Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed this on my 4-cyl 1994 Camry for a while now, but couldnt be bothered thinking about until now :p:

sometimes on startup the engine make a loud clank noise :eek:...
it almost sounds like one of the cylinders is hitting the top of the engine or something like that :eek:...
it doesnt happen all the time, ill say about once every 2 weeks it would do it.....
i doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm when it makes the noise....

after turning the key and hearing that noise, the engine runs like normal....no difference in sound or performance.....

any ideas about what it could be? :hammer:

thanks. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
as you said it could just be the car running cold? sometimes if the car is running roughly, other bit of the car could be vibrating with it... I noticed this on my g/f's car when it was running rought because it was cold, that the air filter housing was loose. but it might also be something like plastic protection sheets that some cars have under the engine bay....

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt really matter if it is cold or not :p:....
i was driving for a little while today, stopped to pick up someone, then started the car again, and it made the loud clank :eek:
and when i say loud i mean LOUD.....if you where standing on the street it would turn heads, and not in the good way :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could it be the starter? my f150 truck makes a similar noise and i know it's the starter, also my old camry made a noise like that which turned out to be loose fly wheel bolts. A loud noise in the engine usually gets worse quickly.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im pretty sure its not the starter......
something is definately hitting something else :eek:
it might be some loose engine parts......but it hasnt gotten worse since i first heard it a few months ago.....
but it only randomly happens.....usually it starts up fairly well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
does it make the noise just once after starting it up, or is it continual? because it may be like 1 loose engine mount or something....

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the car does shake alot at idle, but that happens with or without the clank noise :lol:, its the engine mounts i know, they need replacing :p:

the engine starts with a loud clank, then runs like normal, regular noise and everything.....

it might be an engine mount.....ill get them to check that at my next service :thumbup:

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I think your just holding your key too long after the engine cranks. Let go of the key as soon as your engine has successfully started.

Edit: Wow I was just checking your page and saw this picture:

I havethe same car here in the US. Seeing that picture actually made me a little dizzy. Everything is moved around. One of these days before I die I would like to drive a cam like yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts