Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a teenager wanting to buy my first car. I have considered getting a 3rd generation Rav4 since they fit my price range and are a bit more modern. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions on what year in this generation to buy as I want to get a Rav that is very reliable and has little to none known failures or issues(like burning oil). I am going to buy the I4 variant as I want good gas mileage. Let me know what you guys think and please leave your suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys,

I am a teenager wanting to buy my first car. I have considered getting a 3rd generation Rav4 since they fit my price range and are a bit more modern. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions on what year in this generation to buy as I want to get a Rav that is very reliable and has little to none known failures or issues(like burning oil). I am going to buy the I4 variant as I want good gas mileage. Let me know what you guys think and please leave your suggestions.

Thanks!
Hi, I believe beginning with the 2008 they replaced the engine and it is considered a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,386 Posts
The ‘06-‘08 with the 4 cylinder can be oil burners, link here. So if you consider one of those, be sure it was rebuilt by Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,049 Posts
Welcome to the site ThatToyota! Exciting times - first car purchase, still being in the teens... good times ahead my friend. This is a great site for info and to share, enjoy!

The RAV4 I4 uses the 2AZ-FE for those 2004 - 2010 years, right? Like BMR states can be an oil burner. But, an easy engine to pull and get rebuilt. Buy an oil burner and get a low price because it is an oil burner then pull the engine and put in a rebuilt, loads of fun! Other than that oil burning issue, or the bad head bolt issue on the 2004 - 2006 models (if it is the 2A-FE engine in those years) it is pretty reliable, engine wise.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you can swing it 2009 or newer is the path to follow. As pointed out above 2006, 2007, & 2008 2.4l four cylinder engines are known oil guzzlers so stay clear. If you can find a V-6 (2006-2012) you'll have a silly grin on your face when you drive it. It's quite quick and insurance will likely be higher in your case. The V-6 RAV can overpower a new driver so give it respect if you get one.

Whatever you get have it thoroughly checked out. You don't need repairs on top of the insurance rates you'll be dealing with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.