Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum been lurking for a while now. Finally decided to post. Just bought a 2019 XLE seashore pearl. (Blue) for short. It has tan interior 2wd. Finally have another toyota in the family. Corolla 2009 work car, 2009 toyota Camry.
I have been looking to lower the Highlander to take out the wheel gap. There is no supporting mods to lower the highlander. Either on springs, or coilovers.
1. I am looking to bag the SUV anyone with any luck?
2. Exhaust mods? I was thinking of going to the exhaust shop to take off the 3rd cat we have and both silencers to see what sound comes out?
I have seen on the forum for highlander we dont have any wheel section or performance or off road section or electronic section. We do have an LED and HID talk for the past some pages and start and stop. Please chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
Highlander Ltd. AWD
257 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Why o why would you buy a new Highlander and want to lower it, why not buy the Camry, Lowering would void warranty, create issues with wheel rub etc,
Just get aftermarket 19 inch alloys d lower profile tires as per the SE model or even look into 20 inch wheels?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why o why would you buy a new Highlander and want to lower it, why not buy the Camry, Lowering would void warranty, create issues with wheel rub etc,
Just get aftermarket 19 inch alloys d lower profile tires as per the SE model or even look into 20 inch wheels?
I see nothing wrong with a lowered SUV if done tastefully. I'd love to lower mine 1.5-2". The OP is not alone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agreed. I'd also be interested in wheel spacers for a more aggressive OEM look.
Same here. The wheels are rather tucked in on this vehicle, which makes it look weak. Spacers are easy though - common/popular bolt pattern and center bore.

Let's get this topic rolling! I'm willing to bet there many owners on here who would like to customize the HL but don't want to speak up for fear of ridicule...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually buying lowering springs would not void warranty. I have tried to look for coilovers or lowering springs for the highlander. We dont have much information from the SEMA highlander. Its just noted 1.5' drop up front and 2' in the back. Springs I have reached out to eibach to see what the options are?
My question is do we share any suspension components with any other car or SUV? Toyota or Lexus?
Coilovers well there is no help on that yet if we don't have springs.
Putting airbags on the vehicle to lower it. Seems for plausible. Just no kit to actually fit yet. There is a kit for 1st gens. Have seen some lowered 2nd gens on YouTube and google pictures. Nothing yet for us 3rd gens.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here comes the info that I have been searching all week.
XLE multi spoke wheels are 18x7.5 +30.
I want to go with 22s. I have seen vossen videos and 22s on an SUV seem to be the norm.
I was thinking of getting either HF2, HC3, s17-01. All one piece wheels. 3 piece will be in the future. Yes they are expensive wheels. Just seeing my options.
Speaking with a rep from Vossen he was telling me ideal highlander with 22s is 22x9+ 38. Keep in mind we are just talking about wheels. He also told me some highlander guys are going 22x10.5. He said he did not reccomend it. There is a website I use to see if it will fit. I have to write it all down on a new piece of paper to let youll see what I have come up with. Ill probably di it tonight. Cheers guys.https://www.willtheyfit.com/QUOTE=16XLE;13917370]
Agreed. I'd also be interested in wheel spacers for a more aggressive OEM look.
Same here. The wheels are rather tucked in on this vehicle, which makes it look weak. Spacers are easy though - common/popular bolt pattern and center bore.

Let's get this topic rolling! I'm willing to bet there many owners on here who would like to customize the HL but don't want to speak up for fear of ridicule...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
745 Posts
I want to go with 22s. I have seen vossen videos and 22s on an SUV seem to be the norm.
I was thinking of getting either HF2, HC3, s17-01. All one piece wheels. 3 piece will be in the future. Yes they are expensive wheels. Just seeing my options.
Speaking with a rep from Vossen he was telling me ideal highlander with 22s is 22x9+ 38. Keep in mind we are just talking about wheels. He also told me some highlander guys are going 22x10.5. He said he did not reccomend it. There is a website I use to see if it will fit. I have to write it all down on a new piece of paper to let youll see what I have come up with. Ill probably di it tonight. Cheers guys.https://www.willtheyfit.com/QUOTE=16XLE;13917370]

Let's get this topic rolling! I'm willing to bet there many owners on here who would like to customize the HL but don't want to speak up for fear of ridicule...
[/QUOTE]

OK why buy an SUV ? I can think of 3 reasons, first flexibility in carrying cargo and passengers, but minivans are better,2nd off road capability of which most have little, off road specific vehicles better, so the 3rd one is ride height and ground clearance, this enables one to traverse rough roads ,navigate flooded roads and snow covered roads with more assurance, also the added benefit of greater on road visibilty, once you lower your highlander, you become an inefficient car and less versatile minivan. Where is the logic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OK why buy an SUV ? I can think of 3 reasons, first flexibility in carrying cargo and passengers, but minivans are better,2nd off road capability of which most have little, off road specific vehicles better, so the 3rd one is ride height and ground clearance, this enables one to traverse rough roads ,navigate flooded roads and snow covered roads with more assurance, also the added benefit of greater on road visibilty, once you lower your highlander, you become an inefficient car and less versatile minivan. Where is the logic?[/QUOTE]
Great thoughts! With air bags you get the best of everything you have said. Stock ride height, better for towing, better ride with air suspension, lower it to take out wheel gap raise it back up when needed. Yes I am leaning more towards air suspension then coilovers or lowering springs.

·
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
28 Posts
OK why buy an SUV ? I can think of 3 reasons, first flexibility in carrying cargo and passengers, but minivans are better,2nd off road capability of which most have little, off road specific vehicles better, so the 3rd one is ride height and ground clearance, this enables one to traverse rough roads ,navigate flooded roads and snow covered roads with more assurance, also the added benefit of greater on road visibilty, once you lower your highlander, you become an inefficient car and less versatile minivan. Where is the logic?
A $10K watch isn't logical nor a $20K bike. Relax a little, his money - his choice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update guys. Doing some research I found out. The Toyota Kluger is a cousin in Australia and the Toyota Harrier in Japan as well. The Harrier has a lot of mods that can be done. Wonder if they can transfer over and fit the highlander.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Update guys. Doing some research I found out. The Toyota Kluger is a cousin in Australia and the Toyota Harrier in Japan as well. The Harrier has a lot of mods that can be done. Wonder if they can transfer over and fit the highlander.
I'd take a look at the 2010+ Lexus RX350 springs. The suspension setup looks identical to the HL. I don't know the specs of the RX springs though, but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd take a look at the 2010+ Lexus RX350 springs. The suspension setup looks identical to the HL. I don't know the specs of the RX springs though, but it's worth a look.
Looking for springs or coilovers I found RX350 suspension did not match. I did find 2015 Lexus NX200T does have the same (look-alike) McPherson struts in front, with rear shock absorbers and and spring system. We are getting somewhere:grin:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts