Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my rod bolts with new ones, due to the fact that they are old and since i am there i may as well.. but i cant find stock oem bolts. I can find ARP ones every where for bout 50$ not to bad.. But my machinest told me i would have to balance my rods because ARP bolts are heavier.

I dont think i need an upgraded bolt because i have a stock engine so its not like its high performance or high pressure..

So does anyone know where i can find NEW OEM stock rod bolts?

Or does anyone know if i HAVE to or should rebalance the rods if i use ARP bolts?

It is for the 90 yorder i am attempting to build.. should of gotten a long block for 1,100 that had a 7 year 70,000 mile warrenty DOH!!!! but i am in it now...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
What's wrong with the original ones? They are not super high torque so they should still be fine. I would re-use those before I would rebalance the rods. Clean them up on a wire wheel and run a die over them to clean out the threads and you should be fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hrmm, cant say Ive heard of anyone balancing rods due to new rod bolts, but I could be wrong. Dont reuse your stock ones unless you have to though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i am not gonna reuse em.. the person that rebuilt my engine first, incorrectly tighted them down way to tight... soi am not taking any chances with anything on this project.. i have too much money in it.. and this is the second time i pulled the engine... ugh....

thanks for the help...

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Can't get them from the dealer?

talk to engine builder about this. He will give you the low-down and can likely point you in the direction of new oem parts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats just what i did as a matter.. his reply was, " I do this for a living... " so i felt pretty good bout it.. thanks for the help tho.. this forum has proved to be more then helpful..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
undertow29 said:
Yea i am not gonna reuse em.. the person that rebuilt my engine first, incorrectly tighted them down way to tight... soi am not taking any chances with anything on this project.. i have too much money in it.. and this is the second time i pulled the engine... ugh....

thanks for the help...
Well in that case I wouldn't re-use them either. I didn't realize they had already been over torqued.

What did Ted at engnbldr recommend?

·
Registered
142 Posts
undertow29 said:
thats just what i did as a matter.. his reply was, " I do this for a living... " so i felt pretty good bout it.. thanks for the help tho.. this forum has proved to be more then helpful..
LOL...I love that line. Just b.c they "do this for a living" doesnt mean their work is worth a crap.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, yea good point... never take someone's word for it.. :p~ ahh hell i just got the ARP bolts.. cause it was bout the same price..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
3In2Out said:
LOL...I love that line. Just b.c they "do this for a living" doesnt mean their work is worth a crap.
I know that sometimes you have to take what people say with a grain of salt but Ted has been building, racing and selling parts longer than most of us have even walked the face of the earth. His advice is more valuable than most other's. He has a wealth of knowledge in his head that he is usually very willing to share. He does not somply "claim" to know what he is talking about, he has many years of hands on experience to back it up. People don't stay in business for 40+ years and still get the praise he does if they don't do quality work. Ted is definately top shelf.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
142 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
I know that sometimes you have to take what people say with a grain of salt but Ted has been building, racing and selling parts longer than most of us have even walked the face of the earth. His advice is more valuable than most other's. He has a wealth of knowledge in his head that he is usually very willing to share. He does not somply "claim" to know what he is talking about, he has many years of hands on experience to back it up. People don't stay in business for 40+ years and still get the praise he does if they don't do quality work. Ted is definately top shelf.

Just FYI.
Im well aware of the Ted and his work, I was making a general comment. Go try and school some one else.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wasn't trying to school anyone there tough guy. I was simply responding to your post. The way it read, at least to me, was that you didn't trust him when he said he does it for a living.

If you don't want comments then don't post.

·
Registered
142 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
I wasn't trying to school anyone there tough guy. I was simply responding to your post. The way it read, at least to me, was that you didn't trust him when he said he does it for a living.

If you don't want comments then don't post.
Then what were you trying to do? You made an assumption and decided you wanted to try and give a lesson. :rolleyes: If I was talking about Ted, I would have mentioned him.

LOL...right....same goes for you slick. :lol:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
3In2Out said:
Then what were you trying to do? You made an assumption and decided you wanted to try and give a lesson. :rolleyes: If I was talking about Ted, I would have mentioned him.

LOL...right....same goes for you slick. :lol:
I made an assumption based on what you wrote and I explained that. Unfortunately things don't always transate the same in writing as they do in speach. As a result, it sounded to me like you were saying that Ted's work wasn't worth a shit or that at least you can not trust what he says just because he said he does it for a living.

I'm not looking to school anyone. I just wanted to make sure that people reading the post understand that at least some people appreciate Ted's efforts and advice since he has helped out so many people here.

I'm also not interested in turning this thread into a playgorund fight.

Alright there sizzle chest?:lol:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does he post on this thread?

·
Registered
142 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
I made an assumption based on what you wrote and I explained that. Unfortunately things don't always transate the same in writing as they do in speach. As a result, it sounded to me like you were saying that Ted's work wasn't worth a shit or that at least you can not trust what he says just because he said he does it for a living.

I'm not looking to school anyone. I just wanted to make sure that people reading the post understand that at least some people appreciate Ted's efforts and advice since he has helped out so many people here.

I'm also not interested in turning this thread into a playgorund fight.

Alright there sizzle chest?:lol:
sizzle chest....wtf is that?? :lol:

·
Registered
142 Posts
maxpower_hd said:
LOL. It's from The Jerky Boys.

And yes, Ted does occasionally post on here.
Its been ages since I have heard any of their stuff....I need to find some to DL.. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts