Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
lostincali311
2007 Toyota Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the car up on Saturday morning, went and picked up my girlfriend and then we jumped on the freeway to go to San Louis Obispo and I live in Huntington Beach so that makes for about a 3-4 hour drive. Right when I hit 70 mph a LOUD squeal/wining/grinding noise started. I immediately let off the gas and checked all my gauges to make sure they were all in the right spot. Everything was good and when I got below 70 the noise stopped. We were like Hmmmmm that is weird. I just got my car serviced about 2 weeks ago so I have no idea. I started on the throttle again because the noise stopped, right when I hit 75 the noise started up again, then it would go away when I got under 75. It kind of sounds like a pulley because I have had pulley's go out but they didn't sound this bad. I pulled over and pulled into a parking lot and popped the hood. All the belts looked good and at idle there was no indication of them looking like they were bad or sounding bad. I had my gf rev the throttle a little and hold it at high but not too high of a rpm. Everything looked good. I told her if the noise happens again we are driving home.
We got back on the freeway and got to 75 mph and no noise. I went up to 80 and still no noise. We continued to drive and about 15 min before we got to where we needed the noise started up. It was doing it at all speeds. I have no idea why it started and no idea why it stopped. I would like to fix the problem but I am at a loss. On the way home it did it for about 5 min then it did not do it again.

Any ideas to what it is and how to fix it?

ps. I dont have intake or any engine upgrades.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Sounds like a pulley, maybe the air conditioner or alternator. Check to see if the noise only happens when the air conditioning turns on. The Defroster uses the air conditioner to suck moisture out of the air so that could be it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
had the same thing happen to me

i had just changed my oil and i guess i spilled a lil oil on my belt and ac com.. i was so pissed it sounded like crap went got some belt dressing didnt fix it just drove it and it went away finaly goods luck to u

·
Toyotanation
6,975 Posts
Does it do it when you rev the engine at a complete stop?

Does the sound stay constant no matter if you put it into neutral and gun the engine while driving?

Try to check the clearance of the Brake disc shield, and look for anything that might be stuck in there.

Jack the front end up, spin the tires and listen for rubbing.

Check these things and let us know?

We can go from there!

·
Registered
2014 4WD Dbl Cab OR
97 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. Only makes the noise at over 70mph. It almost sounds like an electric noise. Kind of like the sound of tuning a radio (before digital). I never thought about the belt tensioner but I guess that could be it. It doesn't make the noise constantly. It seems more likely to be a wind noise. Is this what the windshield noise is that so many have talked about?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,025 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. Only makes the noise at over 70mph. It almost sounds like an electric noise. Kind of like the sound of tuning a radio (before digital). I never thought about the belt tensioner but I guess that could be it. It doesn't make the noise constantly. It seems more likely to be a wind noise. Is this what the windshield noise is that so many have talked about?
Okay you guys/gals, let's not put in the windshield buzzing noise here as his description is different and it eventually happened at every speed. Windshield buzzing noise requires a wind speed (vehicle speed + wind gust) of around 80 -90 mph and is well documented in the forums (and there's even a TSB on it).

·
so what
184 Posts
Ive experience the same thing also. This usually happens when Im going around 80+ mph. Its coming somewhere around the passenger side windsheild/dash area. This happens when Im on a long stretch on the freeway (HWY 395 to Mammoth). My guess is it due to wind noise. It gets annoying but I turn up the radio or let go on the gas. Still looking around here for a solution. Im up on the warrenty. Glad to here Im not the only one with this problem

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
Ive experience the same thing also. This usually happens when Im going around 80+ mph. Its coming somewhere around the passenger side windsheild/dash area. This happens when Im on a long stretch on the freeway (HWY 395 to Mammoth). My guess is it due to wind noise. It gets annoying but I turn up the radio or let go on the gas. Still looking around here for a solution. Im up on the warrenty. Glad to here Im not the only one with this problem
That's the windshield buzzing noise. Here's a link to the TSB with instructions on how to fix it (since you're out of warranty).
http://clem.mscd.edu/~reesegr/NV006-07.pdf

·
lostincali311
2007 Toyota Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it do it when you rev the engine at a complete stop?

Does the sound stay constant no matter if you put it into neutral and gun the engine while driving?

Try to check the clearance of the Brake disc shield, and look for anything that might be stuck in there.

Jack the front end up, spin the tires and listen for rubbing.

Check these things and let us know?

We can go from there!

The noise did not happen if the car was idle and when reved up. I will check on if something is stuck when I get home. It sounded like a pully noise/grinding noise. I drove around on the freeway and the noise did not happen again. I will let you know what the dealer says.

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
Damn wished I knew about these things before warrenty was up. Ive seen some other pdf for these tsb. Where do you guys get it from?
Googlegooglegooglegoogle...well you get the picture.

Oh, and you can search for recalls and complaints at NHTSA's website (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm) but you won't find the details of the TSB...just the issue...and not all of them are there.

Sorry Graygoose, don't mean to hijack your thread:cool:. Just trying to keep others from muddying the waters for ya.:thumbup:

·
lostincali311
2007 Toyota Tacoma
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, well I know what causes the noise to happen. I drove to Flagstaff, AZ and on the way there it did not make the noise. On the way back it did it about 75% of the time. On the drive there we are going with the wind so gusts are not hitting the car as hard, but on the way back it was nuts. Its a 7 hour + car ride and by the end of the trip I wanted to drive my truck off a cliff. The wind hitting the car is causing something to make a very Loud grinding noise/squeal, it sounds like its coming from the front left of the car. I pulled over 4 times and checked everything. NOTHING. I am willing to sell my car if the dealer cant fix it. It is LOUD. The wind hitting the car has to be a strong gust to make the noise and driving through AZ it gets a little gusty. It started up after I got my car serviced at the dealer. I dont know. help?

·
Registered
tacoma
156 Posts
yes my truck squeeled also at around 70+
i went to the dealer and it turns out that the rubber sealing on the top of my windshield was a little loose so they just resealed it and it doesn't do it anymore. so check your windshield and see if the rubber sealing is sticking out a little or if it is loose. that should be the problem from the sounds of your description.

oh and when i went to the dealer they test drove my truck and they couldn't here anything so then my dad went in the truck with them and then the noise happened. apparently some one else came to the dealer before with the same problem and they fixed it. so mine was a breeze after they figured it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.