Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to stop off and visit a dealership for a test drive. In spite of it being everything I have come to despise about car dealers and dealerships (King Toyota in Deerfield Beach, FL for whatever it's worth), I enjoyed driving the truck and liked it quite a bit. I didn't get to go on the highway, which would be a requirement before I signed anything, it seemed to have a decent amount of getup and go for what it is. The ride height was nice, and the interior was liveable as near as I can tell.

They were pushing the '06s really hard with their $1500 rebate and all that, and were basically offering me an '06 4x4 quad cab with a $30.5k sticker for $27.5 before the rebate. They also had done the old dealership trick of gluing on a bunch of garbage that nobody wants and marking it up another $2k. But, I guess I can expect to pay about $3k below sticker if I ever get around to buying one.

The problem is that they only offered me $20k on my GTO as trade, and I just don't want to take that kind of hit for only owning the car for 13 months (bought it for $30k). No fault of the dealership or Toyota, I'm just not ready for throwing out $10k like that.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for being so helpful in my quest and helping to steer me away from the Nissan. I visited a Nissan dealership and after looking at the truck didn't even bother with a test drive.

Thanks again, and happy Taco-ing.:D

·
2007 Indigo Tacoma
2007 4x2 Tacoma
61 Posts
Like you said not the dealers fault for the trade in value of your gto.

But dont give up hope yet, private sell that thing, your bound to get more.

Then show up with the cash that you got from your gto at the dealer and see what they say about the price.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Private party definitely the best. Might get a decent price from Carmax. The dealer is never going to give you the best deal. They have to recondition, let it take up their floorspace and any heat if something goes wrong.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I bet you could sell that GTO for $25k to a private party. I wouldn't expect to get much more than that though.

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
That's the breaks with buying an "American" car, the moment you drive it off the lot it depreciates like a mother. I'd definitely sell the GTO to a private party, you'd get a lot more than trading it in to the $tealer. They'll try bend you over every chance they get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd avoid trying to sell to Carmax. I've taken two vehicles there in the past for an appraisal - pretty low. I did much better selling private party both times.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The GTO, despite being a really nice car, never caught on well--hence the lousy resale. Better off to try and sell it privately. Won't be easy either........hope you do much better than the 20K they offered.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
TexnNC said:
Private party definitely the best. Might get a decent price from Carmax. The dealer is never going to give you the best deal. They have to recondition, let it take up their floorspace and any heat if something goes wrong.
I have sold 2 cars to CarMax. One was due to a bad trade-in value from a dealer and the other was just an outright sale. I was satisfied both times.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
e1322739 said:
I'd avoid trying to sell to Carmax. I've taken two vehicles there in the past for an appraisal - pretty low. I did much better selling private party both times.
Can't beat it, though, if you are strapped for time. Odds are good you could be sitting on something like a GTO for quite a good while if you are trying to sell it yourself. I had an old ford p/u that stayed in the paper for almost 4 months. I took that thing to Carmax and brought home a check that day.

·
TroY
07 Tacoma TRD Sport
121 Posts
most dealers onlly want to give you KelleyBlueBook ( www.KBB.COM )trade in value.. Edmunds.com give whats called true market value. http://www.edmunds.com/ and has a higher trade in value.. www.nada.com is even higher.. i was able to use the info from these sites to get the dealer to give me more for my trade.. look at theses sites and see how far off the dealer was and maybe try another dealer..

troy

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
e1322739 said:

same here... took a 2001 BMW 540i sport bought new for around 60k... in 2005, carmax wanted to give me 12k for it and they were acting like it was a great deal.... I laughed at them and said "you're joking, right?"......then I took off running from that place I sold it private for much much more......then bought my tacoma!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts