Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a top plate spacer and rear block on my tacoma right now. i lifted the truck for looks, no off-roading. i've read some negative things about top plate spacers, or all spacers and it's got me thinking...

i want to keep this 3" lift for a long time so i'm looking for the best lift setup possible to preserve my truck as much as possible while satisfying me needs. i have done some research but haven't found a concrete answer. my options are as follows:

1- keep the lift i have now (i've already ordered some light racing uca's to help with alignment issues)
2- upgrade to a toytec ome coil lift with some shocks
3- get some c/o

i would jump on the c/o wagon but i really dont plan on needing to do any adjusting. i just want the standard 3" lift and kept that way. like i said though im not sure, figured i'd ask instead of just assuming and buying the wrong thing. thanks for all your opinions...

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I really like the toytec ultimate lift.

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
Look into the adjustable bilsteins. Set them once and you're good to go. I think that would be a quality, low cost solution for your needs

·
Rad Red Prerunner
579 Posts
If you can save up for the coil overs, you wont be disappointed. If you need something cheaper the bilstein 5100's at 2.5 will work. Thats what I have and they get the job done. Otherwise the toytech ultimate kit gets great reviews.

·
let's kick this pig.
2006 Taco
381 Posts
OME 885's with the 1/2" top plate spacer will get you 3" and you won't have to worry about any adjustments

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok so i think ive made up my mind...

ome full lift kit. im prob going to go with 886's instead of 885's. ive read that you dont need the spacer and its better for the doublecabs and they dont sag as quick. i was going to get the dakar leaf pack but i read that will give you the stock look with the rear end higher than the front end so i'm just going to switch my block to an aal. ill be hauling a pop up camper and thats it so i should be good. if anyone has any experience with the dakar leaf packs let me know, id like to get them and just replace the old leafs but i do not want the rear end higher than the front end

ive debated on whether to get the bilstein or ome shocks. but ive read the ome shocks suit well with the coils so ill go with them. i decided to go with the coils beacuse i couldnt justify getting $1100 coilovers just to drive on pavement. ill update when i have them ordered and then when i install them with pics :)

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
ok so i think ive made up my mind...

ome full lift kit. im prob going to go with 886's instead of 885's. ive read that you dont need the spacer and its better for the doublecabs and they dont sag as quick. i was going to get the dakar leaf pack but i read that will give you the stock look with the rear end higher than the front end so i'm just going to switch my block to an aal. ill be hauling a pop up camper and thats it so i should be good. if anyone has any experience with the dakar leaf packs let me know, id like to get them and just replace the old leafs but i do not want the rear end higher than the front end

ive debated on whether to get the bilstein or ome shocks. but ive read the ome shocks suit well with the coils so ill go with them. i decided to go with the coils beacuse i couldnt justify getting $1100 coilovers just to drive on pavement. ill update when i have them ordered and then when i install them with pics :)
Good choice! I'm liking my OME lift so far. I went with the HD Dakar's because I tow almost every day, so that makes my rear a little higher than the front. I'd say that the 886's and regular Dakar pack should be just about level. You probably wouldn't need the HD's anyways as a pop-up isn't too heavy. Check out my build for some pics of the stance if your interested.

Jared

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good choice! I'm liking my OME lift so far. I went with the HD Dakar's because I tow almost every day, so that makes my rear a little higher than the front. I'd say that the 886's and regular Dakar pack should be just about level. You probably wouldn't need the HD's anyways as a pop-up isn't too heavy. Check out my build for some pics of the stance if your interested.

Jared
so those pictures with the dakars/886's...are they with the extra dakar leaf you had?

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
so those pictures with the dakars/886's...are they with the extra dakar leaf you had?
Yes they are, I too wanted more of a leveled look, but knew I needed the extra leaf with my towing and off-road habits. In the end I really like how it turned out.

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nvm rhetorical question haha. how's the ride quality when you arent towing anything? i have top plate spacers and a block right now so its a pretty rough ride.

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
nvm rhetorical question haha. how's the ride quality when you arent towing anything? i have top plate spacers and a block right now so its a pretty rough ride.
The ride in the rear is great, the TSB leafs just weren't cutting it anymore and they were starting to squeak pretty bad after only a year. The 886's were a little rough but have softened up some...just biding my time till I can get my ARB. I think the ride will only get better when you ditch the spacers and blocks. :D

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ride in the rear is great, the TSB leafs just weren't cutting it anymore and they were starting to squeak pretty bad after only a year. The 886's were a little rough but have softened up some...just biding my time till I can get my ARB. I think the ride will only get better when you ditch the spacers and blocks. :D
i hear ya on the ARB! and if anything is better than the spacer and blocks ill be happy :cool:. thanks for your help. you helped relieve my concern that the dakar's would lift the rear end too much. love what you've done to the truck. looks great for sure!

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
i hear ya on the ARB! and if anything is better than the spacer and blocks ill be happy :cool:. thanks for your help. you helped relieve my concern that the dakar's would lift the rear end too much. love what you've done to the truck. looks great for sure!
Thanks man! Hope everything works out for ya! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts