Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ead-of-paris-auto-show-debut-with-612-hp.html

Lotus has just revealed what it claims is just the start of a “new era” for the historic British sports car maker; a 612-hp supercar dubbed the Elite. Output comes from a 5.0-liter V8 (likely sourced from the Lexus IS-F), but rather than that car’s 400+ horsepower number, the Elite makes an incredible 612-hp at 531 ft-lbs of torque.

Lotus will officially take the wraps off its new flagship model at the Paris Auto Show on September 30th, where it will also showcase several other new models.

This 2+2 seater (based on a modified version of the Evora platform) will also be available with a KERS-style hybrid system that allows for added boosts of electric power. That power will be stored in a battery pack and created by converting the heat from braking into energy.

Also of note, Lotus will offer the car with a retractable hardtop.

“Make no mistake, there’s a definite market requirement for the Elite,” said Lotus CEO Dany Bahar, “it’s the ultimate sports car feel with comfort and space. There will always be those who believe that Lotus should stick to small sports cars but we didn’t take the decision to design something like the Elite lightly, it’s based on months of careful research and planning. It’s worth noting this sector has been very successful for us in the past and now the Elite raises the benchmark higher still.”

Those interested in owning the new Lotus supercar will have to be patient, however, as Lotus promises it won’t be for sale until the Spring of 2014.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
So you think Toyota will pull the plug that Lotus is making this car more powerful than the LF-A? JUST KIDDING.

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
Looks great. The weight of 1650 kgs is odd for Lotus as this might very well be the heaviest car they've ever made. I don't think the old Esprit was this heavy.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,736 Posts
Hmmm........I'll see if this car looks better in person. Can't wait for the LA Autoshow in November. I hope Lotus will show it.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
looks like a mazda/maserati. i still like the LFA better (suprise suprise :lol:)

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
So you think Toyota will pull the plug that Lotus is making this car more powerful than the LF-A? JUST KIDDING.
Two different markets. The Elite will only be available with the IS-F's unique 8-speed auto that uses clutch lockup from 2nd-8th.

Toyota probably wouldn't allow the use of the LFA's V10, so they came up with a supercharged 2UR-GSE + KERS. This thing revs to 8000rpm now, so Toyota will be reworking the motor to cope with that, but that will be an awesome sounding motor. Not quite LFA, but more muscle-car baritone sounds that screams at 8000rpm.

I love both types of sounds. It might give the ZR-1's sound a run for its money. ;)

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Toyota probably wouldn't allow the use of the LFA's V10, so they came up with a supercharged 2UR-GSE + KERS.
They're using it on the next Lotus Espirit. Toyota needs to recoup the cost of R&D for the V10.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
They're using it on the next Lotus Espirit. Toyota needs to recoup the cost of R&D for the V10.
We'll see. Toyota has been adamant that the LFA V10 is bespoke. They could come up with another V10 that uses the same principle technologies, but it probably won't be the same.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
But, you said the engine has supercharger on it then why does it need to rev to 8000 rpm since that much power can be attained at even 6800 - 7000 rpm with a supercharger?? :confused:

Having said that, the 8 speed auto in the IS-F is torque-converted automatic, which usually do not handle the stress and heat of high revs well resulting in reliability issues. So I am not sure how it could have an 8000 rpm redline?

p.s. Lexus needs to keep the LFA V10 under the Lexus banner. It is probably the best engine they ever built and is Lexus' halo engine.

Two different markets. The Elite will only be available with the IS-F's unique 8-speed auto that uses clutch lockup from 2nd-8th.

Toyota probably wouldn't allow the use of the LFA's V10, so they came up with a supercharged 2UR-GSE + KERS. This thing revs to 8000rpm now, so Toyota will be reworking the motor to cope with that, but that will be an awesome sounding motor. Not quite LFA, but more muscle-car baritone sounds that screams at 8000rpm.

I love both types of sounds. It might give the ZR-1's sound a run for its money. ;)

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
But, you said the engine has supercharger on it then why does it need to rev to 8000 rpm since that much power can be attained at even 6800 - 7000 rpm with a supercharger?? :confused:

Having said that, the 8 speed auto in the IS-F is torque-converted automatic, which usually do not handle the stress and heat of high revs well resulting in reliability issues. So I am not sure how it could have an 8000 rpm redline?

p.s. Lexus needs to keep the LFA V10 under the Lexus banner. It is probably the best engine they ever built and is Lexus' halo engine.
Well, remember, Lotus and Toyota will be collaborating with each other to build custom powertrains specifically for Lotus vehicles. The transmission will have to be built to specifications, as will the motor.

You'd probably have to run about 12-16psi of boost to achieve 612hp. This isn't a 6.2L LS9, after all, so it's at a displacement disadvantage. With lower boost, and higher revs, you can attain the same thing while making the motor sound more ... exotic. Or perhaps the extra horsepower comes from the KERS system, which is a form of electric supercharging. The KERS system can provide up to 100kW (~75hp) of energy for a short time, but it might be a more modest system with a real supercharger AND hybrid boost.

Besides, as the boost increases, the intake charge temperature dramatically increases on superchargers, so running that amount of boost would prove unreliable over the long run as the risk of detonation increases proportionally to the intake charge temperatures. An A2W intercooler would be mandatory and increases the overall package size. Sure, they could also add a ton more fuel, but that wouldn't pass the stricter emissions requirements this vehicle will be subjected to for MY2014.

The LS9 runs a maximum of 10.5psi of boost with a total displacement of 6.2L and a max power output of 620hp (actually more) using an Eaton TVS (Twin-Vortices Series) supercharger. The LS9's fuel injectors also run at a maximum of 87psi at full load.

Just for reference.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Good info. Let's see how it turns out. Thanks.

Well, remember, Lotus and Toyota will be collaborating with each other to build custom powertrains specifically for Lotus vehicles. The transmission will have to be built to specifications, as will the motor.

You'd probably have to run about 12-16psi of boost to achieve 612hp. This isn't a 6.2L LS9, after all, so it's at a displacement disadvantage. With lower boost, and higher revs, you can attain the same thing while making the motor sound more ... exotic. Or perhaps the extra horsepower comes from the KERS system, which is a form of electric supercharging. The KERS system can provide up to 100kW (~75hp) of energy for a short time, but it might be a more modest system with a real supercharger AND hybrid boost.

Besides, as the boost increases, the intake charge temperature dramatically increases on superchargers, so running that amount of boost would prove unreliable over the long run as the risk of detonation increases proportionally to the intake charge temperatures. An A2W intercooler would be mandatory and increases the overall package size. Sure, they could also add a ton more fuel, but that wouldn't pass the stricter emissions requirements this vehicle will be subjected to for MY2014.

The LS9 runs a maximum of 10.5psi of boost with a total displacement of 6.2L and a max power output of 620hp (actually more) using an Eaton TVS (Twin-Vortices Series) supercharger. The LS9's fuel injectors also run at a maximum of 87psi at full load.

Just for reference.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts

Well I was just joking. But thanks for the info!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
If you look at the front fascia and squint a bit, you will exactly see one car. Honda S2000.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts