Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Camry 97
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i went to change my brakes, i notices my key to the lug nuts was not where it was. :( And i looked Everywhere. So, is there a way to remove the lug nut without ruining the rims? theres barely any clearance where the lug nuts are. And i need new brake pads and roters cause there worn to hell. Also i new rear tires since i knocked of the allignment awhile back...

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
what type of lug nuts are they? If that funky wheel lock pattern is on the outsite (not Gorillas where they have that flower pattern in the inside), go buy yourself a 21mm socket or around that size and hammer it on the wheel lock. It should be tight enough, and then you can take it off. Done this before when my bro lost his, worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
did you keep your lil tag giving the part number??? if you did you can contact the mfg.. to get a replacement for aobut 10 shipped. all lock sets come with a code and P/N number in case of this hell they all give a sticker to put somewhere if you were smart enough to think to put it somewhere.

if you were STUPID and didnt, get a drill and a few bits, or a lock tapper cuz your gon have to get them drilled or have a shop attempt to do it

i suggest the first one if you got a torquey drill.

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,615 Posts
i would go with the MFG method cos that would save u some time.

i think there is also a set of universal lug nut openers. i saw it online recently and i think somebody might have posted it on TN.
it was like 30-50$. can't remember

·
Registered
Camry 97
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toyotacamry1 said:
I would have to say contact the maker of the lug nuts and see what they reccomend.
im going to contact them this morning because they were not open over the weekend.

-------------------------------------

Silver Streak said:
what type of lug nuts are they? If that funky wheel lock pattern is on the outsite (not Gorillas where they have that flower pattern in the inside), go buy yourself a 21mm socket or around that size and hammer it on the wheel lock. It should be tight enough, and then you can take it off. Done this before when my bro lost his, worked perfectly.
they are Gorrilla lug nuts, and they have a funky wheel lock patten on the outside. your method sounds effective but theres barely any clearance already for normal lug nut socket to fit in the lug nut hole on the rim. You understand what i mean? Theres a pic of my rim in my sig. Anyways.. I'll see what I can do tommarrow morning. Maybe that method could work for me...

Did you do any damage to the rims when you did this on your bothers car?

--------------------------------------

Trdkamuri510 said:
did you keep your lil tag giving the part number??? if you did you can contact the mfg.. to get a replacement for aobut 10 shipped. all lock sets come with a code and P/N number in case of this hell they all give a sticker to put somewhere if you were smart enough to think to put it somewhere.

if you were STUPID and didnt, get a drill and a few bits, or a lock tapper cuz your gon have to get them drilled or have a shop attempt to do it

i suggest the first one if you got a torquey drill.
Yes i am stupid. I don't remember any tag giving the part number with the lug nuts. Damnit! I was overly excited when I got home that night and saw my First set of rims. and on that same night, around 10:45, was when i installed it. I still have the box tho but i don't think its going to help much... Im going to call a mfg, couple places and goto pepboys tommarrow and figure out what to do.

--------------------------------------

skewe said:

i think there is also a set of universal lug nut openers. i saw it online recently and i think somebody might have posted it on TN.
Yes im going to try the Mfg. method. Hopefully they can help me out, or give me a few suggestions too. I saw some unversial lug nut openers but i dont know if they would fit in my rim. :(

---------------------------------------

Til then, i cant drive the car and it sucks. Im driving my sisters car at the moment, and her car sucks too. 93' Maxima. :disappoin I still have my old 90' camry but its not registared, need insurance and new inspection. But i may do all this cause i dont want to drive my new camry in the winter.

Well ill keep you guys posted how this goes, thanks for your suggestions guys.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i've lost my gorilla keys twice! (ordering a key takes 2 weeks). What i did was take it to discount tire..and they hammer in a socket and then use their compressor to turn the lock...amazing but true this has worked two times i've lost keys.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if the patter is on the outside go somewhere and get a standard chrome socket and beat it onto the wheel lock. make sure it is good and snug then turn it off. You may want to buy a couple of the sockets though since it is possible you will break one of them. If you use the chrom sockets you should be able to get them over the locks and still fit in the hole where the lugs are.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i can't believe some of the suggestions, screwdriver, welding something....WTF!
I've lost it a few times, you look like a foot to a tire shop, but you pay you dues ($30 bucks) and they remove your locks (intact, not drilled) and if you happen to find the key, less the locks+key to someone here...SIMPLE...some of you all complicate stuff!

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
mr2driver said:
^not all shops can take it off "magicaly" if they dont have the key than youll have to find away to remove them
I've lost the set to my ES once (they opened it without a key)
My sis didnt get a lock when she bough her used accord - the tire shop opened it w/o a key (and lugs were intact)
My camry i've lost the key twice, long story short..they opened it w/o a key - they were gorillas locks not your hobo autozone!
A good shop can open them and keep the lock intact! (i've later sold some of locks+key on other forums!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
mr2driver said:
^not all shops can take it off "magicaly" if they dont have the key than youll have to find away to remove them
As long as there is clearance for an impact socket to go on the lug nut, removing wheel locks are no problem. The socket used for it works on the same principle as a screw extractor, just on the outside.

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
McGuard is the manufacturer of Toyota/Lexus wheel locks. Your Toyota dealer has a master key set. There are only 12 different keys. If you have McGuard locks, take your car there and they can find which key it is and order a new one for you.

·
Registered
456 Posts
skewe said:

if there is such a thing as a universal lug nut opener, what's the point in buying a set of locking nuts? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.