Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a old 1993 Toyota Camry executive with 164000 KM. I just got it serviced but the radiator cooolant was not changed. So last friday I changed my radiator coolant with a mechanic. After changing the coolant I find overheating problems resulting in leaking of radiator. After installing new radiator, new problem arises. Now I find that after running about 300-400 metres, low oil pressure light is on. I took the car to the garage where I changed the radiator, but the mechanic could not fix it yet. He changed the engine oil twice - firstly with 20-80 oil and afterwards 30-70. the dipstick shows that the oil level is full. But the problem is not solved. I have got new oil filter on just 3 weeks back. the mechanic checked the pressure level, it shows that when the engine starts for the first time, psi is about 45 but after 2-3 minutes it falls to zero. After reaching 0, it does not change. I am in a fix, and needs your experienced suggestion.

Pallab

·
Registered
542 Posts
Since the oil pump will make 45 psi, at least at start up, it might be ok.
I'm going to make an experienced guess and say the engine could be badly sludged up. Remove the valve cover and take a look, if you see anything that looks like what's in this engine

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/cleaning_sludge.html

then drop the oil pan (probably no need to remove the head like they do in the link) and clean all the sludge out, or as much as you can. A shop vac, solvent, a lot of rags and compressed air will be useful for this chore. Also dont forget the new gaskets.

After that test the oil pressure again. If its still low, the engine could just be, well, worn out...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts