Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed rebuilt motor into 95 4x4 pickup 22re with rv cam. I have been driving for about a year and have been dealing with power issue. Truck idles fine, runs o.k, but lacks power. Going up hill I lose rpm truck only goes 75 with pedal to floor. The truck feels like it wants to go but is bieng held back. Checked head and cam, removed cat, added header, of course replaced all tune up parts. After I installed header I got o2 fault and engine check came on. I have advanced timing retarded timing gone through the head and nothing has changed. Looking in the direction of mass air sensor or o2 sensor. I've spent alot of money not to have truck driving at full potential. Problems started after engine swap. Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently installed rebuilt motor into 95 4x4 pickup 22re with rv cam. I have been driving for about a year and have been dealing with power issue. Truck idles fine, runs o.k, but lacks power. Going up hill I lose rpm truck only goes 75 with pedal to floor. The truck feels like it wants to go but is bieng held back. Checked head and cam, removed cat, added header, of course replaced all tune up parts. After I installed header I got o2 fault and engine check came on. I have advanced timing retarded timing gone through the head and nothing has changed. Looking in the direction of mass air sensor or o2 sensor. I've spent alot of money not to have truck driving at full potential. Problems started after engine swap. Please Help!!!!
how about the injectors fouled up? i bought a 1992 truck w/22re engine.
it would just do 60 straight away. i have been treating the gas w/ seafoam and running hi grade gas. i know the fellow i bought it from was reallll stingy! i have no idea what gas he ran in it? but after 5years of taking care of the truck it has good pickup and will run on up to 80 when need. i also installed a new tps which helped w/the timing advance.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
First, are you sure the cam timing is correct?

Check the compression.

Check the fuel delivery, a weak fuel pump can supply enough fuel under most conditions, but try to put out max power and it may not be keeping up.

The Vane Airflow (VAF) sensor usually causes bucking/ hesitation issues.

O2 sensor issues usually cause the engine to run a bit richer, helping power, But it is possible for the O2 sensor heater circuit to short internally to the sensor circuit, this causes the O2 sensor to "falsely report" a rich condition so the ECM leans it out killing power.

Hope this helps

Victor

·
Registered
37 Posts
timing chain

When i bought my truck they had rebuilt the engine and it was gutless. The timing chain was off a tooth, now with a torker cam it can do 85 sometimes 90 with 32's and 4:56 gears. So my guess is your chain is off a tooth.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
+1 somethings wrong with the engine itself. if all the trouble started then, that's the first place to look.

First off, who rebuilt it and what kind of warranty did you get? second, have you talked to them about the warranty? third, what was included? long block, short block, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I know this is a few years later, better late then never. I eventually found the problem. When I bought the rebuilt motor I ordered it with the camper cam upgrade, I wanted the extra power. After checking everything under the sun we finally pulled the cam. The cam was way off, we were shocked at how undersized it was. I had ordered a stock cam before we pulled it. The stock cam when comparing was bigger then the upgraded camper cam. We put the new stock cam in and the difference was huge, got my power back. Although it was like night and day I still believe that the lifters and the valves also were probably wrong. However at the time I needed my wheels back so I kept the top end as is. So although I never got the power I was looking for It was satisfactory for my uses. Thanks All!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts