Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeking for someone who has knowledge of the 340 automatic transmission in my truck. Had an engine go south on my truck but transmission was great. Worked beyond my expectations. Loved it. I digress, during the swap I damaged the dip stick filler tube and it was leaking so I dropped the transmission pan and repaired the leak. Reassembled the transmission pan and filled the pan with new dexron3 fluid. Now the truck won't move in any shift lever position. It feels like it's in gear in all positions. In park and neutral it acts the same way. Rev the engine and it is under load. It will only rev a little over 2400 RPM. This is mystifying me beyond belief. Anyone who can help me will be appreciated more than you will ever know.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,787 Posts
Did you have to drop the pan to repair or replace the filler tube? Whta is happening when you rev up to 2400 rpms? Fluid levels are back to normal?
It's possible the TCU has detected an issue and has initiated Limp Mode to protect the drive train, that would explain the limit on rpms. You need a scanner that will detect transmission codes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to drop the pan to repair or replace the filler tube? Whta is happening when you rev up to 2400 rpms? Fluid levels are back to normal?
It's possible the TCU has detected an issue and has initiated Limp Mode to protect the drive train, that would explain the limit on rpms. You need a scanner that will detect transmission codes.
I had to drop the pan to repair the dip stick filler tube because it was leaking. After the repair I cleaned the gasket surfaces and used red oil resistant rtv gasket sealer and reassembled it I filled the transmission with fluid and started the engine, rechecked the fluid level and filled the rest of the way. I cycled through the gears with my foot on the brake and nothing was happening. I put the selector in drive and depressed the throttle to see if it would work. Nothing. It felt like it wanted to move but it was like it was fighting itself, as if it were in say drive and reverse at the same time. Even in park the engine will not accelerate above 2400 RPMs and it acts like it's still fighting itself to try and move. I've never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,787 Posts
Sure sounds like the TCU is getting conflicting data and has the truck in Limp. Needs to be scanned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance that because I put my 96 TWD engine in and used the 96 TWD computer that it could have fried a solinoid? This tranny was perfect working. I couldn't ask for a better one. It's so clean that I have a thought that it was rebuilt, especially when I saw how clean and red the fluid was and having 216,000 on the chassis before I built it. I'm trying to find the test procedures for the electronics now.
Sure sounds like the TCU is getting conflicting data and has the truck in Limp. Needs to be scanned.
Where is the TCU located on this and do I need a special reader for it?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,787 Posts
Here is a article on scanners. They plug into the usual OBD2 port. I don't know where the TCU is but I doubt you'll need to access it.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
Any chance that because I put my 96 TWD engine in and used the 96 TWD computer that it could have fried a solinoid? This tranny was perfect working. I couldn't ask for a better one. It's so clean that I have a thought that it was rebuilt, especially when I saw how clean and red the fluid was and having 216,000 on the chassis before I built it. I'm trying to find the test procedures for the electronics now.

Where is the TCU located on this and do I need a special reader for it?
Um...the 1996 ECU is not straight wire harness compatible with the 1997 ECU. You will need to compare/map the harness and see what needs to be switched over. If it was wire harness compatible, people would've straight swapped them out and installed the supercharger without any issues. ;)

Was there anything wrong with yer 1997 ECU? I'm not sure how much of the 1996 engine wire harness is straight compatible with the 1997 ECU. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
Also, what are the specs on the replacement 1996 ECU? 4WD or 2WD? ABS or non-ABS? Auto or manual transmission? Part number would be handy that's printed on the ECU. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, what are the specs on the replacement 1996 ECU? 4WD or 2WD? ABS or non-ABS? Auto or manual transmission? Part number would be handy that's printed on the ECU. ;)
They dont match, I looked at them the other day. I never should have been dumb enough to put it in the truck. The problem is that I ran it with the 4x4 computer before I switched them and it did the same thing. It's an automatic and I'm really bummed about this. When it was hanging down from the jack leaking down overnight and was hanging by the linkage do you think it could have damaged something internal? I really need the factory electrical service repair manual. I just need to know what it looks like to order the right one.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
Besides dropping the pan, did you perform any other maintenance? Did you try replacing the transmission filter? If you did, it's possible that the seal isn't seated all the way. Also, check the wiring harness to the transmission. A multimeter will be useful to check fer continuity and resistance to the ECU. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Besides dropping the pan, did you perform any other maintenance? Did you try replacing the transmission filter? If you did, it's possible that the seal isn't seated all the way. Also, check the wiring harness to the transmission. A multimeter will be useful to check fer continuity and resistance to the ECU. ;)
It's an automatic transmission and I'm not at home right now to check the ECU numbers but I know that the two wheel drive ECU numbers are different from the fwd ECU numbers. I didn't remove the filter because my local parts store couldn't get the right one. I found it online with all three solinoids and gaskets for 56.99. I am going to order the kit just for the filter and keep the solinoids for possible future use. I had to have damaged something in the process of changing the engine, even though I was anally cautious about the wiring and the transmission. I'm just going to track everything from the ECU to the transmission. I just need to know which book to purchase. I can't really afford to buy the wrong one at this point. This pandemic, I've been out of work for a while and running out of savings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've mentioned it to him but he hasn't said anything about it.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
Using www.car-part.com, here are some used 1997 4WD auto ECUs.
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
GOOD CONDITION WARRANTY 89661-0W030 WILL SHIP AS-IS
$140​
WNC Auto Parts LLC USA-NC(Candler) Request_Quote 828-633-0694 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
828​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
3.4,4AC,4WD,CHK-ID
GJ0476
$125​
A-Burlington Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Shirley) Request_Quote 1-800-228-5544 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1572​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
Electronic Control Module, (RH kick panel), 6 cylinder, 4x4, AT,V6 NA DOHC 24V, 3.4,AUTO TRANS-273K
C​
$100​
Valley Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-CA(San-Jacinto) Request_Quote 1-951-925-0595 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1278​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
SR5,3.4L,AT,4X
C​
AH3774
$Call​
MSI Auto Parts USA-AK(Fairbanks) Request_Quote 907-452-2695 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
3251​

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
New from the online dealership is about $800. Part number 89661-0W030. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey BZP, I just had someone tell me that you would know which book I need to purchase. Is this the case? I would definitely appreciate it if you could share it with me. I just want to be sure that I buy the right one first time around. Thanks, Roger.
Do you know if it has the transmission circuit in it? Either way for that price I need to get it. Thank you man I appreciate it very much.
Using www.car-part.com, here are some used 1997 4WD auto ECUs.
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
GOOD CONDITION WARRANTY 89661-0W030 WILL SHIP AS-IS
$140​
WNC Auto Parts LLC USA-NC(Candler) Request_Quote 828-633-0694 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
828​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
3.4,4AC,4WD,CHK-ID
GJ0476
$125​
A-Burlington Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Shirley) Request_Quote 1-800-228-5544 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1572​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
Electronic Control Module, (RH kick panel), 6 cylinder, 4x4, AT,V6 NA DOHC 24V, 3.4,AUTO TRANS-273K
C​
$100​
Valley Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-CA(San-Jacinto) Request_Quote 1-951-925-0595 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
1278​
Engine Computer
Toyota T100
SR5,3.4L,AT,4X
C​
AH3774
$Call​
MSI Auto Parts USA-AK(Fairbanks) Request_Quote 907-452-2695 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
3251​
I'm hoping that the ECU isn't bad but it's better than the transmission that's for sure. Thank you again for all your help with this mess I got myself into. I guess I should have removed the ECU before changing the engine. I wont make that mistake again. Thanks again.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,953 Posts
When it was hanging down from the jack leaking down overnight and was hanging by the linkage do you think it could have damaged something internal?
I'd have to look at some piccies to see if there is any damage to the linkage without guessing. It's possible that you could've stretched the wiring harness as well. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts