Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of where to find one? As far as I can tell it doesn;t exist.

Wraith, you know anyone that has one?

And if no kits exist, are there any crankshafts out there that can be swapped into the 5sfe?

Thanks.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
well, I heard of a 2.4Liter 5s-fe kits... But this would completely throw your rod ratio to shit and you couldnt rev this thing any more... I would only put a 2.4liter in a FR than a FF ... If you still really want to do it ... I suggest looking up a 2.4liter kits on the forums... Someone posted a link before to one...

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So are you saying a stroker kit isn't a good idea? Could you explain in better detail why it wouldn't work? WHy do stroker kits work well for the 3sgte and other motors, and why wouldn't it rev well?

If not a stroker kit what about over bore? Whats the max I could take it to without sleaving and with sleaving? Stock is 87mm I think.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
OK stock 3s-gte rod ratio is 1.65 ( I think) . When stroking it to a 2.2Liter your rod ratio becomes something like a 1.60 ... The prefect rod ratio would be a 1.70 to 1.75 ... This rod ratio is found on the 2jz-gte. Thats a very good rod ratio for high rev motors.

As for a stroked 5s-fe ... Dude, imagine the angle your piston is going up and down on your cylinder walls ... Its going to be at such extreme angles that you fart hard enough you'd throw a rod. But, a over bore, stroked ( modified crank) and resleeved 5s-fe would work. But definitly not on a FWD car. That would be too much torque going on to the ground at low rpms... All you would do is spin your tires. Thats why FWD cars are better at higher rpms.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Oldman said:
it wouldn't put out more torque than the v6, or any other force fed 5sfe...
Your right... But, I was thinking of forced induction. But, it would especially when you turbo it... I figure out the way to make a 5s-gte all the way to a 2.7liter motor. But, I would rather run the 2.1Liter and have my power come in at mid to the top end of the power band. Remember turbo lag is FWD's best friend when it comes to getting traction....

Plus the 2.4liter 5s-fe would be like a truck motor. You wouldnt really be making that much horsepower out it. Unless you up the bored also. Not just the stroke.

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I mentioned that in a different post, they do not have the kit ready, haven't even started on it yet. It will be a while before it comes out, if it comes out.

So wraith, whats the max diameter I could bore the block out to with and without sleaving? If you can get 2.7l displacement without stroker you pistons are 97mm diameter, from stock 87mm?

Also your say that getting the power at high RPM's is good so the wheels don't spin out, but I'm not going to be making a huge amount of power, 300bhp max. With such a low displacement motor the torque curve won't be flat enough or great enough for it to spin out.

My Nissan Altima 3.5 S makes close to 290bhp and it virtually never slips even though it has a 3.5 liter v6 and 270ft/lbs of torque. Only time it slips is when the tires are worn, or when theres gravel and that is with traction control off.

And as for a stroker kit I've given up on them, it doesn't exist.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Gen3cruiser said:
I mentioned that in a different post, they do not have the kit ready, haven't even started on it yet. It will be a while before it comes out, if it comes out.

So wraith, whats the max diameter I could bore the block out to with and without sleaving?

Also your say that getting the power at high RPM's is good so the wheels don't spin out, but I'm not going to be making a huge amount of power, 300bhp max. With such a low displacement motor the torque curve won't be flat enough or great enough for it to spin out.

My Nissan Altima 3.5 S makes close to 290bhp and it virtually never slips even though it has a 3.5 liter v6 and 270ft/lbs of torque. Only time it slips is when the tires are worn, or when theres gravel and that is with traction control off.

And as for a stroker kit I've given up on them, it doesn't exist.
sorry bro your wrong on that one... I was making 281.4whp @ 13psi and that was enough to spin the tires to the mid of 3rd...
thing about it I have a friend name Frank whos making 580ft lbs of torque to the wheels on a 2.2liter (stroked) 3S-GTE...

As for your question on boring out the cylinders... I would definitly check your cylinder walls integraty before doing any boring. And the max I would go is about 88.5 over... With custom sleeves 92mm bore

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
sorry bro your wrong on that one... I was making 281.4whp @ 13psi and that was enough to spin the tires to the mid of 3rd...
Yeah, but how flat is the torqure curve? All that power doesn't come till around 4500RPM's and up. I've seen the dyno charts for motors like that, the torque curve just goes up through the roof once you get to high RPM's. You even said yourself,

Your right... But, I was thinking of forced induction. But, it would especially when you turbo it... I figure out the way to make a 5s-gte all the way to a 2.7liter motor. But, I would rather run the 2.1Liter and have my power come in at mid to the top end of the power band. Remember turbo lag is FWD's best friend when it comes to getting traction
The low displacement and high reving produces the power at high RPM's, not low, so spinning wouldn't be a problem.

This is from a Mr2

Also how can you get a 2.7l 5sfe with only a max 92mm pistons? With no stroker it would have to be 97mm pistons

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but what you just said seems to contridict what you said a couple posts ago.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Gen3cruiser said:
Yeah, but how flat is the torqure curve? All that power doesn't come till around 4500RPM's and up. I've seen the dyno charts for motors like that, the torque curve just goes up through the roof once you get to high RPM's. You even said yourself,

The low displacement and high reving produces the power at high RPM's, not low, so spinning wouldn't be a problem.

This is from a Mr2

Also how can you get a 2.7l 5sfe with only a max 92mm pistons? With no stroker it would have to be 97mm pistons

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but what you just said seems to contridict what you said a couple posts ago.
I can get the 2.7Liter with a custom crank, resleeved block, custom pistons, custom rods... Isnt that what I posted ... Where did I contradict myself ???
Yes... the torque curve wouldnt come on that early on a small displacement 4 cylinder. But we're talking 2.4Liters here!!! thats a BIG 4cylinder... Name a 4cylinder that displaces that much, thats turbo charged and is in a front wheel drive ???

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where did I contradict myself ???
I was talking about the car spinning out. You said before that it was good to have the low displacement and high reving so it wouldn't slip, where as recently you said it spins . I wasn't talking about the displacement.

Thats why I put the dyno graph up. The torque curve on that car would make it almost impossible to spin, regardless of the peak output.

And Nissan makes 2.5l 4 bangers that have turbo kits available. Look at the sentra and altima.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Gen3cruiser said:
I was talking about the car spinning out. You said before that it was good to have the low displacement and high reving so it wouldn't slip, where as recently you said it spins . I wasn't talking about the displacement.

Thats why I put the dyno graph up. The torque curve on that car would make it almost impossible to spin, regardless of the peak output.

And Nissan makes 2.5l 4 bangers that have turbo kits available. Look at the sentra and altima.

ok thats... I was talking about displacement.
Understandable, Nissan makes bigger displacement four cylinders but look at there stroke and bore ... its mostly bore instead of stroke...

ok Now I know where you think I contradict myself... I said my 3s-gte would spin the tires all the way to mid of 3rd ...

But, you have to understand that was on a high rpm launch from a dead stop. Now if you have a 5s-fe with a 2.4liter and then your turbo that ... Dude, the reason why people stroke MR2 turbos to 2.2Liters is to move the power and torque lower in the power band... And thats on a 2.2Liter and not a 2.4Liter. I'm just saying thats way too much torque for a fwd car especially when your spinning the turbo at 2000 to 2500rpms... I guess you've never driven a hi horsepower fwd car in the rain ... All I can say is constant burn-outs...

mean consider this ... A V6 1mz-fe supercharged is with the stock pulley is already having problems launch from a dead stop without spinning the tires... How much more a turbo charged 2.4Liter...

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, i figured out the bore thing. I guess the stroke is limited to only so much, cause of the magnitude stresses go up with the crankshaft, where as increased bore doesn't really put more stress on anything.

But, you have to understand that was on a high rpm launch from a dead stop
That wouldn't be a problem, as I don't do high rpm launches driving around town. ;)

I couldn't really do that anyways with an auto, spinning out would never be an issue for me.

I did a little math, with the 92mm increased bore the displacement would be up to 2418cc, a 254cc increase. That should help put out more torque.

Get me some info on what your friends can do, I'm getting ready to build it up. If you can ask them what the max bore is they can safely do, and how much for a block built up. PM me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So cruiser you going to turbo this motor? If so don't go too crazy on the overbore. Added cylinder pressure just adds to the problems of thinner cylindar walls.

Personally::eek:pinion insert::I would focus in on turbo selection and turbo manifold design to optimize the desired performance I wanted and try to leave as many stock spec sized parts in the block as possible. This makes it real easy to replace parts when they break. You don't have to wait nearly as long to get custom parts mailed and/or sometimes made!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can get the 2.7Liter with a custom crank, resleeved block, custom pistons, custom rods... Isnt that what I posted ... Where did I contradict myself ???
Yes... the torque curve wouldnt come on that early on a small displacement 4 cylinder. But we're talking 2.4Liters here!!! thats a BIG 4cylinder... Name a 4cylinder that displaces that much, thats turbo charged and is in a front wheel drive ???
I need advice I am thinking 91 or 92 bore thanks to sleeve and 93 mm strok with 3S GTE head on a 5S FE for my MR2 street toy.maybe 7200 max RPM I want a dependable motor now to get this bore does the machine shop have to ofset bore the sleves? How is it done is what I am asking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
thing about it I have a friend name Frank whos making 580ft lbs of torque to the wheels on a 2.2liter (stroked) 3S-GTE...

As for your question on boring out the cylinders... I would definitly check your cylinder walls integraty before doing any boring. And the max I would go is about 88.5 over... With custom sleeves 92mm bore
Have you or anyone you know bored to 92 mm as that is what I want to do 93 mm stroke and 7300 RPM red line with 15 lbs boost or a little more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts