Toyota Nation Forum banner

loud noise in 4wd and sticking in 4wd

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Top Teke 
#1 ·
today I put my 89 Toyota pickup in 4h and locked the front hubs when I was going slow it was making noises when I accelerated there was no noise but as soon as I let off the truck would vibrate and make noise. there is oil in the front diff. when I went to take it out of 4h it was stuck in it I took off the shifter boots off and then I got it back into 2h I don't have a clue whats going on. there is also new cv axles on it too

#4 ·
I do apologize for reviving a two week old thread, however this is almost identical to the issue I'm having.

I have a 94 w/ manual hubs. Starting earlier this week, with the weather, I had to use the 4wd on a few occassions. In addition to having the issue about getting the truck OUT of 4wd...it's definitely out of 4wd now, and I'm getting a terrible grinding noise when I drive it from being cold.

It sounds horrendous but it's fairly intermittent. It happens almost entirely at low speed. I'm getting a little bit of a whir at highway speeds, however after a spirited drive on the highway it's generally fine. To me this could possibly be some sort of lubrication issue.

My fear is that there might be an issue with the transfer case, differential, axle, u-joint etc.

Any diagnostic tests? If it's an issue of some sort of oil, I apologize, however this is my first 4wd vehicle...take it easy on me :p

I hope I've given enough information...Thanks in advance!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.