Toyota Nation Forum banner

Low Tire Pressure Warning Light!

7591 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  ncpaladin
My dealer says to reset this NIGHTMARE....
-Just turn off ignition
-Press Button under dash
-Turn Key ON
-Wait for 3 flashes of warning light
-Start Truck

Problem? It does NOT reset my light. ALL tires including spare have correct air. Anyone able to help?
Thanks,
Lucy
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Master Geniculater
2006 Tacoma SR5 4X4
Joined
·
92 Posts
One or more of you sensors is not working if it doesn't reset as described. I believe only the dealer can check to see which one is broken unless someone know different.

Welcome to TN by the way!
 

· Haywood Jablome
06 X Runner
Joined
·
87 Posts
with all 5 tires set and the reset botton held down until it flashes 3 times and the light stays on. The only way to tell is with the factory scan tool. They can look at all the pressure readings and see if one it not correct. then see which wheel it is by letting air out of each tire and watching the diplay. If there working correctly it will show the change on the display. Until they get to the one that has the problem.
 

· Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
Did you air up the spare tire? The Spare tire also has a sensor and the system wont reset if you don't make sure the spare tire is at the correct pressure. When I came back from London on friday after being away for 3 months I came home and on Saturday I went for a drive in my truck. All 5 tires were low and I mean REALLY low 4 of them were under 25lbs and one was 20lbs so I drove to the gas station to air them up. I aired them all up to 35lbs (including the spare) and when I started the truck up I didn't have to reset anything the light went out by itself.

It has always done that for me, I go driving on the beach frequently and I air down my tires to 14lbs when I do and the TPMS light comes on every time and then when I air my tires back up it always goes off by itself. I never had to use the reset switch under the dash ever.

So this leads me to believe that one of your tires is still low and it is prolly your spare. The Spare has a sensor too and if you don't fill it up then the light wont go out. People forget about the spare or they remember then realize that the valve is facing up and they don't want to lower the spare tire just to inflate it. Unfortunatly you have to because Toyota put a TPMS sensor in the spare tire too. The best thing to do is while you have your spare down anyways, take it off and flip it over so the valve is facing down. Then from now on you don't have to lower the spare to fill it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darn Light!

Thanks everyone. I checked all 5 tires and added/subtracted air. Did the reset deal with NO luck. Have custom wheels (stock size with stock tires) that have been on for 1 year and had NO problem. Weird thing is, it was fine when I parked it in the garage for a week. Then I used our new Yaris for a week. Temperature got to freezing for a couple days but nothing else new? But after sitting a week, I got back in it and the stupid light was flashing. NOTHING will reset it. I have tried driving on the freeway to warm up the tires, no luck...........:rolleyes:
 

· Registered
2015 Tacoma DC
Joined
·
438 Posts
lucynethel1998 said:
Have custom wheels (stock size with stock tires) that have been on for 1 year and had NO problem. Weird thing is, it was fine when I parked it in the garage for a week.
That is wierd. maybe the sensor got cracked when it was installed on the new wheels and it finally deteriorated or failed.

On another note, I hope some one comes up with a better idea of monitoring tire pressure, these issues are so bothersome..

I read a thread somewhere (i will see if I can find it) that a guy grounded 1 blue wire on the passenger side of the truck and it disabled the idiot lighton the dash.

I'll be back with that link.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
lucynethel1998 said:
Thanks everyone. I checked all 5 tires and added/subtracted air. Did the reset deal with NO luck. Have custom wheels (stock size with stock tires) that have been on for 1 year and had NO problem. Weird thing is, it was fine when I parked it in the garage for a week. Then I used our new Yaris for a week. Temperature got to freezing for a couple days but nothing else new? But after sitting a week, I got back in it and the stupid light was flashing. NOTHING will reset it. I have tried driving on the freeway to warm up the tires, no luck...........:rolleyes:
Welcome lucynethel1998!

Well, if it's flashing, it means that it's "Malfunctioning". Which then means you need to take it to the dealership. Maybe one of the sensors might have gotten dislodged or broke somehow. I wish you luck with that. This TPMS is a pain in the ass.

If it was a steady light, it can be reset.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
musubi said:
Welcome lucynethel1998!

Well, if it's flashing, it means that it's "Malfunctioning". Which then means you need to take it to the dealership. Maybe one of the sensors might have gotten dislodged or broke somehow. I wish you luck with that. This TPMS is a pain in the ass.

If it was a steady light, it can be reset.
Sorry, MEANT to say it came back on STEADY after the 3 flashes reset "attempt".
 

· Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
use the little black tape trick...all tires inflated to spec and ok?? spare ok??..get a small piece of black electrical tape..place it over the flashing idiot lite..problem solved..all this freakin crap theyre putiing on our vehicles..where 's it gonna end??
 

· Registered
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Joined
·
19 Posts
The only thing I can think of is if it is still freezing maybe the sensors cant recognize the tire presure.....my wifes car did the same thing for about a week then when it warmed up for a couple days the light went off. It hasnt came back on since.
 

· Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
forbye said:
use the little black tape trick...all tires inflated to spec and ok?? spare ok??..get a small piece of black electrical tape..place it over the flashing idiot lite..problem solved..all this freakin crap theyre putiing on our vehicles..where 's it gonna end??
Unfortunatly we can't blame this one on Toyota. US Legislation was passed after the whole Firestone ordeal, requiring TPMS on all vehicles by 2008. It can be considered a side effect of the Firestone fiasco several years ago.
 

· MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
Joined
·
613 Posts
mines been going off in mine since about march. i had a flat and got a new tire, i wasnt told you could reset it on your own, i was told the dealer has to do it, so instead of bending over and paying for it i ignore it. but i was told if you take a wheel off, rotate it one lugnut and put it back on it makes it go off...
 

· Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
Joined
·
3,111 Posts
mmm the sensors on our 05 HL go off if the pressures are uneven. If any tire is off by about 2psi, it will set off the indicator. this is even true if all the tires are above the factory recommended pressure.

moreover, it is triggered if the pressures are too high.

It's wierd technology, good for a majority of drivers, but bad for those of us who adjust our pressures to adapt for what we use our vehicles for.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top