Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not so Noob now!
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal...

3SFE in 88 Cam when in nuetral or park engine idles smooth, revs up with no problem. Put it in drive and there is a defintete lack of power, I have a tough time even getting the car out of our driveway. So far I have checked for vaccuum leaks, changed the Airflow sensor, and checked the timing. I am also getting spark on all four cyl. Once I get it on the road it will accelerate fairly well if I can get the engine over 2000rpm, I also notice if I feather the throttle instead of just stomping on it I get a little better response from the engine. I have not checked the compression since these symptoms have started since I havn't had a chance to borrow the compression tester yet. Although I did check the compression a few months ago and all the cyl were within normal levels.

Also in the last 3 months the fuel filter has been replaced along with O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor.

Any thoughts as to where to go/look next?

·
Registered
994 Posts
sounds like a transmission problem, not an engine problem. could be going or you could be low on fluid, start your search there.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,848 Posts
Does it hiccup and cough or does it just lack power?

If its jerky, its probably your ignition coil... if it just lacks power, maybe check the timing?

Good luck.

-Charlie

·
Not so Noob now!
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been ages since I posted, but here's what it turned out to be:

After replacing the fuel pump (not it)
and removing the cat converter (again not it)
I discovered the lower timing gear on the crankshaft had been slowly slipping over the shear pin and was throwing the timing off. I ended up replacing both the gear and the pin and that took care of the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I am bringing this post back from the dead... I am having similar problems with my 91 3sfe. It is very sluggish and "bouncy" in the low RPM ranges and begins to catch up with itself in the higher RPMs. At first I figured it was the trans, but shifting through the gears manually, and being able to control RPM shiftpoints, it does a little better. It is the worst when accelerating from a stop, as it barely gets going until the mid to upper RPMs. I did replace the timing belt approximately six months ago, and thought the belt may have slipped. However, I just checked that last night and the crankshaft notch on the "zero" mark lines up along with the camshaft gear notch. Would a slipping timing gear on the crankshaft throw off the alignment marks? It seems like it would, and if it did, I could eliminate that as my problem.

Thanks,
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts