Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let fellow Avalon owners know of my recent experience with Ultra Power lower control arm bushings from Rock Auto. I installed just the rear bushings of each front lower control arm, they lasted about 11 months, 14000 miles. The bushing and center dowel had separated and we’re making noise. I think I paid around $15.00 per set which included the front bushing as well, tonight I installed a set of Beck Arnley lower control arms, the install went well, the car is once again very quiet in the front suspension. I bought the Beck Arnley parts off Amazon, I was kind of ticked off that Rock Auto had the heart symbol on these bushings and they are junk, I didn’t want to give them the control arm sale less than a year later. I’ll update if these experience a low mileage/time failure. I paid $110, delivered from Amazon. I own a 2000 Toyota Avalon xls, it’s life has been spent in Florida, I’ve owned it a little under 2 years.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
107 Posts
I think Economy section is just the pits, bargain bin, band aid garbage. But even in the "standard" and "daily driver" sections you have to be careful. My coolant sensor from "Four Seasons" was from their "Standard Replacement" section, it was trash and wasn't cheap mind you (actually one of their more expensive sensors)! They had mismatched the sensors and boxes at their factory in Mexico, if that tells you anything about their QC.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m feeling more and more that way about Rock auto. I’ve bought closeout brake hardware and had parts missing, they issued me a partial credit but I had to buy the whole kit again elsewhere. I’m afraid to buy anything closeout like a strut assembly or control arm, which I could’ve saved about 15 bucks doing through them this purchase, because what shows up may or may not be the brand item I ordered. The boxes they ship in are usually in very rough shape, I mean the original product package, not the cardboard shipping container. When I had a problem with an engine mount for my Sonoma truck, I had to fill out a long form with my VIN, model, make and year. The return had to be approved for credit to be issued. I’m sticking with Amazon, the return policy is way better and I don’t receive beat up 2nds or reboxed garbage brand parts with a bs rating by the seller. Often times Amazons ratings will help me decide on a purchase on that item or to upgrade to a better quality item based on the consensus of the reviews, I never read one review and make a decision solely on that. The heart symbols on Rock Auto are total bs and very misleading. On the plus side my arms are in, I had the alignment redone by tires plus, I had purchased the 3 year alignment and this was my 3rd alignment. My Avalon feels excellent on the highway and is much quieter around town again. My ball joints are still tight, they aren’t binding at all, the Beck Arnley control arms didn’t come with ball joints, I’d probably just buy Beck Arnley joints when the oem ones wear out. I have Beck Arnley brand outer tie rod ends installed, that was about a year and 3 months ago, still going strong, that was alignment #2, lol.

·
Registered
2001 Avalon XLS w/ JBL Audio 215K mi.
28 Posts
Bought 2 Mevotech MEV301 Inner Tie Rods from RockAuto in October. The boxes were identical, but when I had the car apart I discovered there was a vast difference between the 2.

For $6 more, could’ve / should’ve bought Moog.

But yeah, Rock Auto is a mixed bag. Caveat Emptor. They aren’t monitoring the quality coming in, they’re just pushing boxes. I too have had better luck on Amazon.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
155 Posts
Amazon parts are pretty solid if you stay with quality brand. Got a super cheap coil on plug that only worked a month on a Corolla, but the super cheap MAF sensor I got for the same car is still working fine, 6 months later. I have Prime, so I use Amazon mostly.

·
Registered
03 Avalon XLS
83 Posts
Yep,speaking of crap deliveries from rock auto i just got a caliper hardware kit today,to look at it you'd think it came out of the damn trash can, box was crushed,bag inside was opened completely,one piece was out of the bag i mean come on now

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s how My rear caliper hardware showed up too, the rubber accordions were missing, I had to buy the rest locally, they gave me a partial credit.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
107 Posts
Well they did give me a full refund for that "Four Seasons" coolant sensor (paid for return shipping too).
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Four Seasons is an authorized builder for AC Delco?
So I'm thinking this appearance of variety of companies, parts and pricing is mostly a facade?
I went ahead and ordered a thermostat and lower radiator hose from RockAuto ?‍♀ . Gave them a second chance. ?
I will post pics when I unbox.

·
Registered
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS
107 Posts
Got my thermostat and lower radiator hose today...
Shipped SUPER fast (2 days), box was looking good, packed very well, Tstat in good condition...
The only complaint I have is that they bent my lower radiator hose to get it to fit into the box.
Hose packed and bent into the box:
IMG_20200103_141712.jpg
Hose taken out of box showing full size unbent:
IMG_20200103_141757.jpg
Maybe I'm nitpicking, hose doesn't seem damaged. Overall I've used RA for years and they've been pretty good, I'll probably order from them again.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I’d say it’s very dependent on brands. If it’s a decent/premium brand part, it shows up in good condition and it’s clearly that branded part, you’re fine. I was referring to low brand parts or good brand parts that show up very degraded packaging, which could in turn make you question if you've in fact received a premium brand part. The troubling part is that they include heart symbols on parts which sell in high volume, there are no reviews of said parts, this creates a false premise that you’re buying a quality part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts