Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Matrix S 2010 Toyota Matrix XRS (RIP)
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm aware of the now seemingly ancient thread about modifications here, however, I'm wary of buying the wrong part and having to go through returning the part. I'm new to cars in general, and I'm eager to learn more about them as a side hobby. Like any teenager, I want to slap some "mods" on my car. The only actual modification I've installed a Pioneer head unit, adding Bluetooth, Apple Car Play/Android Auto, and opens up the possibility of a backup camera install.

I just want a little rumble and dip my toe into the world of car modding. I have my eyes on a Cosmo Racing CAI, as it seems to be a popular choice amongst my Instagram-circle of 2nd Gen Matrix Owners. Very cost-effective compared to the K&N and Injen intakes I saw listed in the thread previously mentioned. I know this will barely nudge horsepower, anywhere from 5-7 extra HP.

In terms of suspension - the Matrix looks lifted. However, the seemingly better top trim has been my downfall. Every single Coilover/suspension kit or lowering springs have a note claiming that it DOES NOT fit XRS (and often AWD). I'm not sure why it does not fit - I believe the XRS Matrix offers double-wishbone suspension. I'm not sure if that is why all these options exclude XRS. AWD exclusions make a little more sense. Unless I'm looking at the wrong places small info like this is hard to find - especially since the Matrix never got a big following - unlike the Civic Si (and even the Corolla XRS.)

In terms of Exhaust, the only one I can find is a Magnaflow Catback which is absolute overkill for what I want and how I use my car. I've looked at buying a universal muffler and having a shop install it, but frankly, my goal is to have an exhaust you can hear - anywhere from 60-70 dB compared to the 40-50 my car probably makes. Definitely NOT 3 am Civic status. I'm also confused at the Toyota part diagram found here, particularly the muffler - companies such as Magnaflow sell various universal mufflers, and I'm not sure which design is actually in my car - it appears as if it were in a a "C" configuration. However, the fastest and best way to check is to check the can under my car, so checkmate, me. I'll do that soon.

I've also looked at the TRD Strut Brace - one of the only actual TRD parts that they make for my car! I also find the price of the stock OEM brace absurd - over 700 dollars from Toyota. Judging by the look of it, the stock one might have some damping that makes the "feel" of the car a little comfier, if that's the right way to put it. The TRD bar is just a metal strut, so naturally, it would be cheaper. Has anyone used this on their car? I can't imagine I'd feel a big difference in the car's handling with just one part, but I've heard pretty good things about it.

Also - I understand that the Matrix/Vibe is a joint collaboration between Toyota and Pontiac - where the engine is Toyota and the chassis is Pontiac (I think). However, if I'm correct the chassis is still based off of the Corolla platform - to what extent do Corolla mods fit a Toyota Matrix? They seem to make a lot more parts for the Corolla XRS than the Matrix XRS, and I've come into some scenarios where parts found on different websites will mention fitting the Matrix XRS and the Corolla, and other sites won't even mention the Matrix at all. I also would expect some similarities since they should be based on similar platforms.

Also, a side note - how "rare" are XRS models? I've legit only seen one other 2nd gen Matrix XRS in my town, and a couple of Corolla XRS models. The bulk being base models, and XR and S models, ranging across first and second-gen Matrix models and respective Corollas.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
The stock xrs strut bar is missing from your car? What was put in its place? Strut bar is the same as the 9th gen Corolla xrs. It has a dampener on it.

Are you looking for a coil over setup or lowering springs? Try eibach since they manufacture for TRD when it comes to lowering springs.

I have the opposite issue when it comes to sourcing lowering springs. I own a 06 Corolla xrs and can't find any that says will fit Corolla xrs. In reality, it fits. Still trying to source my struts.

For exhaust, borla has a better sound. Have not heard a magnaflow yet. You can also try to source a TRD axle back muffler for the matrix. Not sure if they are made? That's what I use. A TRD axle back muffler only.

Your matrix shared components with the vibe. They are pretty rare. Between gen 1 and gen 2 vibe/matrix, the GT and xrs production was smaller over gen 1.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The stock xrs strut bar is missing from your car? What was put in its place? Strut bar is the same as the 9th gen Corolla xrs. It has a dampener on it.

Are you looking for a coil over setup or lowering springs? Try eibach since they manufacture for TRD when it comes to lowering springs.

I have the opposite issue when it comes to sourcing lowering springs. I own a 06 Corolla xrs and can't find any that says will fit Corolla xrs. In reality, it fits. Still trying to source my struts.

For exhaust, borla has a better sound. Have not heard a magnaflow yet. You can also try to source a TRD axle back muffler for the matrix. Not sure if they are made? That's what I use. A TRD axle back muffler only.

Your matrix shared components with the vibe. They are pretty rare. Between gen 1 and gen 2 vibe/matrix, the GT and xrs production was smaller over gen 1.
The stock XRS strut is NOT missing from my car. This was a 3am post so I apologize if my wording is off or I made some confusing statements. I was shocked at how there was a huge price difference between the TRD part and the stock part straight from Toyota. 200 for the TRD and 700+ for the stock part.

I'll look into Eibach, very possible I just avoided some of these big names to avoid the big prices often associated with them. Is it safe to assume that the parts that say that it WILL NOT fit the Matrix XRS will still fit? Again, I dont want to go down the rabbit hole of spending hundreds on a part that I can't even install. If a part fits the Corolla, can I assume that it may fit the Matrix?

Edit: Eibach's website only lists parts for the 1.8L Corolla. The two parts are PROKIT Performance Springs and adjustable camber bolts.

I've certainly heard of these unicorn parts for TRD. I've found some videos on youtube with a quick search. TRD Exhaust, and a Magnaflow. Both sound great.

They definitely seem rare. Out of curiosity, I've tried finding a 2 gen Matrix XRS with a stick, but none are up for sale (via autotempest). I sadly have an AT.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
As long as you are willing to kill your vehicle in the rain because your CAI is under the car... Short rams are not much better but if it has a heat shield then the short ram will at least not take in as much hot air as it normally would take without it.

Enjoy some 2AZ-FE videos:
Horrible!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
The stock XRS strut is NOT missing from my car. This was a 3am post so I apologize if my wording is off or I made some confusing statements. I was shocked at how there was a huge price difference between the TRD part and the stock part straight from Toyota. 200 for the TRD and 700+ for the stock part.

I'll look into Eibach, very possible I just avoided some of these big names to avoid the big prices often associated with them. Is it safe to assume that the parts that say that it WILL NOT fit the Matrix XRS will still fit? Again, I dont want to go down the rabbit hole of spending hundreds on a part that I can't even install. If a part fits the Corolla, can I assume that it may fit the Matrix?

Edit: Eibach's website only lists parts for the 1.8L Corolla. The two parts are PROKIT Performance Springs and adjustable camber bolts.

I've certainly heard of these unicorn parts for TRD. I've found some videos on youtube with a quick search. TRD Exhaust, and a Magnaflow. Both sound great.

They definitely seem rare. Out of curiosity, I've tried finding a 2 gen Matrix XRS with a stick, but none are up for sale (via autotempest). I sadly have an AT.
The 2nd gen matrix xrs was not available with a manual transmission. If it did, it's super hard to find.

Never assume that it does fit. You might be able to use gen 1 matrix suspension as I know there's more availability on gen1 parts.

From my experience, matrix parts fit the Corolla. For legal reasons, they don't say it does.

Do you know if you have a torsion beam or independent rear suspension?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2nd gen matrix xrs was not available with a manual transmission. If it did, it's super hard to find.

Never assume that it does fit. You might be able to use gen 1 matrix suspension as I know there's more availability on gen1 parts.

From my experience, matrix parts fit the Corolla. For legal reasons, they don't say it does.

Do you know if you have a torsion beam or independent rear suspension?
I should have independent rear suspension, the XRS has a standard Macpherson Strut and double-wishbone in the back.

Also I think you're right about the XRS only being an automatic. Lots of sources conflict and say the XRS had options while others say it is only an AT. Maybe it was a Canadian option.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
It's possible.

You should look into Bilstein, bc coilovers and Megan racing. They have options for matrix gen 2.

Another option is to try to locate a gen10 Corolla xrs. I think it's torsion beam, but not sure since it shares the 2az. But suspect that the Corolla chassis isn't as heavy as a matrix.

What kind of suspension are you looking at? Street, sport, or something else. There was another member in the recent year on their gen2 matrix. They set it up for track. But not sure if it was HPE or not.

I will find the link and post it here. They might have a build thread.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh man this is a lot of useful info. Can't look at it all right now, but thank you so much! In terms of suspension I want to just drop the car a little. There are no racetracks near me, and this is my daily driver, so I can't go racecar. I'll look over all other info and posts you shared when I can.

Also Tein's website only lists S-Tech Springs for the 1st gen Matrix, but I have not checked for the Corolla that matches my gen Matrix. The 2nd gen Matrix is heavier than the 1st gen by a few hundred pounds.

·
Slow AF
2012 Matrix
421 Posts
As long as you are willing to kill your vehicle in the rain because your CAI is under the car... Short rams are not much better but if it has a heat shield then the short ram will at least not take in as much hot air as it normally would take without it.

Enjoy some 2AZ-FE videos:
Horrible!
The "filter sock" thats included with OPs CAI should be hydrophobic. I run a k&n and hydrophobic sock on my atv. She's seen alot of deep water. Airbox has been wet but the sock kept the water out.

You are correct though. Cai in the fender well might cause water to get into the intake.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "filter sock" thats included with OPs CAI should be hydrophobic. I run a k&n and hydrophobic sock on my atv. She's seen alot of deep water. Airbox has been wet but the sock kept the water out.

You are correct though. Cai in the fender well might cause water to get into the intake.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
I know the lower the intake the more prone to hydrolocking I am. However, should I be safe with the hydrophobic sock? I assume the ATV runs a lot more water than a road car.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
If you see slot of rain, then I'd suggest a short ram instead. It won't pull in nearly as much cold air, but will be clear of water.

@SuperchargedMR2 might be able to confirm this. I believe he uses a CAI. If not, he may have more info.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
I know the lower the intake the more prone to hydrolocking I am. However, should I be safe with the hydrophobic sock? I assume the ATV runs a lot more water than a road car.
That is only if you are willing to take that chance. They do have other CAI's that you can convert back into a short ram but honestly... if it is your daily driver I would recommend a short ram (K&N). Weather can change unexpectedly and you don't want a hydrolocked car. More so if you believe you can take on a small flooded street. It's also at that point that if you cover the filter you might as well cover it with a vinyl cover or even a trash bag to prevent water from getting into it... and air...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is only if you are willing to take that chance. They do have other CAI's that you can convert back into a short ram but honestly... if it is your daily driver I would recommend a short ram (K&N). Weather can change unexpectedly and you don't want a hydrolocked car. More so if you believe you can take on a small flooded street. It's also at that point that if you cover the filter you might as well cover it with a vinyl cover or even a trash bag to prevent water from getting into it... and air...
Yeah you're probably right. I use my car as a daily for work and school, so I'd rather stick with the safer option. That being said, short or not, a sock/prefilter is gonna go on. Might as well stay safe. I think I saw a few cheaper options compared to K&N. Should I stick with K&N or try and save some cash?

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
Yeah you're probably right. I use my car as a daily for work and school, so I'd rather stick with the safer option. That being said, short or not, a sock/prefilter is gonna go on. Might as well stay safe. I think I saw a few cheaper options compared to K&N. Should I stick with K&N or try and save some cash?
It's your call. I prefer K&N because I want some quality and because it has a heat shied (Hint: find what you like then buy it cheaper on eBay).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's your call. I prefer K&N because I want some quality and because it has a heat shied (Hint: find what you like then buy it cheaper on eBay).
I think I may stick with K&N as of right this second. Like you said, quality. Plus I get a tiny bit of clout for running a big name part, as much clout as it brings!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.