Toyota Nation Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Prius Four Touring, 2018 Prius Two, 2014 Avalon Hybrid
532 Posts
Have you tried a tank of fuel with a higher octane? Does it eliminate the pinging?

You're still under warranty. Find a good dealer tech who is interested in helping you find the source/cause of the pinging.
Post his/her answers here.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
697 Posts
Mine has done this since new. Changing to a higher grade octane fuel every other tank has cured the problem for me. For me, it goes away in the winter. Mainly a summertime problem.

It is a timing issue. I have been reading about it for years and the problem appears to be the VVT-I solenoid in most cases. Changing to a different heavier weight oil and or replacing the solenoid is supposed to cure the problem. There is also a screen that should be cleaned and checked for debris when replacing the solenoid.

The way I understand it, is that when the engine and oil are warmed up, if the oil pressure is too low, the computer is telling the solenoid to be in a certain position. But, because in some cases the oil pressure is too low, the phaser gear on the end of the camshaft cannot rotate to the correct position to adjust for the requested timing and the result is the pinging. I have also read that in some cases the cam phaser can leak or bypass oil. This can also cause the same issue. So several items to check.

Example: When you "stomp on the gas pedal" the oil pressure increases and changes the cam timing. This stops the pinging.

If if makes you feel any better, mine almost has 270,000 miles and it has never had a serious issue regardless. In the summertime when its hot and I'm driving relatively slow, it sounds like a mid 70's Oldsmobile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the Low Engine Oil Pressure warning display on my 2007 Camry XLE 4 cylinder (70,000 miles), accompanied by a beep, everytime I came to a sort of hard stop or when making a sharp turn. It went away immediately after, sometimes too quick to see. Checked the owner's manual and the engine oil level.

Here's what the owner's manual has to say:
(e) Low Engine Oil Pressure Warning Light If the warning light comes on, immediately stop the vehicle in a safe place and contact your Toyota dealer. This light warns that the engine oil pressure is too low. If it flickers or stays on while you are driving, pull off the road to a safe place and stop the engine immediately. Call a Toyota dealer or qualified repair shop for assistance. The light may occasionally flicker when the engine is idling or it may come on briefly after a hard stop. There is no cause for concern if it then goes out when the engine is accelerated slightly. The light may come on when the oil level is extremely low. It is not designed to indicate low oil level, and the oil level must be checked using the level dipstick.

NOTICE Do not drive the vehicle with the warning light on?even for one block. It may ruin the engine.

Based on the above, it wasn't a major concern but the engine oil was quite low. This was the problem and was easily resolved by getting an oil change.

As a side note, per the sticker from the last conventional, 5W-20 oil change at Jiffy Lube, the car still had about 500 miles left for a total of 5000 miles until the next oil change but not sure if Jiffy Lube didn't do a good enough job or that we got some 90F+ days for the oil change to be required sooner. Either way, won't be going back to Jiffy Lube.

·
7,375 Posts
1. You need to step onto your dealer and run oil consumption test. NOW.
2. You MUST monitor, otherwise, oil level every two weeks. Or, you WILL run low on oil and damaged engine will cost you way more then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received final letter from Toyota advising to connect with a dealer to determine if my VIN falls into high oil consumption ones and qualifies for under the recall repair.
Also mentions warrenty extension into late 20016 and to 150 000 miles, which is ways far for me at 110 000.
My question is - has anyone done this?
What does dealer do to determine consumption? I know Honda does oil change and seals the engine then owner has to come back in specific time and they determine what was used.
How much of a hassle is it from Toyota?
Anyone know of any other way to determine whether our car falls within the range?

·
7,375 Posts
Within what range?
Dealer does oil change, you pay for oil. Dealer seals engine, as in - dipstick, filler plug and drain plug. You drive for 1200 miles +/- 400 I believe. If your engine took more than 1 qrt in 1200 miles, you get new pistons/rins/crankshaft bearings and year warranty on them free of charge.
It's done by VIN number. Your vehicle may or may not be under that "warranty extension program", Toyota does not call them recalls.
So start with your dealer.
Please

·
Registered
1 Posts
just happened

Look, I joined this site to give you my testimony and maybe it will help someone. You do not know me from a hole in the wall, for all you know I could work for toyota or i could work for ford and hate toyota. I swear everything I am about to say is true so what you believe is up to you. I bought the 2009 toyota used from montclair acura about 4 years ago. . I always buy toyota and love them. My wife wanted an audi so I got her one (also a 2009) and took her camry (my sienna was old and the trans blew so the time was perfect). I noticed the car using oil. Googled it and saw all this mess. I called toyota and they asked me my vin number and they said there were two groups I could fall under to get help. I did not make the first one. This was august of 2017 and my 2009 had 82 thousand miles on it so I guess I missed the "zone" for the first group for whatever reason. I asked "what do i do? Do I get in the second group?" They told me I qualify for the second group and they would put it all in "the system" and that I should go to a toyota dealer. Went to west caldwell toyota and they said toyota knows there is a problem and are standing behind the cars, they would test it but not right now because I had to bring it back when it was low (I guess that is the rule?). I did that and they changed the oil and stuff then sealed it and told me to come back after a thousand miles. My paperwork said between 1000 and 1300 bring it back. I did not drive crazy like people here said to. I went around my normal business and drove like I always do. I brought it back after one thousand miles and they said there was not a drop of oil showing on my stick. I asked when I should bring it back for this "fix" because I had places to go that weekend (it was thursday). They said they must keep the car now and fix it (toyota rule?) and gave me a loaner car for free. They called me the very next day and said it was done. Everything was free and I have my car back. It has only been two days but the mechanic told me "in all the years Iv'e worked here I never saw one come back for consumption issues after the fix". Everyone has different experiences in life, I can only tell you mine. I still like toyota. I edited this a few times because I am not the best writer and when I read it I saw things that could have been confused because of how i worded it (took me time to realized it because I know what I mean lol.)

·
7,375 Posts
Thank you for sharing. i have to confirm that after I had my TCH oil consumption fixed, oil level will stay dead on where it was after refill - for thousands of miles.
I am appreciative Toyota treated me right and was pleased with Renton Toyota.
Any mechanical device can fail. But it can also be repaired with good will. Stepping up to issues and fixing them is sign of good character.

·
Registered
9 Posts
being 67 i have experienced many cars and oil consumption issues. until i started driving hondas and toyotas it was totally NORMAL to add oil between oil changes. a quart every thousand miles was actually normal. i am spoiled by my experience with toyota especially. (until my latest experience of my '12 prius not starting at 98060 miles) my experience with toyotas have been great. never a failure. or excessive consumption of anything.r

261 - 272 of 272 Posts