Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 272 Posts

·
Ken
'09 TCH
410 Posts
Irrelevant and long as the little disc is centered. The spring being there is only because of the orientation of the valve being horizontal. All the spring does is hold the little disc in the center of the orifice. When positive or negative pressure is applied to the valve, the disc moves one way or the other.

Most vertical valves and a lot of the older PCV valves did not even have a spring. The disc was just held in position by gravity. Again the positive or negative pressure would move the disc up or down.

Now, if the disc were off center or leaning down at an angle or if the valve cannot hold vacuum one way or the other.... Absolutely that would be grounds for replacement.
Did this solve your oil consumption problem? I've got 75k miles on our '09 and it uses about a quart in 5,000 miles but it would be nice if this would fix the problem.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Did this solve your oil consumption problem? I've got 75k miles on our '09 and it uses about a quart in 5,000 miles but it would be nice if this would fix the problem.
No. I remember it being pretty dirty though. I probably need to remove it and clean it again. Only takes a couple minutes. In fact since I last posted in this thread I was at around 163,000 miles and consuming about a quart every 7500 miles. That number has jumped a little to a quart and a half every 7500 miles. Car now has 213,000 miles on it.

·
Ken
'09 TCH
410 Posts
Do you change the oil at 7,500 miles? Sounds like your problem is about the same as mine but with a lot more miles on the car.
As long as it doesn't get any worse I can live with it. We bought a new Prius for my wife so the Camry will get minimal miles on it.
Three more years before I replace the TCH with either a new Camry or Avalon.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Do you change the oil at 7,500 miles? Sounds like your problem is about the same as mine but with a lot more miles on the car.
As long as it doesn't get any worse I can live with it. We bought a new Prius for my wife so the Camry will get minimal miles on it.
Three more years before I replace the TCH with either a new Camry or Avalon.
Yes, when Toyota said I could switch from 5,000 to 10,000 mile intervals, I split the difference and do it at 7500 miles. That was back when the car had around 70,000 miles on it.

I don't feel comfortable going to 10,000 miles without doing oil analysis like I have done on previous cars (diesels) and I really don't want to pay for that anymore either.

It is weird how the oil consumption was up and then dropped for almost 100,000 miles and then started creeping back up again. Now I can count on using about 1.5 qts. between changes. Being low on the stick has never been a problem. I check the oil every weekend and top it up a few ounces if needed.

I still cannot get over how reliable and how low the maintenance has been on this car! I would buy another one in a without hesitation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Solve your Camry Hybrid Knocking/Clunking/Annoying Problem

For those of you that might run across this thread in 2015 and still have your old TCH... I've seen this problem all over the internet in forums and YouTube videos.

Here's what I can come up with:

1. Fuel Injectors
2. "Faulty" (Dirty) Intake Manifold
3. Lack of Lubrication

FUEL CLEANER
To solve 1-2, use a fuel injection cleaner. Amsoil PI (30-60%) or Redline SI-1 (30-39.9%) are the only ones that still list PEA in their MSDS. I've seen a forum post where someone called Chevron and an engineer "hinted" that Techron still has PEA... no use risking it.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2504457
Do this to a tank of gas ~500 miles BEFORE an oil change. Consider a 10k or 20k (at least) regimen prior to your scheduled oil changes.

OIL
To solve 3, you probably need to upgrade to a higher quality/cleaning oil. Make sure you're using a 0w-20 . The # of starts/stops a hybrid makes are crazy, a 0w-20 will get to the valve train more quickly. A high quality cleaning oil (Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Redline) will do OK, something like a couple of cycles of Auto-Rx will get it done quicker. Replace it every 5k. If you want to go longer, I use Amsoil's Signature Series 0W-20 every 10k and am riding/starting on clouds at 120k.

SPARK PLUGS
Also, to help with engine smoothness and limit engine wear and oil stress, change your spark plugs more often than a regular ICE. Hybrids eat them up quickly. Try the new Denso Iridium TT (0.4 iridium and 0.7 platinum mm tips). Check at 30k and evaluate whether they need replacing. I find that NGK Iridium IX (0.7 mm tip) last 30k before the gap widens too much and engine doesn't start/stop as smooth as it used to. I'm just now giving the new-to-our-engine, dual-tip Denso Iridium TT a shot. Denso Iridium Power (0.4 mm tip) won't even last the 30k before the gap comes out at .051" and the center electrode looks like a plateau.

I follow all these and my TCH starts up very smooth in the morning and for the rest of the day. I can barely even tell when the engine starts/stops in city traffic. I can also tell, very easily, when it's time to check/replace spark plugs... I begin to hear more knocking/clunking during starts/stops.

You should also check Toyota's site for recalls as I've seen some reference oil burning and power steering failure.

Good luck!

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
Most of those noise are just attributed to lack of oil on the top end portion of the engine when parked overnight (or for a long time) That's why it's important that a good oil is used (such full synthetic 0w20) to fill that top end quickly upon startup and cold weather conditions. Also the condition of the anti-drain valve on the oil filter is important (or the oil filter itself), if it's not sealing well then most of the oil is drained down to the oil pan instead of holding it up to where it was when the engine was shut off.

If it's an issue with your plugs or injectors then it will happen all the time, not just on startup. IMO plugs actually last longer on Hybrid since the engine is not used that much, it doesn't provide spark or fuel when needed.

·
6,481 Posts
Oil consumption recall - what it takes?

I received final letter from Toyota advising to connect with a dealer to determine if my VIN falls into high oil consumption ones and qualifies for under the recall repair.
Also mentions warrenty extension into late 20016 and to 150 000 miles, which is ways far for me at 110 000.
My question is - has anyone done this?
What does dealer do to determine consumption? I know Honda does oil change and seals the engine then owner has to come back in specific time and they determine what was used.
How much of a hassle is it from Toyota?

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
"lincoln...." something here. Forum member had his engine redone by Toyota if I remember correctly. I remember a few folks posting about that on here. Not many though.

Mine uses about 1.5 qts. now over 7500 miles. It has always used a quart or a bit less over those miles. It actually dropped a little after 100,000 miles. But, went up a little again over 200,000 miles. But, I attribute that to higher speed driving during the week due to a change in our work schedule trying to avoid grid lock traffic, etc...

Over all, still low oil consumption for me. My last couple cars were Mercedes Diesels CDI sedans and newer Dodge (Cummins) diesels. All of those vehicles use more oil than this TCH. Its all relative I guess.

Now, if you have a car that is consuming 1 qt. or so every 1,000 miles or you feel like you are constantly "topping it up".... Yea, that's a problem. Otherwise, who cares?

·
6,481 Posts
Should have read the back of that letter.
Dealership will top the engine, seal it and then vehicle to be returned for inspection in 1100-1300 miles. Then, if oil consumption falls into TSB number, they will take care of it. I'll try to dig out that TSB next.
Mine takes about a quart per about 1500 miles. Then again, I am not sure if the entire thing is for 5W20 only or synth oil, as I quit doing synth because then she goes higher on consumption.
Lincolnshibuya. No doubt he saw the thread. I think they replace piston rings, maybe connecting rods bearings. Word is, they do not have those engines driven hard enough to set rings properly. What is understandable considering it's a hybrid.
I do care as if I have to go through this to have extended warranty, then why not.

·
6,481 Posts
Aha

Limited Service Campaign (LSC) Remedy
Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace the Engine Pistons at NO CHARGE to the
vehicle’s owner.

Actually, it's rings and pistons. And here's the guideline:

Determine the quantity of oil that was consumed in 1,200 miles.Was the oil level more than 1 quart low after 1,200 miles of normal driving?

YES —
Go to the Repair Procedure.

NO —
This TSB does NOT apply. Warranty guideline for acceptable oil consumption is
1 quart per 1,200 miles of operation. No warranty claim should be filed.

http://assets.carcomplaints.com/docs/toyota-TSB-0094-11.pdf

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
I got this done when my TCH was around 96k+ miles, right before my extended warranty expires. Normally it depends on the kind of dealership that checks out the oil consumption tests, the first dealership I went through doesn't know how to tell if it's consuming oil and they just said it's normal. I went to the other dealership and they said it's definitely losing oil after the test. They have the car for 3 weeks and they said that they have a few of those issues coming in (not just the hybrid engines) It's been more than a year since the fix and my oil level stays the same.

Also people who don't do their own oil changes (or check their dipstick often) won't notice this issue until it gets worse or until the service advisor at the dealership will tell them time to rebuild the engine or just top it off often.

http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/

·
6,481 Posts
OK, taking mine in this Saturday. They do oil and filter change and "seal off all the areas where oil can leak out". Then I'll be back in 1200 miles and if it's more than a quart to refill, she gets new pistons, rings, coolant, gaskets, and extended warranty.

·
6,481 Posts
As I'm typing this I'm at Doon Toyota. They took her in. Last night a window switch recall letter came in so it's 2 strikes in one.
I'll drive her hard for 1200 miles. Don't mind having new pistons and rings. She's likely to qualify, been oil taker under normal hypermiling.
I'll report back.

·
6,481 Posts
He-he.
Boy she's fun to drive if you really don't care about better mpg.
So I paid $7 something for oil. They got her "sealed" and I am to be back not to exceed 1200-1300 miles.
I'll have fun for 1200 miles.

·
6,481 Posts
Oil consumption test

SO I have good and bad news today.
Good news is - my 07 TCH failed the test. Now I'll have new pistons and rings put in, whatever else they do, this time WILL break engine in properly, woo-hooo!
Bad news _ I got 2015 Camry basic as a loaner. SE I believe. I call it "sucks edition".
What heck happened to Camry? Seat is much narrower and shorter, cuts into thighs. Entire salon looks much smaller. Drives like on stilts. Stereo sucks BIG time. The only good part is - trunk is actually obviously bigger.
But otherwise - can't wait to get mine back. Sooo much better a vehicle.

·
6,481 Posts
Donno. Doug only put grave face on and theatrically took a pause and said - So, she failed. I don't think he expected my reaction.
Normally though by now I'd have had at least a quart of oil added in 1200 miles.
I hope they also do connecting rod bearings. Those play major role in proper oil pressure.

And now I really do not like that SE Camry. My ars hurts it's so bumpy. Even my wife said - what's wrong with this car? We had her loaded with three bags of chicken food and bale of bedding plus regular shopping items - still rough like old carriage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ukrkoz;10675913 And now I really do not like that SE Camry. My ars hurts it's so bumpy. Even my wife said - what's wrong with this car? We had her loaded with three bags of chicken food and bale of bedding plus regular shopping items - still rough like old carriage.[/QUOTE said:
A friend of mine had a SE hybrid for a while. He made the same comments as you. Last time by his house there was a TAH on his driveway. Btw, the TAH are beautiful cars.

·
6,481 Posts
I know. I set in TAH and even from just inside, I fell in love with it.
Loaner is conventional Camry. Powertrain is OK for a 4 cyl. Headlights are much better than on my 07. Seats are definitely "reduced" size. And the ride is absolutely bumpy. I am sure, that's what Toyota understood as "sporty ride" but they out performed Nissan on resulting bumpiness this time.

181 - 200 of 272 Posts