Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine doesn't work, and i would rather have it working than not. can anyone tell me how to fix it? im guessing its just the bulb that doesnt work, or is it a fuse? any input would be great.

·
TN's SRT-4
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
379 Posts
^ Ditto

I believe the 22R equipped trucks don't have this feature. The pic of the 22R's sending unit from my 1989 factory service manual only shows a floater and no rod with the low fuel sensor.

You could probably verify this by checking the harness from your sending unit. My 1989 truck (3VZ equipped) has the low fuel light and it has four wires coming out of the sending unit. The sending unit without the low fuel light sensor will have only two wires. I had to replace my sending unit once due to a bad floater and found this out when I had received the wrong sending unit. The plug from the sending unit is exactly the same though so I wonder if swapping sending units will make the light operational. Maybe if the 22R's wiring to the sending unit has four wires too??? :confused:

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so it looks like theres suppose to be a light there, but in truth, there isn't! that seems odd to me that they would build it that way.

·
Registered
588 Posts
false, my 87 with 22R-E has low fuel light and non guages dash cept for temp guage and fuel, i dont knwo what the engine has to do with whether a vehicle got fuel light or not lol

it works , but my fuel guage always reads below E, i wish i knew what the heck was wrong with the stupid thing,

the fuel arm and float bob around you can hear that, and i rmeoved the bed recently and unplugged the connector three wires at fuel sender unit in top of the tank and it didnt affect the needle position at all, nothing

good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone!! I just bought an 88 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with the 22RE engine and am looking to replace the fuel sending unit. Wish I knew where to get one cheaper than the dealership. Anyway, to "fast68": I have the same problem you have, where the gas needle never goes above empty and was wondering how you determine the amount of gas in the vehicle? I am assuming the low gas light on your 87 comes on and works when your fuel is low? If so, I am wondering if my 88 might have a light as well? If it did I would know when to fuel up. I would rather not run the thing out of gas to find out! Anyway, If I have to buy a fuel Sending unit from the dealership I will ask them if they can look up which models and years have the lights and which ones dont.....then I'll get back to this post. Thanks all.........

·
Registered
588 Posts
sending unit is in top sid eof the tank i find that it was easier to just remove the bed its not that hard, and remove unit from above without dropping the tank,

stuff is so rusted up bad on these trucks that youll end up most likely with a busted strap and then youll be screwed

you most likely have a low fuel light in the dash too, the truck will start to idle rough when its low and ready for gas and the orange light in RH side of dash will come on, time for gas, thats how i do it, but i usally put 5 or 10 in gas in it once or twice a week or so anyways

dont buy no sending unit from a dealer, find a parts truck or go to salveage yard

theres no way in hell im spending on a new unit for a 300 dollar truck, ill find a godo used one evnetually, no big hurry

screw that, its not worth it, the fuel light way works fine for me
i do carry a gas can with me though just in case, but i dont think ill ever need it

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts