Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '90 SR5, 3.0 powered (or underpowered depending on how you look at it ) ext. cab, 4x4 has what I would best describe as some of the worst brakes I have ever had.
I have to nearly mash the damn thing throught the firewall to get it to stop decent.

Let me start off by saying that there are new pads up front, shoes in the rear, new master cylinder, completely bled icluding the LSPV with all new DOT3 fluid. The drums were turned although they were really good beforehand. The front calipers show no sign of problems as the pads wore evenly and have no leaks anywhere. The only thing I have not done is turn the rotors but I might just for the heck of it.

The booster is fine, there is no apparent trouble with the rear ABS as I have toroublshot that entire system. All rubber flex hoses are good and do not "bulge" anywhere when the pedal is to the floor.

My truck has the stock sized, 31/10.50-15 BFG All Terrain TA's which are in excellent shape.
With the engine running I can push the pedal hard enough to bottom it out as I can feel it. Maybe the assist helps me to do this--I dunno. I could not get this truck to lock the wheels up if I tried to.

It does stop okay but not as well as I think it should. Is there some commonality of these similar trucks to suffer from inadequate braking?

I might opt for a little better brand of pads but I stick with the organics so I don't have to replace the rotors from being chewed up by the more aggressive compound pads.

Is there something you folks can recommend in the way of pads/shoes or the like?
Do any of you share the same maladies with your truck?:sosad:
Thanx,
Bud

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
check the calipers and wheel clinders, I had a caliper that was hanging up nad it was the cause of alot of my previous issues.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Do you have play in your front wheel bearings?

This can cause the rotor to "tilt" pushing back the pistons in the caliper which then must be pushed back out before pressure builds in the system.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
If you can put it to the floor, you have air in the line.

Also, realize you have about a 4,000 lb vehicle there; it won't stop like a Honda Civic. My '94 stops fine, but it certainly won't compare with my 2000 Civic which weighs about half that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts