Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Specifically a 2002-2004 Extended cab 4-Cylinder 4x4 with Manual and A/C.

What are some things to look out for? Obviously the frame rust will be on the list. I've looked at a few and the frames on both looked treated with some sort of protection.

Was the 4 cyl much better than the 6? I know the 22RE on my '94 is bulletproof (and much more sought after than the V6 on this vintage). If the 6 was improved, I might settle for it.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

·
Registered
'99 Tacoma SR5
2 Posts
I have the exact truck you're looking at. I live in the high rockies and get enough power out of my 4-cyl up here at 8,000 ft even with the 4wd engaged. I get about 20mpg on average. What are you looking to get out of your truck and what will you use it for?

I can say that the pinion bushing goes bad on this truck quicker than I like. But everything else is pretty ideal on this truck and I can't make any generalized complaints.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done! Now part of the Taco Club!

I brought home a 2004 Extended Cab V6 4x4 TRD O/R today!

Thanks for the input. Truck is very clean, and the frame was treated and warranted by Toyota back in April. I had the seller replace the belts, timing belt, and water pump as part of the deal. It has 90k miles so I should be good to go for another 90 at least!:chug:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts