Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been throwing around the idea of lifting my 08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Sport Package (has the stock Billstein shocks on) about 2-3 inches. Since I have no idea or knowledge on lifting trucks I thought I would come and search for some experts. Some people buy things and then find out they should have purchased something different "after the fact". I am trying to prevent an "after the fact" issue. I want to lift the truch 2-3 inches and keep the original shocks and rim size. I don't want to change the ride too much and don't want to have to cut, weld or touch anything else. Can anybody post a link to a good brand and package I could go with? I don't know where to start. I did a search on the forum but I could not pin-point a thread detailing my exact questions. I really appreciate any answers in advance...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t189215.html

I'm getting Bilstein's 5100 but I only want to lift .85" so I can use my stock coils and UCA

If you got highter say 2-3", you gonna need to get aftermarket UCA's like Total Chaos... runs like 600 bones.... ouch....

I basically got the 5100 to level out and improve ride.
Thanks for the reply..you can say Ouch again..haha.... I'm not looking to by UCA's or whatever they are for 600 bones....Since I am not familiar with this stuff, maybe that .85 you are looking into will be high enough..I am looking to improve the overall stance of the truck..I want it to look a little more aggressive than stock..I thought with a little lift and some aftermarket tires like the Toyo Open Country A/T would do the trick

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah man, well the cheapest you can go is the bilsteins 5100's for 282 from Sonny at DownSouth Motorsports.

There are 4 settings on the front, stock height, 85", 1.75", 2.5" of lift. Now at 85" I believe you can keep all your stock components and be ok. Some on here have lifted to 1.75" and be ok too.. 2.5" a few have done, but if you do that you gonna have to lift the rear too. The rear bilstein shocks are non adjustable so you gotta go with AAL's or so.

Start small man, go .85" or 1.75".. if you feel you need to go higher, you'll already have a good set of shocks you can build on. Dunno man, good luck

·
let's go...mountaineers!
2006 Tacoma SR5 DC
240 Posts
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...ategory_id=64&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

this is your best bet IMO. i have the spacer in the front and block in the back, and i wish i would've done the coils and aal. it's pretty much inexpensive compared to other lifts you can get, but you still get your 3" without any major modifying. as much as i hate to admit, you should look into getting some UCA's eventually, they are not mandatory but they do help with ride quality. total chaos is not the only brand, light racing is cheaper and there is camburg also. you will probably have to do some trimming on the inner fender wells with the new tires IF you go bigger than stock

·
Rad Red Prerunner
579 Posts
I have been throwing around the idea of lifting my 08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Sport Package (has the stock Billstein shocks on) about 2-3 inches. Since I have no idea or knowledge on lifting trucks I thought I would come and search for some experts. Some people buy things and then find out they should have purchased something different "after the fact". I am trying to prevent an "after the fact" issue. I want to lift the truch 2-3 inches and keep the original shocks and rim size. I don't want to change the ride too much and don't want to have to cut, weld or touch anything else. Can anybody post a link to a good brand and package I could go with? I don't know where to start. I did a search on the forum but I could not pin-point a thread detailing my exact questions. I really appreciate any answers in advance...
Look into the Old Man Emu (OME) 885 Coils, or a simple spacer. Toytech can get you everything you need. http://www.toyteclifts.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,14/Itemid,2/

·
Registered
358 Posts
i wouldn't recommend the readylift. that was my "after the fact" realization. don't get me wrong, it rides nice, doesn't really need the UCA's and it was pretty cheap, but it's only 2.25" of lift instead of 3.

·
yota=good
Tacoma TRD Offroad
74 Posts
Search

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t189215.html

I'm getting Bilstein's 5100 but I only want to lift .85" so I can use my stock coils and UCA

If you got highter say 2-3", you gonna need to get aftermarket UCA's like Total Chaos... runs like 600 bones.... ouch....
How come many people on here run 3" lifts with the stock UCA's?
Are they "really" needed then?

What happens if you don't buy UCA's and run a 3" lift, like the toytec ultimate lift kit?

·
Registered
358 Posts
How come many people on here run 3" lifts with the stock UCA's?
Are they "really" needed then?

What happens if you don't buy UCA's and run a 3" lift, like the toytec ultimate lift kit?

it just kinda "floats" without the UCA's. mine isn't bad, and i've gotten used to it and i don't even notice it anymore unless i get on the interstate, which is about 3 times a year.

·
yota=good
Tacoma TRD Offroad
74 Posts
Thank you Gents...

And, not to highjack, but what are the advantages of ICON UCA's vs. Total Chaos UCA's, or even the Light racing UCA's?

Huge price difference, is it because Icons are "more adjustable" ?

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
You are both wrong

you can't align your truck properly.
Im running 3" of lift stock UCAs and im aligned to spec. Plenty of people have 3" of lift and stock UCAs and they drive just fine. aftermarket UCAs will make it easier to get to spec but it is not impossible with the Stock ones

+1:thumbsup: They also put less of a degree on your cv shafts and reduce the wear and tear on all front diff parts.
UCAs will have zero effect on the CV angle and have nothing to do with the DIff. Get your facts straight before you post next time :headbang:

the other guy was closer to being correct than you. UCAs will allow the truck to be aligned properly reducing wear on tires and the truck will drive better.

They do look sexy tho

·
Registered
202 Posts
you can't align your truck properly... easily?

Apparently I'm wrong because

"UCAs will allow the truck to be aligned properly reducing wear on tires and the truck will drive better. "

um ok

·
yota=good
Tacoma TRD Offroad
74 Posts
Thats why I ask.... I've been reading conflicting information. :ugh3:

I guess it's up for debate... But mod, if you're running stock uca's and are aligned into spec, then how could your truck ride any better with aftermarket UCA's ?

It wouldnt make a difference, if your truck is already straight
Just MHO...

I guess, I'll buy my lift, and see if she aligns... If not, then I'll have to look at aftermarket UCA's

1 - 20 of 34 Posts