Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
So my new commute requires me to take a road with virtually NO streetlamps home, and with my stock gen 3.5 headlights, it is absolute hell!!! After being inspired by a lot of guys on here, I want to do my own retrofit. I got ahold of a pair of gen 3.5 headlights from a local junkyard for 25$, and I figured I would take my sweet old time doing this retrofit. I wanted to use LS430 projectors, but they are INSANELY priced, so I will opt for a set of TSX D2S projectors instead. I also wanted to go ahead and get the CCFL angel eyes... I found a great technique for a retrofit on HIDretro.com which I think will follow. Now have a couple of questions... First of all, before I go pay a 150$ for the tsx projectors and x$ amount for the ballast/ignitors... I was wondering if I would be able to get a set of ls430 lenses and simply put them on the TSX projectors? I want the ls430 lenses because they are apparently a bit better than the rest... They provide a sharper cutoff...Also I found someone on TN who does clear lenses for the gen 3.5 camry, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to somply sand down the stock lenses from the inside? How well does that work with a retrofit? I simply want to sand down the side that will have the projectors. Also, how hard is the rewiring for D2S projectors and CCFL angel eyes? How much does a project like this typically cost(looking for a ballpark figure here, I just want to know how much money should I set aside)? I was also considering a set of RX330 projectors... My plan was to get 2 pairs of CCFL angel eyes, stick them on both the inner and outer spots(high and low beams), and hooking them up to the turn signal and side markets to get them to act as turn signals as well, and stick D2S projectors on the outer(Low beams)... Any opinions or help would be appreciated!!!

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274900&highlight=aftermarket+headlights

shave the lip on the gen3.5 bumper under the grill, get a gen3 grill, get H1 or H7 pigtails(depending on which projector you choose), HID kit and your done.

these lights have the angle eyes, great output, good quality, great cutoff and easy wiering. i was gonna do a retrofit too but after i found these im glad i didnt. though id share it with ya as an option.

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274900&highlight=aftermarket+headlights

shave the lip on the gen3.5 bumper under the grill, get a gen3 grill, get H1 or H7 pigtails(depending on which projector you choose), HID kit and your done.

these lights have the angle eyes, great output, good quality, great cutoff and easy wiering. i was gonna do a retrofit too but after i found these im glad i didnt. though id share it with ya as an option.
These don't look too bad, and they will probably turn out a whole lot cheaper... but would I be able to put a gen 3 grille on my 3.5 without shaving anything off? Or do I have to shave off that little lip?

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
You could modify the gen3 grille to fit over the lip. Although, I would just take my time, and research the gen3.5 retrofit. I did, and I love them. Yeah, you'll pay more to do the 3.5 retrofit, but that way you'll have headlights that are exactly the way you want them to be in every detail.

It took me almost 3 months to put mine together. Everyone who's ever seen them say they're impresseed with the way they look. The only short cuts I took was to install bi-xenon projectors, and get clear lenes from Greg Cheban(mine are the prototype lenses btw). There is or was a DIY on how to sand, and clear the OEM lenses. You could try searching for that (very old) thread, and go from there if you don't want to buy the clear lenses from Greg.

Anyway, it's all up to you.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
did you ever remove thoes guns?:lol:

These don't look too bad, and they will probably turn out a whole lot cheaper... but would I be able to put a gen 3 grille on my 3.5 without shaving anything off? Or do I have to shave off that little lip?
im not sure how to mod the gen3.5 grille to fit the gen3 lights. the gen3.5 grill is shorter and the gen3 and as a result the 3.5 bumper has a lip on it. to get the gen3 grill to fit you need to shave that lip on the bumper. its nothing major, countless members have done it before. if ya can figure out how to mod the 3.5 grill then thats a better option but ive never seen it done.

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
did you ever remove thoes guns?
Nope, they're still in there.:thumbsup: I don't care what anyone thinks, I love them. I've got the most unique headlights of any gen3/3.5.

Anyway, as for the grilles, I have read some just modified the bottom of the gen3 grille to fit over the lip on the top of the gen3.5 bumper. If that's the route you go, cutting the grille is better than cutting the bumper. If anything goes wrong with the cutting, or if you decide to go back to a gen3.5 look, it'll be easier and cheaper to replace a grille, than a bumper.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300D
54 Posts
Go back to the junkyard and look for cars with projector headlamps. I got a set(4 projectors) for ~$50 out of an Infiniti.

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
im just messin with ya man, you were so exceited when ya made thoes:lol:. ya definatly did a good job though so i cant knock that:thumbsup:.
:D I still am excited to have them. I was at Fry's electronics a few weeks ago. When I was walking back to my car saw there were two guys looking at it. I got within ear-shot and I could here them saying how good the lights looked, and wondering where I got them. LOL.

Makes me smile when my lowly, old Camry garners a second look.:clap:Oh, I know I've said it before, bird, Thanks for the alero fog light idea. They really complement the headlights well. I should really get some night shots of the lights, but I'm rarely out when the sun goes down... Oh, well, I'll get around to it eventually.

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could modify the gen3 grille to fit over the lip. Although, I would just take my time, and research the gen3.5 retrofit. I did, and I love them. Yeah, you'll pay more to do the 3.5 retrofit, but that way you'll have headlights that are exactly the way you want them to be in every detail.

It took me almost 3 months to put mine together. Everyone who's ever seen them say they're impresseed with the way they look. The only short cuts I took was to install bi-xenon projectors, and get clear lenes from Greg Cheban(mine are the prototype lenses btw). There is or was a DIY on how to sand, and clear the OEM lenses. You could try searching for that (very old) thread, and go from there if you don't want to buy the clear lenses from Greg.

Anyway, it's all up to you.
Well my thinking is, if I start sanding, wether it be a lip or a grille, I might as well go all out. All ways there is sanding and rewiring involved, might as well do my own. How good are your bi-xenons? Also, how bad is the beam pattern with the stock lenses(no sanding)? Is it all over the place? Honestly, since I will go ahead with the retrofit, I don't mind spending a couple of hours sanding the lenses, but if it makes no difference, might as well save myself the time. There are a couple of people on TN that did their own retrofit, which inspired me... And doing them on my own seems a heck of alot more satisfying, like you said... How much does Greg charge for clear lenses? If it's some symbolic amount, I might as well get them...

Also, I love you "gun" It's awesome. If I were you I would put LED's in there and hook it up to the side markers and the turn signals. it would lookk absolutely amazing :D

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go back to the junkyard and look for cars with projector headlamps. I got a set(4 projectors) for ~$50 out of an Infiniti.
I was actually thinking of that, but because of the area I live in (detroit area) our junk yards are full of american cars... But that's a very good price!!! I will have to look into a yard that deals specifically with foreign cars...

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
Well my thinking is, if I start sanding, wether it be a lip or a grille, I might as well go all out. All ways there is sanding and rewiring involved, might as well do my own. How good are your bi-xenons? Also, how bad is the beam pattern with the stock lenses(no sanding)? Is it all over the place? Honestly, since I will go ahead with the retrofit, I don't mind spending a couple of hours sanding the lenses, but if it makes no difference, might as well save myself the time. There are a couple of people on TN that did their own retrofit, which inspired me... And doing them on my own seems a heck of alot more satisfying, like you said... How much does Greg charge for clear lenses? If it's some symbolic amount, I might as well get them...

Also, I love you "gun" It's awesome. If I were you I would put LED's in there and hook it up to the side markers and the turn signals. it would lookk absolutely amazing :D
My bi-xenons are awesome! They cam out of a BMW 745i. Cutoff is very good. With a stock lens the beam will scatter a bit, so having perfectly clear projector lenses will not make sense without a clear headlight lens. I don't know what Greg charges for a set now. Because he used my oem headlights to make a the prototypes(which are the ones on my car now), and I helped him workout the manufacturing process, he gave me a very good deal on the prototypes. If you want a set from him, you'll have to remove your oem lenses, and send them to him. He'll make a set of clear lenses using your oem ones. Contact Greg for all the details.

I was thinking about putting white LEDs in the guns and use them as DRLs, but I got a bit lazy toward the end of the retrofit, so I just left them as is. Maybe in my next retrofit...LOL

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
Well my thinking is, if I start sanding, wether it be a lip or a grille, I might as well go all out.
i could never justify doing a full bi-xenon retrofit in headlights that are single filiment and that have no clear lenses because of having to shave a small half inch lip on a bumper and literaly 20 mins worth of wiring:lol:. that will be the most expensive route. but if your willin to put in the time and the money(gonna cost alot of one of thoes) then its a fun project.

btw...greg's work is pretty damn good. i bought a set of clear lenses for my gen4 when i had it. very good work.

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My bi-xenons are awesome! They cam out of a BMW 745i. Cutoff is very good. With a stock lens the beam will scatter a bit, so having perfectly clear projector lenses will not make sense without a clear headlight lens. I don't know what Greg charges for a set now. Because he used my oem headlights to make a the prototypes(which are the ones on my car now), and I helped him workout the manufacturing process, he gave me a very good deal on the prototypes. If you want a set from him, you'll have to remove your oem lenses, and send them to him. He'll make a set of clear lenses using your oem ones. Contact Greg for all the details.

I was thinking about putting white LEDs in the guns and use them as DRLs, but I got a bit lazy toward the end of the retrofit, so I just left them as is. Maybe in my next retrofit...LOL
Wow, projectors of a 7 series must have cost a fortune... I am actually in awe of the ls 430 projectors. I saw them out in nevada a couple of months ago on my way to vegas at night and DAMN these things were powerful, and suprisingly, they didn't blind me at all when I pulled ahead of him. But they are insanely priced... I will have to take a look at junkyards and hope that I find some at a reasonable price. My three preferences for the projectors are 1. LS430 projectors 2. BMW E46 projectors 3. TSX projectors... I will spend a bit of time calling local junkyards to see if I can come across a decent pair... If I hvae no luck I will just stick to TSX projectors off of ebay... As for the clear lenses, I'll contact Greg and see what I can get thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
Haha, that woudv'e been awesome!! I'm sure you would have gotten even more looks:naughty:

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i could never justify doing a full bi-xenon retrofit in headlights that are single filiment and that have no clear lenses because of having to shave a small half inch lip on a bumper and literaly 20 mins worth of wiring:lol:. that will be the most expensive route. but if your willin to put in the time and the money(gonna cost alot of one of thoes) then its a fun project.

btw...greg's work is pretty damn good. i bought a set of clear lenses for my gen4 when i had it. very good work.
:lol: true dat, but after seing a lot of retrofit pics on TN, I am getting the inspiration into doing my own... I will actually put off the remote start that I wanted until...well.... maybe forever hehe and defer the funds to my retrofit...

·
How hard can it be?
1996 Camry LE
1,782 Posts
Haha, that woudv'e been awesome!! I'm sure you would have gotten even more looks:naughty:
Yeah, I'll go full on next time. Benz shrouds, bi-xenon(again), gat-gun DRLs:naughty:, maybe some halos...and whatever else I can think of I guess. I may just go over the top with the next set I make.:clap:

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I'll go full on next time. Benz shrouds, bi-xenon(again), gat-gun DRLs:naughty:, maybe some halos...and whatever else I can think of I guess. I may just go over the top with the next set I make.:clap:
Lemme know how that goes :naughty::D That should be an interesting retrofit...

·
Registered
95 camry
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I was doing research, I came across Rx330 projectors that were AFS and Non AFS. What is the difference?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts