Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Camry TCH
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who haven't already seen this over at the GreenHybrid forum, I just lowered my Camry Hybrid.

You cannot just install the TRD lowering springs on the TCH, because those springs were never designed to carry the extra weight of the 200lb EV battery in the trunk. If you install the TRD springs, your rear end will sag and you will constantly bottom out.

What I decided to do was get a set of Camry SE-V6 springs (from someone in the Gen6 forum who installed TRD springs). When I installed the SE springs onto my TCH, the rear was lowered by 1/2" which is what I wanted, but the front was actually raised by 1/2". I guess the hybrid engine is lighter than the V6, so the springs were not compressed enough. So the SE springs did not accomplish what I wanted.

So then I purchased a set of TRD springs. I kept the SE springs in the rear of the car, and used TRD springs just in the front. The rear remained lowered by 1/2", and now the front is lowered by 1.0" from stock springs (and 1.5" from SE springs). I have an equal 1.5" gap on all 4 wheels.

The car drives much better than before. The side-to-side roll has disappeared, and the car now turns as the proverbial "driving on rails". The only downside is the harshness of the ride. I knew that the TRD springs would give a harsher feel, but I forgot to factor in the fact that I am running 40psi in my tires to improve FE. I might have to reduce to 36psi if I can't deal with the bumpiness.

Here are a couple of pictures, including a before-after picture (stock, SE only, combined TRD/SE). Note how the car now has a nice forward rake to it.

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
610 Posts
If you kept the stock struts, that's likely a significant contributor to the bounciness. Spring and shock rates have to 'match' - a higher rate spring needs firmer dampening in order to not pogo. Stiffer jounce dampening can also reduce 'crash-through' to bump stops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.