Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2005 DCSB TRD OR recently started a vibration at take off but disappears once I reach 30 mph.
I have also noticed a squeaking noise when reversing. They maybe separate issues but I'm checking to see if anyone else has had these issues.

Many thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Willing to bet your slow speed vibrations/grinding is the needle bearing in the front differential on driver side. Very common and known issue. TSB is T-SB-0026-15 "Front Differential Groaning/Grinding Cyclical Noise". I just replaced mine after 200k with the ECGS bushing and the noise is gone.

And your squeaking when reversing is probably brake related. TSB is BR005-07R "Front Brake Noise in Reverse"

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thank you kind sir. How much was it to replace the needle bearing?
If memory serves me correct, parts and labor were somewhere in the $300 range at the dealer. I paid about $125 for the ECGS bushing, axle seal and removal tool. I already had a bearing driver so I didn't need the install tool. I did the work myself.

FYI - although the needle bearing part has been updated and revised, presumably to prevent the common noise/failure, there is still speculation that the new part isn't much different. There are pics and descriptions somewhere on this forum I believe.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
I’m not sure it would be the needle bearing. That’s more common around 40 mph. If it’s that, then it’ll eventually get worse. Can easily wait until then. It also will go away on a hard right turn (windy road for instance).

There was a TSB for the take off shudder.

·
Registered
181 Posts
For whatever it's worth, my needle bearing was making noise from about 1 to 20mph. I know it was the needle bearing because I just replaced it and the noise is 100% gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Nafterclifen
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing