Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Remove bottom dash cover

2) Lie down on your back (push seat all the way back and steering wheel up) and locate the ignition cylinder with a flashlight and find the wire that connects the bulb, I've highlighted it here:

3) Once you've located the harness, gently pull the harness out (it doesn't twists, just pulls) and remove the bulb (it's a socketed 74 that slides right out):

4) You'll compare the bulbs and notice the LED isn't as round as the old halogen:

5) You'll now use a dremel on low-rpm and a sanding disc to modify the LED's base to be smooth and now slide completely in the socket (securely). What you should get when your done is something that looks like this:

and wah-la, you simply reinstall the bulb, put the trim pieces back on and presto, you're done.

Here's some pics of my entire interior for you guys to see what's possible. I should mention that once I get a working clock that will be converted to white as well. :)

Total list:

White LED___
-Gauges
-Ignition ring
-Cigarette ring
-Climate controls
-Shifter base

and the orange ECT button

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
Damn! :yikes:
maybe when i dont have a life this summer i'll do that... any REALLY difficult things you'd need to get/use?

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bluefusion6851 said:
Damn! :yikes:
maybe when i dont have a life this summer i'll do that... any REALLY difficult things you'd need to get/use?
If you have a soldering iron and a dremel tool with 60/40 resin-core you can easily do your entire interior, that's all I really needed.

·
camry> /RAPES\ <honda
175 Posts
any way to turn it all RED ???????????????????????????????

·
camry> /RAPES\ <honda
175 Posts
WHOOTTT>>. do they make em :) and where can i buy em. ???... didnt know they had red

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
looks as clean and nice as always mark :cool: great work :thumbup:

Keri

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
looks nice :thumbup:

only question is this tho: how bright is it at night? is it blindlingly bright?

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eye8Pussies said:
looks nice :thumbup:

only question is this tho: how bright is it at night? is it blindlingly bright?
The climate controls are a bit dimmer than the gauges, but that's because it's 4 194's and a 74 in comparison to 1 74 bulb (which does in fact cover all 3 of the climate control knobs).

The new lighting scheme is still adjustable with the stock dimmer so you can dim it to taste. I personally leave it cranked just because I like things to be very easily readable.

It's a bit brighter than stock but nothing blinding. :)

·
Always Under Construction
94 Camry XLE
998 Posts
i did my gauges in the green LEDs just to be different and it looks awesome, bright, but not blinding, althou sometimes i can't stop looking at my dash because the LEDs are real green, not greenish/yellow...will post pics when i can...

thanks mark for the excellent DIY and helping me out!!!

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
I like it

·
"get right! or get left!"
2005 Camry XLE
215 Posts
wow thas nice. i like it ;] ive been wanting to do the green in my car switched to white but im wayyyy lazy. so i here u Snake haha.

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
i like the touch to the ECT button. does that button light up stock??? if so mine is burnt out. might go with the red like u did. i like it!!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts