Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Camry LE. 2004 Lexus RX330. 2012 Infiniti G37
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 Camry was due for every 2-years Smog Check in California. BUT it had a Check Engine Light and Scanner shows P0446. An internet search shows this is very commonly repaired by replacing the Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV on the canister. There is a Tech. Service Bulletin about this: EG013-02. This TSB discusses an improved Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV, new part number. $230 at the dealer. I removed the canister to inspect it. I labeled every vacuum hose removed from the canister. Canister has no cracks or leaks. Seems solid, in good condition. I replaced two vacuum hoses: the Air Drain hose at the canister and the hose between the EVAP VSV and the EVAP Service Port were both cracking at the ends. I re-installed the canister, and replaced the Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV with the upgraded VSV from the dealer, and cleared the code. P0446 came back within 60 miles.
I did more research, and then changed the EVAP VSV ($34 from Amazon). Cleared the code. P0446 returned within 60 miles. More research. I've replaced the Vapor Pressure Sensor, and stopped. There are two ports on the Vapor Pressure Sensor and an electrical connector. On the new Vapor Pressure Sensor, one of the two ports is larger - for a bigger diameter vacuum hose. On the old Vapor Pressure Sensor both ports are the same size. Here's my problem: I don't remember if I removed one or two vacuum lines from the Vapor Pressure Sensor when I removed the canister originally. Most diagrams only show one vacuum hose connected to the Vapor Pressure Sensor. It goes to one of the three ports on the Vapor Pressure Sensor VSV. All the vacuum hoses in the vicinity of the canister are properly connected - triple checked. There are no loose, unconnected vacuum hoses. BUT I'm almost certain there should be TWO vacuum lines connected to the Vapor Pressure Sensor. Some drawings, photos and diagrams support this idea in a non-specific really unhelpful way. See the attached pics. They help explain my problem better. I'm looking for help identifying the two vacuum hoses connected to the Vapor Pressure Sensor on the Emissions Canister on a 1999 Camry. Thank you,
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide1.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Camry LE. 2004 Lexus RX330. 2012 Infiniti G37
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have mentioned the first thing I replaced was the gas cap. P0446 returned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts