Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently I have tires with 235/45R18 measurements and was in a market to purchase a new set. I have set my eyes on the following tires (all Michelin brand) and was wondering if anyone is a red flag to anyone:

Pilot Sport All Season 4 - 98Y (45k warranty)
Primacy Tour All Season - 98V (55k warranty)
Energy Saver All Season - 94V (55k warranty)
Primacy MXM4 Performance Touring All Season - 94V (55k warranty) - a bit expensive for my usage

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't have experience with that list of Michelin tire models. I had Michelin Premiers on my Accord and they were very good, lasted over 60 k miles.

I have ContiExtremeContacts on my Audi A4 allroad. Great tires on that car, 245/45-18. I have General Altimax RT43 on my 2007 Camry V6 XLE, those have been very good also. I put ContiPureContacts on my old Accord, drove on those a few months before I gave the car to a niece, those tires felt similar to the Michelin Premiers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It depends on your style of driving and the amount of use. My used Camry came with ~6 month old Cooper tires (never, ever considered Cooper before) but they are performing pretty well and surprised me in snowy conditions. I've had Mustangs that wore Continentals and Yokohamas satisfactorily and my Rav4 just had Michelin Defenders put on yesterday.
I researched through TireRack.com and separated out the tires I wanted and read through the site's reviews as well as customer reviews. I would recommend doing the same - select the size, filter out the Michelin's and read the reviews on each...look for those that have driven thousands of miles rather than the ones that have a few hundred (everyone seems to love their new tires as soon as they drive out of the shop).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on your style of driving and the amount of use. My used Camry came with ~6 month old Cooper tires (never, ever considered Cooper before) but they are performing pretty well and surprised me in snowy conditions. I've had Mustangs that wore Continentals and Yokohamas satisfactorily and my Rav4 just had Michelin Defenders put on yesterday.
I researched through TireRack.com and separated out the tires I wanted and read through the site's reviews as well as customer reviews. I would recommend doing the same - select the size, filter out the Michelin's and read the reviews on each...look for those that have driven thousands of miles rather than the ones that have a few hundred (everyone seems to love their new tires as soon as they drive out of the shop).
I was mainly looking for an all season tires, even though I live in a, more or less single season area year around. So mainly for warm but wet region. But I might have to relocate to a place where it snows too, so wanted to cover my behind.

That's what I have been doing. Just researching, reading comments, and yes, discarding drivers with less than 5k experience with the tire.

I went with Pilot Sport All Season - 98Y. I've seen a few comprehensive reviews about it, and it punches above the rest. The availability of these tires was also a factor. Some will be available way into the future, and due to supply shortage, some are being price gauged.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't recommend Primacy, had those on mine and grill Edgar I rad seems like after 40k they wore fast. I just put. On Michelin cross climate 2 on last August. They were awesome in winter snow and summer rain we when it pours and ponding it carves right through that as well !!! Lil stiffer and noiser but for true all weather cant compliment them enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't recommend Primacy, had those on mine and grill Edgar I rad seems like after 40k they wore fast. I just put. On Michelin cross climate 2 on last August. They were awesome in winter snow and summer rain we when it pours and ponding it carves right through that as well !!! Lil stiffer and noiser but for true all weather cant compliment them enough.
You are the third person that has expressed disappointment with Primacy (not necessary on this forum). Noted.

I have placed and order for Pilot Sport. I had to cancel the order twice because when I called, they said they either didn't have it or only less than 4. Crossing fingers...

·
BeerSteakTxas
11,019 Posts
You are the third person that has expressed disappointment with Primacy (not necessary on this forum). Noted.
Make it 4 :).
I had 2 sets of Primacy MXV (yes it's a different model but still Primacy line) and both of them lasted just over 20K miles and were replaced under warranty.

I have placed and order for Pilot Sport. I had to cancel the order twice because when I called, they said they either didn't have it or only less than 4. Crossing fingers...
If you really into Michelin I'd recommend Defender TH, by far better choice then Primacy or Pilot if you are looking for all season traction and longer wear.
And take a look at Pirelli P7+II and the newest P7+3.
The P7+ was the best tires I ever had considering the price, traction and tread life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts