Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a 92 4wd sr5 v-6 and ive noticed that when i cut the well all the way to the left it will make a really loud pop coming from the front left axle? could it be anything else? i have an axle the dealer had sitting in the shop that he gave me. do i need to go out and buy new bearings? how difficult is it to replace? im pretty confident when it comes to working on vehicles, but since ive never worked on a toyota i dont know what to expect?

also, anything else i can do performance wise thats not very inexpensive for a lil more hp and maybe some better gas mileage?

one last thing, is it difficult/ even possible to get a trd locker into one of these trucks?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The popping is most likely your steering stops, nothing to worry about. Just grease them, put new caps on them, or just live with it.

There's not much you can do about the lack of power and mileage with the 3.0. I hear exhaust helps, but I'm skeptical.

It's possible to get the trd locker in the rear, but you have to remove the whole axle and do some minor welding and drilling. Here's more info: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/

Alternatively, you can get an ARB or detroit in there without difficulty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
check the sway arm bushings where the a-arms meet, with my 94' the washers pushed over the sleeve. that made a cracking noise going around turns when the sleeve popped through the hole in the a-arm. about a 50.00 fix if using toyota parts. Just need a wrench ratchet and torches. by the way are your hubs locked in? if they are it could be a cv joint popping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.