Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

I live in Toronto, Ontario and I'm interested in getting a used 2001-03 Solara. I have about 15K Cdn which is about 12K US. I was wondering if I should get the V6 or i4. The i4 (w/VVTi) seems to be a good bargin but I heard Solaras with i4s come with drum brakes? Is this true?

I checked on ebaymotors and I noticed that v6s are selling for about 14K US and i4s cheaper, about 8K. Is the V6 more worth it? There more power obviously...but the car comes with a lot more stuff like leather, climate control etc?

btw, it be would an auto....still learning stick :p:

Thanks

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
I agree that the new Solara which comes with the 2.4L VVT-i 4-cyl is a very good bargain. You should take a test drive, everybody's expectations are different in terms of performance.

You might be able to find a 01 Solara V6 within that budget.

V6 does not come standard with lether or climate control. These are based on the trim you select, the SLE trim comes standard with leather and automatic climate control I believe.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
^^ what he said.
My suggestions would for you to first list your priorities and then look based on just those. I4's (ie. SE's) do come with leather, spoiler, moonroof and drivers side power seats. As far as climate control, that only comes on the v6 SLE model. None of the other trims (SE & v6 SE) have an option to add climate control.
FYI: Unless your planning to upgrade things on your own, i'd look for a 99-01 v6 SE/SLE with JBL Audio Package. That would be in your price targer. GL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its a pain...and I can't seem to find a lot of Solaras that meet my budget in the GTA area...maybe I'm missing something...importing will be my last move. :p:

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
ycchan said:
yeah its a pain...and I can't seem to find a lot of Solaras that meet my budget in the GTA area...
Reason:
1. Solaras cost more than Camrys.
2. They came out in 1999.
3. They're not popular in Toronto.
4. Your budget is too low for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
12k USD should be more then enough for a USED i4 solara. Maybe a V6 as well. But the whole taxes and what not your final price for a solara is way over 12k

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
bowlofturtle said:
12k USD should be more then enough for a USED i4 solara. Maybe a V6 as well. But the whole taxes and what not your final price for a solara is way over 12k
i bought a used gen 1 solara v6 5 speed mt, with leather, jbl, moonroof, spoiler, 16" alloy around $7k usd, keep looking, maybe someone willing to sell one at lost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bronzemaxell said:
i bought a used gen 1 solara v6 5 speed mt, with leather, jbl, moonroof, spoiler, 16" alloy around $7k usd, keep looking, maybe someone willing to sell one at lost.
How many miles?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ycchan said:
How many miles?
it is 114k miles high mileage, rare to find v6 mt, but in excellent condition inside and out, quiet, almost like new, i have the msrp window sticker, and it is almost $27,000 usd.

i just did a search on cars.com and found a red hot one

99 SE V6 5 Speed $7400 104k miles, i have no association with that ad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Give me $15000 and my baby is yours. it has 69000 miles with $13000 worth of mod. it still runs like new.

but i am not sure how you going to import it back and register it legally with all the goodies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts