Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91' Toyota Hilux 4x4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be looking to buy around a 2000 model Taco extended cab 4x4 pretty soon.I was wanting a four cylinder five speed.Someone I talked to suggested getting a v6.He said there was not much difference in gas mileage.I have have always been wary of Toyotas v6s being less reliable.I figure they have two head gaskets to blow and a rubber timing belt to break without warning,as well as the additional purchase price..I don't pull a trailer often but I do drive alot so gas milage is more important than power.Just wanting to know what you Tacoma owners think,as I have never owned one.And what year would be best,as they do make minor upgrades year to year.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Yes, there's not too much MPG difference between the 2. There were early HG problems with the 95-97 model V6s but not with the later years, they seemed to have solved the problem. Never heard of a timing belt break when regular maintenance was performed on them. They should be changed out every 90K miles. The main thing to look for on these 1st gen models is frame rust. There is a recall campaign out for 1st gens currently. Good luck!

·
Registered
91' Toyota Hilux 4x4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frame rust?Whussup with that?The only rust my 91 has is on the lower rear of the bed where the old exhaust pipe rotted off at the end and blew condensation on it.I know 80's model trucks had problems with it but I figured they fixed that.

·
Mmmm Cookies....
iM
526 Posts
The 3.4 is a rock solid v6. Many have racked up 200k+ or 300k+ miles on them without any headaches. Also you will enjoy the extra power after living with the 22RE

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma TRD
216 Posts
I have had 3 tacoma's all with V6's and they have been great trucks. Highest mileage was 208,000 with nothing major. Replaced the first timing belt at 125,000 and never did it again. Very very reliable and good running motor. Of course as with anything some people have great luck and others not so much. Hopefully whoever you buy it from took care of it. And the rust issues are pretty much only in areas with lots of salt on the road. I live in N. CA so it's not much of an issue as our highways only get heavy snow and salt a few times a year. MPG is going to be about the same and if you have any kind of hills or load in the back you'll want the V6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally, I would recommend the 3.4 V6 over the 2.7 4 Cyl. I currently own a '04 Double Cab 4x4 (TRD) and get 19-21 mpg on average. That's pretty decent gas mileage, especially for a V6. Plus, I know your not too concerned about power, but the V6 definately helps when needed.

As far as reliability, these 3.4's are bullet proof. I've worked as a Toyota technician for roughly 4 yrs and have seen a TON of shit that people put these motors through... and they LAST! As far as timing belt replacement, it's recommend every 90k, but have seen numerous ones go 120-140k w/no replacement, though I wouldn't recommend it. The only consistent problem that I've seen with these motors is the water pump going out (drip leaking), but it usually was right around the time that the timing belt was scheduled to be replaced anyways, so they were usually replaced hand in hand.

Whichever choice you make, you'll be fine. I'm only bias about the V6 because that's all I've ever had, but I'm sure many of the 4 cyl owners could tell you other wise (and there is no right answer).

Also, do as much research as you can about BOTH motors and test drive both before you make any purchases. The last thing you'll want is to regret anything.

Good luck and happy shopping!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts