But I don't see any reason why the blue wouldn't be effective, and I want to reserve the right to remove the bolts again if/when I replace the leaf pack. But since I'd need new bolts then anyway, cutting would work just as well.....

Thanks all for your feedback. I need to re-torque everything this weekend, so I'll probably just loosen the nuts and add some liquid insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts