Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my 93 V6 love the car got about 192,000 miles on it and im looking to make it just a tincy bit faster...

are there any cheap solutions (bolt on's maybe?) that will give me the HP i want?

If i could turbo it i would lol...

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
182 Posts
Careful with that NOS stuff... too much and you might blow the welds on the intake.
DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!!!

if you want 15 whp don't do ANY mods...just do basic tune up. You'll regain lost hp

·
Administrator
14,525 Posts
Bump the ignition timing from the stock 10 degrees BTDC to 15.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
K&N filter will add at least 20 HP.

And the diameter of your exhaust is directly proportional to HP increase. Double if you go "dual" exhaust.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
^ that was a sarcastic thanks. :rolleyes:

Reactions: LynchburgCSI

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
I'm gonna use my big bad mod powers here to point out that Chris and Richie are kidding. :lol:
when did you become a Mod? damn im slippin
Cold Air Intake, Header, Exhaust, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, tune-up, etc.... There is a lot of simple things that you can bolt on to see gains. Most gains are very small, but they do add up.
no headers for these engines, no CAI's either.
So I have my 93 V6 love the car got about 192,000 miles on it and im looking to make it just a tincy bit faster...

are there any cheap solutions (bolt on's maybe?) that will give me the HP i want?

If i could turbo it i would lol...
go turbo why not? buy 2 mitsu 13g's and get some custom manifolds fabbed up and the supporting ish and your twin-turbo. however at that mileage id buy a new engine or at least refresh your bottom end w/ forged pistons.

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
Errrr... guys. It's a 3VZ. He can just do the tuning mod in the sticky and gain 20hp free and easy. :)
THANK YOU! This is the most important and basic performance mod to do on a 3vz - bumps you to 1mz/2jz horsepower (200), and you still have uber torque down low :thumbsup:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
all this talk and no Bacon! yall are useless...:lol:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82158

here ya go, Toysrme's famous 3vz NA cheap free mods:thumbsup:

this will help get ya started, but as others have said. the 3vz responds well to minor tuning things. these mods, intake, exhaust (especially the Y-pipe) and a tuner will definatly yeild 15 ponies. there is plenty of detailed information about all of these subjects in the search section:thumbsup:

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
Hey, my 3vz withstood N02 with no problems....I'd feel safe about the venom kits if you are a little iffy on the whole operation

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
errr... NOS = $$$. 3vz timing tune = FREE.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
For those of you who did the timing and AFM mod, I'd like you to check your fuel trims via VF1 and VF2 grounded to E1 under the diagnostic cap.

Standard range is 0-5V. Ideally, you should see 2.50V, which is optimal and means that the fuel trims are +/- around 1-10% (closer to 2-3%).

5V is too lean
3.25V is lean, but within range
1.75V is rich, but within range
0V is too rich

Obviously, not as easy as OBDII, but if your reading is above 3.25V, you should definitely make an adjustment either with more fuel or by turning the AFM back.

Also, larger exhaust pipes does not equal more power gained as it can reduce exhaust scavenging. More than likely, the current exhaust pipe diameters (read that carefully) aren't a restriction. Rather, the manifolds are as they're a basic design.

A y-pipe mod nets some of the biggest gains if you remove the T intersection and smooth the exit of the rear bank's flow into the front bank's pipe.

·
Administrator
14,525 Posts
For those of you who did the timing and AFM mod, I'd like you to check your fuel trims via VF1 and VF2 grounded to E1 under the diagnostic cap.
Will do Jason. Although it'll take me a few days to get to it. I'm in the middle of replacing lower control arm bushings right now; ought to finish up in a few days.

Any instructions?... do the usual terminals need to be jumpered while doing it? (I forget which ones; TE1 and E1?). Start the engine, or not?

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Any instructions?... do the usual terminals need to be jumpered while doing it? (I forget which ones; TE1 and E1?). Start the engine, or not?
You'll have to allow the ECU time to learn the fuel trims first and foremost. Just like OBDII, OBDI ECUs also have closed loop fuel trim correction. So, after doing the adjustment, drive at a constant RPM for about 20-30 minutes. Get home, then check the voltages with the engine running.

Don't jumper TE1 and E1 while testing. Use a multimeter probe on VF1 (bank 1 fuel trim) and E1, then on VF2 (bank 2 fuel trim) and E1. VF1/VF2 gets the positive probe end.

I'd like to gather some data on what these mods do to the fuel trims. You don't want to run too lean as age/mileage have likely dirtied up the injectors a bit, so be careful.

I don't believe in universal settings. Each one of you will have to check your fuel trims and adjust (tune) things as necessary. It'd be so much easier with an Innovate LC-1 wideband though, but this is free, so use the data to protect your engine.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts