Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at a 4dr 98 Tercel DX 5spd with 229kms on it and just wondering what to look for on these cars, I'm certain the last gen was not as common to burn oil as the previous one, but I'm still not sure at what else to look for.

The car had new tie rods, alignment and brakes front/rear done in the last year, looks like it could be an easy certification but not sure if it will pass the E-test, the owner will be doing the E-test in the next few days as he will eventually need it to buy a plate sticker.

Only things I don't like about it... no tach AND it's a pale red colour, almost pinkish :yikes: but hey I need a daily driver. :slap:

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc? thanks! :smokin:

·
Registered
42 Posts
gET iT

DONT WORRY ABOUT emissions 95 and up tercels dont give emission problem. because they have a different engine. The old tercel all the way up to 94 have emission problems because after 100,000 miles they start to burn up valve seals which cause the car to smoke, this problem can easily be solve with $300 american dollars. but 95 and up tercels dont give this problem. As for the tach you can easily get one off a junked paseo 96 and up. Good LUCK

Trust what I say Because I Am the proud owner of a 95 tercel had a 97 and I also owned the emission problematic 92 tercel. non of these cars ever gave me problems. never stopped running and that old 92 never left me stranded even with all the smoke.

Toyota Quality you can trust.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
If you want to test the valve seals find a sweeping right turn like a parkway ramp and accelerate hard in the turn. If the seals are near going out it'll leave a smoke trail behind you. While getting the cluster from the 96^ Paseo get the wiper switch too. That will give you intermitent control.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oddly enough, I think it has intermittent wipers... it was raining today and I'm pretty sure it did.

so the Paseo and Tercel clusters are the same eh... good to know.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The clusters are not always identical, I think on this forum I have a thread about interchanges and numbers found on the original cluster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Humm.?

Wait there is something wrong with your tercel... you say that it is the dx model but but DX was discontinued after the 96 model making the 97,98, and 99 CE models. All I can say is the following. If the bumpers are not black and if there is a pull lever for the trunk and gas door, and intermitent wipers; then you have what would be called the tercel DX version of the CE (classic Edition.) If this is so then a paseo cluster swap shouldn't be a problem. I there is a problem then you would have to run a wire to the igniter on wire number 6 and temp gauge would require a little extra wiring. This is very rare. If you have concerns there are plenty of forums and sites addressing the fix for this problem. As for the paint. Lots of carnauba wax should clean up that powdery surface and snap the shine back on. After serveral of times buffing it, then you will notice that the car just keeps getting redder. Painting is not necessary. My 97 was red and all I did was buff the pale powder off. If you don't believe that it shines, Then Lick your finger and rub the cars paint until you finger burns from friction, then you will notice residue coming off the paint, and a nice red shine is noticeable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts