Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. New guy here:)

I have a 2001 corolla that has about 62,000 miles on it. I was driving into work and the engine got very loud. It seemed to run ok. I only went to about 55 MPH due to the snow.

The noise sounded like a bad muffler, but it was coming from the front of the car. It almost sounded like it was coming from an area right above the gas pedal. The noise was not constant. It seemed to act up more when I was accelerating. WI was at a constant speedover 50 MPH, the noise stopped. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks!

·
'96 Rolla DX
1996 Corolla DX
531 Posts
Speaking from experience, it still could be your exhaust, perhaps it disconnected up front somewheres. If something is wrong, you should be able to see it by looking underneath the car, or under the hood. My exhaust came off when I was going about 90mph and hit a pot hole. It was like I was in a gutless 5.0 Mustang.:D

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
not necessarily, exhaust comes in pulses, plus at certain rpms it might not leak, for example when lot of hot gasses come out, the crack might close.

Might be the manifold too, those tend to crack too.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If it's ur exhaust leaking it's best to do it sooner then later too, especially if you drive at night or elt your car warm up alot. All the gases elaking thru the pipe leak into the floor of the car making you sleepy. I had that all last winter. :(

·
'96 Rolla DX
1996 Corolla DX
531 Posts
Devilfan said:
Will it still run ok (other than being loud) if the exhaust did disconnect?
If the exhaust hole or crack is up by the motor, and your stepping on the gas near WOT, and you let off, cold air will rush back into the motor and could potentially crack the engine.
Thats what I heard, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.