Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting the tires on our 07 camrey and they will need to be replaced soon over 3/4 worn:disappoin. We have 12k on the car and I rotate every 4k with the oil change. My wife is not going around corners doing 80 either:burnout:. I have 40k on my honda and will get another 10-20k before replacing.
Between the foul oder from the vents/horrible service department our toyota experience is coming up short.:rant:

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
427 Posts
What tires, size and model camry? For the odor, set controls to outside air and blower on full. Spray lysol at the base of the windshield for about 30 seconds. Do this monthly.

·
480 HP 2.4L = lying ricer
06 Camry LE 2AZFE A5
4,741 Posts
I was inspecting the tires on our 07 camrey and they will need to be replaced soon over 3/4 worn:disappoin. We have 12k on the car and I rotate every 4k with the oil change. My wife is not going around corners doing 80 either:burnout:. I have 40k on my honda and will get another 10-20k before replacing.
Between the foul oder from the vents/horrible service department our toyota experience is coming up short.:rant:
:sosad: Welcome to TN! It's always great to see that someone's first post is ranting and crying.

I'm guessing that you have an alignment problem or a tire pressure problem. Inspect your tires frequently when you add air to them monthly. That's a maintenance issue.

A simple $40 maintence at your Toyota dealer will solve you foul smelling A/C problem. It's not Toyota's fault the mold, fungus, and mildew build up in cool, dark, and wet places. You can also easily fix this problem yourself.

I bet you really flip out if you ever get a flat tire, or something seriously does go wrong with your car...

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Toyota put 2 new tires on my 07 Camry at 20k miles free of charge, because of premature edge wear caused by a bad alignment. take it to the dealer and ask for goodwill assistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sosad: Welcome to TN! It's always great to see that someone's first post is ranting and crying.

I'm guessing that you have an alignment problem or a tire pressure problem. Inspect your tires frequently when you add air to them monthly. That's a maintenance issue.

A simple $40 maintence at your Toyota dealer will solve you foul smelling A/C problem. It's not Toyota's fault the mold, fungus, and mildew build up in cool, dark, and wet places. You can also easily fix this problem yourself.

I bet you really flip out if you ever get a flat tire, or something seriously does go wrong with your car...
Well if there was something good to say, then I would but no such luck here.
TIRES: ALL the tires are wearing evenly. If you read my post you would find that I do maintinance. What more do you suggest then rotating every 4k? every 2k? I do not understand..... The car tracks straight and there is nothing funny or weird. Plain and simple tires are good for 24k MAYBE....
This is a new car... You may not mind spending $40 to have the ducts cleaned out but I certainly do. I have never had a new smell like crap such as this. You are right it is not Toyoto's fault that mold grows in dark cool places but it is there fault on the design of the part. I should not have to compensate for their poor design. :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well if there was something good to say, then I would but no such luck here.
TIRES: ALL the tires are wearing evenly. If you read my post you would find that I do maintinance. What more do you suggest then rotating every 4k? every 2k? I do not understand..... The car tracks straight and there is nothing funny or weird. Plain and simple tires are good for 24k MAYBE....
This is a new car... You may not mind spending $40 to have the ducts cleaned out but I certainly do. I have never had a new smell like crap such as this. You are right it is not Toyoto's fault that mold grows in dark cool places but it is there fault on the design of the part. I should not have to compensate for their poor design. :lol:
Again, what tires do you have? If they are the Toyo Proxey J33's, those are Summer performance tires and have a treadwear rating of 220, they will only last a tad over 20k miles... I replaced all 4 of mine at 25k, they were bald.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, what tires do you have? If they are the Toyo Proxey J33's, those are Summer performance tires and have a treadwear rating of 220, they will only last a tad over 20k miles... I replaced all 4 of mine at 25k, they were bald.
Potenza. These are the ones that came on the car. Assumed they were all pretty much the same except for the hypo tires.

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
427 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza's are also a performance tire. You may have a treadwear rating between 180 and 220. The edges will ALWAYS wear faster on any tire unless it is way overinflated. Underinflation will cause them (edges) to wear faster. I have no idea what your inflation pressure is so I cannot say if that is a contributing factor. Alignment? I doubt it and if so it is covered 12-12.
As far as a bad design goes on the blower smell, you can end the problem by running your ducts on fresh air after doing the Lysol thing which I mentioned in my first post. Running the system on fresh prevents the mold growth. All cars do this not just Toyota products.
I do agree with you regarding the tire wear. Toyota's choice in tires has not been the greatest. However they do this for 2 reasons, availability and pricing. They are a manufacturer who is in business to make money. For your replacement tires I suggest shopping for a tire that has a treadwear rating of at least 400 or better.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Potenza. These are the ones that came on the car. Assumed they were all pretty much the same except for the hypo tires.
My OEM Bridgestones will make 40,000 miles but I keep air in them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would assume he has an SE then.
The performance tires that come on the SE STANDARD have a short life.
It is even in the Information packet on the Camry if you read the small print that the stock tires on the SE will only last for around 20,000.
That is also why they offer as a free option to change the tires to the normal All-Season tires, also in the small print under the options packages.
Number 17 or 18 I believe on the options but don't hold me to the number :)

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
I would assume he has an SE then.
The performance tires that come on the SE STANDARD have a short life.
It is even in the Information packet on the Camry if you read the small print that the stock tires on the SE will only last for around 20,000.
That is also why they offer as a free option to change the tires to the normal All-Season tires, also in the small print under the options packages.
Number 17 or 18 I believe on the options but don't hold me to the number :)

Its option code AS gets you the All- Seasons tires. For SEs

·
Registered
97 Posts
Akira :)

I was quoting the note number in the Camry Information packet I wasn't trying to get the dealer code
You know when it says see option number 16 and 17, 16 is the description that states you will only get around 20,000 miles and 17 details the AS option.

But now everyone has 2 references hehe.
And at least you verified that I was correct in stating that, thank you.

·
Registered
04 Subaru Forester
382 Posts
its possible it may be a problem with the tires and that there were multiple complaints with the 07s. my 08 came with the bridgestone turanzas not the potenzas. might be because of the wheels on it but i dont know

Bridgestone Potenza's are also a performance tire. You may have a treadwear rating between 180 and 220. The edges will ALWAYS wear faster on any tire unless it is way overinflated. Underinflation will cause them (edges) to wear faster. I have no idea what your inflation pressure is so I cannot say if that is a contributing factor. Alignment? I doubt it and if so it is covered 12-12.
As far as a bad design goes on the blower smell, you can end the problem by running your ducts on fresh air after doing the Lysol thing which I mentioned in my first post. Running the system on fresh prevents the mold growth. All cars do this not just Toyota products.
I do agree with you regarding the tire wear. Toyota's choice in tires has not been the greatest. However they do this for 2 reasons, availability and pricing. They are a manufacturer who is in business to make money. For your replacement tires I suggest shopping for a tire that has a treadwear rating of at least 400 or better.
the jeep i drove did the same thing. and it smelled terrible

·
2007 Black XLE V6 Camry
422 Posts
Yokohama YK520 has a treadwear rating of 520, pretty good and 60k warranty.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rc=LAIINT&tpc=YOKHHM&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=YOKHHM

They are exclusive to Discount Tires / America Tires (www.tires.com). They are the cousin to Yokohama Advan Series (H4s/V4s)

Pretty quiet, comfortable, quality tires. Got a set of these over the weekend for 17" GS Rims I got recently.

http://www.yokohamayk520.com/

Assurance Of Value
• UTQG 520/A/A
• M+S All-Season Rating
• H & V-Speed Ratings
• 60,000-Mile Limited Treadwear Warranty on 15"-17" sizes, excluding 45 series

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
Akira :)

I was quoting the note number in the Camry Information packet I wasn't trying to get the dealer code
You know when it says see option number 16 and 17, 16 is the description that states you will only get around 20,000 miles and 17 details the AS option.

But now everyone has 2 references hehe.
And at least you verified that I was correct in stating that, thank you.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I have those as well and they do wear extremely easily, and I'll be lucky if they last 20K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I keep the tires inflated at 35psi on all 4. It boils down to cheap tires.:( I have been told to run the outside air but the air quality in TX is horrible. It works my sinuses over pretty bad for any extended time outside. Time to move.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and tips.:D

·
2015 Corolla S Premium
1,246 Posts
I keep the tires inflated at 35psi on all 4. It boils down to cheap tires.:( I have been told to run the outside air but the air quality in TX is horrible. It works my sinuses over pretty bad for any extended time outside. Time to move.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions and tips.:D
A/C smell is always "due to condensation." "Condensation" is an entirely natural phenomenon that is totally, entirely unrelated to the brand or design of a motor vehicle. Pure and simple, if you run your air conditioner, it runs at a much lower temperature than the outside temperature, and therefore you will get condensation in the system.

Now, condensation in of itself doesn't cause any odor -- rather, it's when you let an enclosed area sit around for hours in a wet condition -- y'know, like when the condensation sits around in your air conditioning ducts for hours -- and then you get mildew. And, yes, mildew doesn't smell very good.

So, the solution is simple, and it's pretty comprehensively published all over the Internet: At some point while you're running your air conditioning, you have to TURN IT OFF AND LET IT DRY OUT. Like, for instance, some point before you reach your destination. A few blocks before you reach your destination might well be enough. Running ambient-temperature air through the thing while it's wet will dry it out quite quickly.

If you don't do that, though, then you might indeed get mildew in your air ducts. And, if you notice an odor, you most certainly do have mildew. So, the "fix" is to either "do it yourself" by spraying Lysol in your air intake and letting it run, or you can find specific automotive A/C sprays that may or may not do a better job. Or, you can take it to your dealer and they'll scalp you to do the same thing, if you prefer.

"Smelly A/C" is not your car's fault -- it's YOUR fault. Some cars may be a bit more prone to build up more condensation than others, probably due to the effectiveness of the A/C system, but it's your responsibility to "let the condensation evaporate" if you don't want to build up mildew in the system. And, once you let mildew build up, you have to do something to get it out of there. It's really just that simple.

As for your tires, it's a combination of two things:

1. Yes, believe it or not, "OEM" tires aren't the most expensive, longest-lasting tires car manufacturers can find. Gosh, it actually runs about the other way around. Go figure!

2. In your case, you have PERFORMANCE TIRES that aren't necessarily "cheap," but rather, are "soft." They're made with a softer rubber compound, which helps them "grip the road" better than the much, much, much harder compounds that high-mileage tires are made with. So, yes, they don't get nearly the kind of mileage that normal "passenger car" tires get.

To "blame Toyota" about these issues is utterly absurd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A/C smell is always "due to condensation." "Condensation" is an entirely natural phenomenon that is totally, entirely unrelated to the brand or design of a motor vehicle. Pure and simple, if you run your air conditioner, it runs at a much lower temperature than the outside temperature, and therefore you will get condensation in the system.

Now, condensation in of itself doesn't cause any odor -- rather, it's when you let an enclosed area sit around for hours in a wet condition -- y'know, like when the condensation sits around in your air conditioning ducts for hours -- and then you get mildew. And, yes, mildew doesn't smell very good.

So, the solution is simple, and it's pretty comprehensively published all over the Internet: At some point while you're running your air conditioning, you have to TURN IT OFF AND LET IT DRY OUT. Like, for instance, some point before you reach your destination. A few blocks before you reach your destination might well be enough. Running ambient-temperature air through the thing while it's wet will dry it out quite quickly.

If you don't do that, though, then you might indeed get mildew in your air ducts. And, if you notice an odor, you most certainly do have mildew. So, the "fix" is to either "do it yourself" by spraying Lysol in your air intake and letting it run, or you can find specific automotive A/C sprays that may or may not do a better job. Or, you can take it to your dealer and they'll scalp you to do the same thing, if you prefer.

"Smelly A/C" is not your car's fault -- it's YOUR fault. Some cars may be a bit more prone to build up more condensation than others, probably due to the effectiveness of the A/C system, but it's your responsibility to "let the condensation evaporate" if you don't want to build up mildew in the system. And, once you let mildew build up, you have to do something to get it out of there. It's really just that simple.

As for your tires, it's a combination of two things:

1. Yes, believe it or not, "OEM" tires aren't the most expensive, longest-lasting tires car manufacturers can find. Gosh, it actually runs about the other way around. Go figure!

2. In your case, you have PERFORMANCE TIRES that aren't necessarily "cheap," but rather, are "soft." They're made with a softer rubber compound, which helps them "grip the road" better than the much, much, much harder compounds that high-mileage tires are made with. So, yes, they don't get nearly the kind of mileage that normal "passenger car" tires get.

To "blame Toyota" about these issues is utterly absurd.
I have worked on many cars in my time and know exactly how condensation/mold/mildew occurs. I have owned numerous cars with A/C and the Camry is the only one where I have to jump through hoops to keep the car from smelling like a garbage dump on a hot summers day. Although you may find it seemingly "normal" for your new car to smell atrociousand more so offensive after 1 year of driving, I do not.
Lets redirect for a moment; If the industry standard is "all cars get a noisome smell if you have A/C" and you will jump through hoops to correct it, then you are on the mark, blame on the industry and accept this as a by-product of having chilly air in your auto. This point of view is the natural process of cooling and heating air or as you put it "natural phenomenon"
Bottomlime it's a design flaw. The water does not drain properly and the excess water sits and becomes stagnet. Do your research! Toyota designs the part/tells the mfg how to make it/Toyo installs/we deal with it. How is this not Toyota's fault? ohh how ignorant of me....it's my fault for not dealing with their design flaw.
We are not talking about the entire industry but on certain Toyota cars. I am not sure where you live, but turning off the AC a few blocks before home is not an option in TX, where it gets up to 100+. If you make a subpar product and it causes issue(s) then they are the blame. Some address the issue head on while others run and push off on others. These tyes of people just crack me up.:lol: Just shows how much they believe in the product.

I am aware that soft tires = lower milage. The tires are made to go 20k and that is what they do....20k. Just not sure why they put "performance" tires on a 4cyl auto sedan(cheaper). This is not a race car. ha ha ha :burnout::burnout::burnout:The cheap OEM Michelen's that came on my Honda are 1/2 worn at 40k. Darn cheap OEM tires. I guess that is my fault as well?

Thanks for the entertaining and commical thoughts. :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts