Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup all...

I currently own a 1987 Mazda Rx-7 that isn't running. I bought the car w/ 91k miles and it ran great, was in near perfect condition, and was a blast to drive. Then four days after I bought the car I was rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee w/ a brush gaurd. It totaled my car but since it was still drivable I have been driving since. My 1966 Mustang runs great w/ 74k original miles and a recent paint job but i don't want to drive it and am trying to sell it.

Anyways...

I am looking to get rid of the Rx-7 as soon as I get it running. I have been looking around at cars other than the Rx-7's since I have had so much trouble w/ it. I want a rear wheel drive, 5-speed, import. I started looking at the Mr2 and really like them but I have some questions about them.

I have heard that they have reliability problems because they are mid-engine. I am interested in a 91 turbo. What would be an acceptable price for one in pretty good condition. I understand that they are kinda hard to work on because they are mid-engine.

Thanks

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
You are right about the trouble working on them because they are mid-engine. As for reliability, they are just as reliable as any other Toyota if they are treated right. If you keep up with the maintainance and don't abuse the car.... it will last you 200k + miles. If you want general prices check http://kbb.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i8... thanks...

i checked kbb.com and wasnt sure if those prices are what i will find on the market. My Rx-7 was over the kbb price and every Rx-7 i've seen was over the kbb price.

How do mods effect the reliability? I drive the crap out of my cars but I usually change the oil, change filters, etc. before they are due. I'm thinking that I should tone down my driving due to the Rx breaking down and cops but how does the Mr2 hold up to hard driving?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
If you drive a car hard... just expect to replace stuff faster. Oil change and other general services are going to need to be done a lot sooner if you drive your car REALLY hard.

Depending on what kind of mods, it may or may not effect the cars reliability. There are serveral aftermarket parts out there that just aren't as good as the OEM ones. Your best bet is to just find one that has been treated nice and/or driven by an older person.

If you have the chance take it to a trusted mechanic before you buy it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i8 sweet...

Thanks for all your help.

I will prolly buy one later this summer when I have more money. I will post pics and what not of my car after I buy it. I am pretty sure I am going to buy a Mr2.

Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts