Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey people, my trannys finally on its last last legs. Its got 280k with plenty of towing and abuse by previous owners and a little of the same from me.

Just bouncing ideas off people who have replaced or rebuilt these. Im thinking I might buy a used core to rebuild myself or send to Marlin. I hear there is a fair amount of variation in bearings for r150fs depending on application, has anyone found a reliable source for internal parts numbers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
54 Posts
Marlin Crawler will rebuild it if you have the downtime to ship yours to them and wait, but I doubt they have a T100 specific R150F ready to go. You can always call and inquire.
The problem here is that the R150F transmission in the T100 with the 3.4L V6 is specific to the T100. It uses the updated bell housing and longer input shaft found in Tacomas, 4Runners, and Tundras with the R150, but it uses the old tail housing found in Toyota 4x4s with the 3.0 V6. If you're wanting to swap a rebuilt unit for your old one to minimize the time your truck is layed up, I reckon these are your options:

• Find a 1995+ T100 R150F in a junkyard somewhere and get it rebuilt.
  • Buy an R150F from a truck with the 3.0 V6 and replace the input shaft and bell housing with the parts for the 3.4 V6.
  • Buy the newest version R150F from a 3.4 V6 equipped Tacoma, 4Runner, or Tundra. Then buy a gear driven RF1A transfer case from an old pickup and whatever adapters you need to bolt it to the back of the R150F. You cannot use the driver side drop transfer case that bolts to the 3.4 R150F. I suspect the driveshafts would line up okay, but maybe double check that.

If you find a reputable builder who will replace the 3.0 R150 input shaft with the 3.4 R150 input shaft, I want to know about it. 3.0 R150Fs are plentiful and cheap. I had a gear driven transfer case at one point, but didn't end up going that route, even though it would have been cool. My truck has a vibration in 5th gear and only in 5th gear that I'm pretty certain is transmission-related. I've been watching the local "you-pull-it" junkyards for a year, but no 4X4 T100s yet. I can't have my truck immobile long enough to ship my current transmission out and get it rebuilt.

Dang I wrote all that and realized I didn't answer your original question. Marlin Crawler has some info, but not much: R150F Kit (1988-10/91) | Marlin Crawler, Inc. If you scroll down to the transmission gear ratio chart, you'll see there are at least 3 different R150 versions to consider. Keep in mind that the T100 is an odd intermediate configuration, but perhaps not with respect to bearings. I can check my service manual too when I get off work. It covers disassembly/reassembly of the R150F.

I know Toyota has a transmission repair manual for the R151 somewhere. Does anyone know if a R150 transmission repair manual was ever published? Something a bit more detailed than the FSM?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marlin doesnt have 150f cores, so you need to ship yours and have them rebuild. Im probably going that route and looking for an extra as a spare, because of how rare they are and how long id like to keep driving this truck

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
11,751 Posts
I'm Pro MC but wait times are a bitch. I was wandering car-part.com and there out there and a decent selection of units with 100k or less on them but they're absurdly expensive. It's like buying a $500 core full of the unknown.
I like the gearing of the R151F better. What would it take to make it work since it was bolted up to 3.4 4wd 4runners and Tacomas?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts
Reactions: swampedout

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw one on carpart in snowflake az with arnd 150k on it, same make and model as mine. Its a 5 hr drive. Im going to call about it soon

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im rebuilding the front end anyways, so im just going to expect it to be off the road for a couple months if I do get a rebuild.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
54 Posts
I'm Pro MC but wait times are a bitch. I was wandering car-part.com and there out there and a decent selection of units with 100k or less on them but they're absurdly expensive. It's like buying a $500 core full of the unknown.
I like the gearing of the R151F better. What would it take to make it work since it was bolted up to 3.4 4wd 4runners and Tacomas?
Agreed. Prices are ridiculous for units of questionable health.
From what I have read, the R151F never appeared in a 4Runner with a 3.4L V6 (stopped at 1995), and never came in a Tacoma at all. You can swap parts to make an R151F compatible with a T100, but it basically poses the same problems as trying to make a pre-95 R150F fit.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gauge Rim Automotive design

There aren't many places that record the differences between the various transmissions, but this post: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1999-4runner-sas-and-buildup.520061/ should give you an idea of some of the differences and what is involved in swapping parts. The author is trying to put an R150F behind a 3.4L V6 in his 4Runner, while retaining his gear-driven, passenger-drop transfer case for a SAS. In doing so, he basically builds his tranny in the T100 configuration.

MC doesn't always update their website when they get rebuildable R150F cores. Last time I called they had several 96+ R150s.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
54 Posts
Reporting back from the FSM. There are no transmission bearing part numbers, but there are some journal diameters called out, which could be used to approximate some (definitely not all) bearing dimensions. It's a lot to transcribe into an original forum comment, but DM me if it would help you enough for me to type it all out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the fsm, I need to give it a more thorough read to determine if a diy rebuild is something i should consider

Reactions: CaptainNonsense

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Theoretically, I could tear mine apart and order bearings to match what I have if there were any i couldnt identify ahead of time....right?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts
Theoretically, I could tear mine apart and order bearings to match what I have if there were any i couldnt identify ahead of time....right?
Drop Marlin Crawler an email and see if they have the part number list that they could give to you. ;)

Reactions: CaptainNonsense

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm maybe that explains why my 2nd synchro has been going out. IIRC, the fsm recommends either one. But I should check. I just changed my fluid but I might flush it and replace with gl4.

I do need to get in touch with Marlin, but Ive heard mixed reviews abt their customer service. Especially with how messed up things are right now..

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,832 Posts

Reactions: swampedout

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So will any 1995+ T100 with the same options have the same transmission? There werent any weird changes that would make a junkyard unit incompatible?
Im calling around now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts