Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
College Student DIY
97 Camry LE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a crack in my exhaust from about the middle of the car to before the muffler. Its a straight portion of piping so i was going to take some sheet metal and ubolt clamps to secure it and exhaust tape to more or less seal it. My check engine light is on from my rear O2 sensor so my car is running a little more rich that it should. its throttle response is also quite dogged from it. Main question, would this patch idea work or any other patch? or should i get it cut out and replaced?? Side note, im a college student so not having to have it professionally replaced would be a $$ saver.

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
762 Posts
That pipe, if you don't buy the CARB (California "certified") which you don't need if not in CA,
is around 150 bucks and if you don't replace the whole thing it will come back to haunt you.

·
College Student DIY
97 Camry LE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/nickson-braid-flex-2-id-x-10-520010/5600052-P?zoneAssigned=1
These are cheap.

He didn't mention the cat was bad, just the straight section of pipe.
That pipe, if you don't buy the CARB (California "certified") which you don't need if not in CA,
is around 150 bucks and if you don't replace the whole thing it will come back to haunt you.
The flex pipe and the cat are both good, flex pipe only a couple years old. Its the section between the muffler and cat that is cracked.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The flex pipe and the cat are both good, flex pipe only a couple years old. Its the section between the muffler and cat that is cracked.
Find a small, run down, no name exhaust shop, they should be able to replace that section for less than 75$.

It's best to try and save as much as the OEM system as possible. Aftermarket pipes rot out after a few years, OEM can last 20+ years. Have them only replace the part thats bad.

·
Toyota Collector
12,181 Posts
Buy a Walker 48319 or Bosal 289781 and install it yourself. OEM 17420-03080 is $400 I find this unreasonable.

·
New TX User
152 Posts
I'd consider any fix you do a temp fix but if you don't mind having to do it again that go for it. I've had one break right after the hanger and with enough roof flashing, hose clamps, c-clamps, sheetmetal, fiberglass mat, it was good as new

·
Registered
669 Posts
So it's item 6 or 5 in the diagrams?

Some options are to hit a pick and pull with some tools and/or a battery operated sawsall. Find a compatible donor and remove the whole pipe and install whole or cut out the straight stretch and have a welder weld it in. That gives you an OEM pipe with the durability of the original. Change the O2 sensor as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
definitely replace. if it was a hole yeah. but it might spread wider as you drive with the vibrations and then you might be inadvertently sucking in fumes

keep it safe a budget exhaust might be the answer talk to talk to your local el cheapo muffler bloke

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,074 Posts
I have used Permatex RED gasket maker and fiberglass cloth before, then wrapped some wire to hold it in place. Kept it like that for about a year untill the flex pipe went on my 4 cyl.

·
College Student DIY
97 Camry LE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's item 6 or 5 in the diagrams?

Some options are to hit a pick and pull with some tools and/or a battery operated sawsall. Find a compatible donor and remove the whole pipe and install whole or cut out the straight stretch and have a welder weld it in. That gives you an OEM pipe with the durability of the original. Change the O2 sensor as well.
It is item 6 in the 4cyl diagram, anyone have any idea what that would cost new?

Also does anyone have constant exhaust issues with their 3rd gens? this is the 3rd separate exhaust leak on this car, the flex pipe, the gasket between the item 6 and the exhaust and now this, item 6.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do it right - $180 at Advanced Auto or similar. Any weld to an old pipe will fail. Any patch will fail. Pay $180 and do it once or go cheap and do it again and again. You'll probably need a torch or cutting wheel to get the rusted bolts off.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
As noted- Whats left of the metal will not hold a repair. I'm sure any attempt at welding will just blow a hole in the metal thats left. Usually the only time I can weld an exhaust part together is if it broke at a joint from vibration.

The advice for an old mom and pop exhaust shop is good. Best price for a good repair.

You already replaced the front pipe, so it shouldnt surprise you that the back needs replacement too.

-SP

·
New TX User
152 Posts
It is item 6 in the 4cyl diagram, anyone have any idea what that would cost new?

Also does anyone have constant exhaust issues with their 3rd gens? this is the 3rd separate exhaust leak on this car, the flex pipe, the gasket between the item 6 and the exhaust and now this, item 6.
I dont have much time for joking around so i'll start off with the serious answer...
$103 at A1auto with gaskets shipped.
I would probably try to source a used on that looks good if I was going to replace it, alternatively I would go to Mexican owned muffler shop and tell them Jose sent me over here and said this is the place to go and when I said hose i would hold my hand flat like I was showing how tall he is. If you can bring someone along with you then you have $50 in one pocket and have your friend hold another $40 and tell them you got $50 in your pocket and ask if that will cover it, if not then try to talk them into it then if it dont seem like its gonna fly then have your friend give you $20 and try to get them to do it for that, repeat if necessary. Thats how I would do it but honestly I would probably put a spark plug spacer on rear o2 sensor first.

and for the joking around...
Take the bad part off and install muffler directly to it, 02 goes in muffler and yoru done... easy on the speed bumps....
Do it right - $180 at Advanced Auto or similar. .
You mean do it right OR go to advance auto or similar?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts