Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Camry LE and it has been making a hideous noise at 60MPH. It does have a very minor vibration at that speed, but it's the noise that kills me.

I just changed the tires to Bridgestone Turanzas. All tires were balanced and the alignment was performed.

The noise remains. What gives?

Some say it's the wheel bearings, some that it's the C.V. joints.

Any input would be much appreciated.

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
could be your tires, some can be a lot noisier than others. if you look them up on the bridgestone website they should have a rating for noise, and other stuff like wet/dry traction, ride quality, etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the tires thinking that that was the problem. The noise is actually a bit better, but not nearly enough.

·
Prepare tortilla chips.
380 Posts
If you have aftermarket wheels, then I am sure that it is the wheels. If wheel is OEM, then probably something else.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Im with Bob on the tires. I used to have Yokohama tires and they were LOUD! They made this humming noise like an aircraft powering up for take off. It was kinda cool for a lil while; but then it got really annoying.

The tires were amazing though. So strong and so offered so much traction.

·
Registered
56 Posts
elie1133 said:
I have a '98 Camry LE and it has been making a hideous noise at 60MPH. It does have a very minor vibration at that speed, but it's the noise that kills me.

I just changed the tires to Bridgestone Turanzas. All tires were balanced and the alignment was performed.

The noise remains. What gives?

Some say it's the wheel bearings, some that it's the C.V. joints.

Any input would be much appreciated.
How many miles do you have on your camry? Chances are, you might have worn out tranny and motor mounts. Worn out mounts will cause the engine and tranny to sag a little causing humming noises and vibration. Vibration can be caused by worn out suspension like bushings or shocks. Worn out suspension may also cause humming noise too. It can also be your tires, wheels or bearings too. You should have a mechcanic inspect these areas and see what the problem may be.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
does the sound change when you are driving on different surfaces? Concrete vs Asphalt?
If it does, its your tires.
I got Michelin Pilots and they ride pretty quiet, I bought the car and originally had Aquaflush or something and they sucked d ass.
Longer drives were a pain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for your help.

The tires are brand-new as I thought those were the culprit. There was definite damage to the older tires (the tires were cupping) probably related to this problem, whatever it is.

The road surface makes no difference as far as the noise.

The sound peaks at 60MPH. And when I say "peaks," I mean that it's loud and annoying beyond belief. The car gets loud when declerating, too (although not quite nearly so loud). It definitely sounds like a very loud humming (almost like real loud road noise).

Would you go to a Toyota dealer or would a place like NTB be O.K.?

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
wheel bearing(s)...sounds like it.

I am scared (rippedrectumitis) of Toyota dealerships, so choice is yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For all's information. The loud humming that I had been hearing in my Camry was coming from the right rear wheel hub assembly.

The price to replace it in Northern Virginia was $470.00, which included tax.

The car now sounds great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts