Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinkin about just cutting tha springs and dropping this thing after i get tha kit on... i cant afford struts and springs?? any pro's to choping tha springs.. and what are tha cons?? cuz it cant not be lowered after tha kit goes on. it will look awful

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,790 Posts
That's cool. Just make sure it complies with your state vehicle code law. Too low = Tickets = $$$$$

In california, the max inches tha can be lowered is between 14-24" I think. Need to recheck that. Also for your exhaust notes in California, it has to be below 95 dcb. Get a sound indicator from Radioshack. It'll save you the bullshit tickets from idiot cops.

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
14 or 24 inch drop? a 2 foot drop would lower your fenders into the ground half way up the wheel well:lol: :lol: :lol:

if you wanna talk/learn about chopping springs pm bluemeanie- he has done a lot with springs on the cam

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Don't cut your springs. i think it messes them up. Just buy some. I think its like 200 for new eibachs and 200 for struts. But your stock struts can go for about a year before breaking so you have like a year to get 200 dollars for struts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
dropzone springs 80 bux roughly and ive not heard any bad things about them. and you get a 1.8 " drop all around.. why would it look bad lowered. and if thts the case why bother to cut them.

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
^^$80. I could work with that. Approx home much $ would it be to have springs installed somewhere. Because I wouldn't do this myself. And money's tight these days.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
CamNub said:
Don't cut your springs. Thats gay. And i think it messes them up. Just buy some. I think its like 200 for new eibachs and 200 for struts. But your stock struts can go for about a year before breaking so you have like a year to get 200 dollars for struts.
CamNub- It does not mess them up unless you cut too much or you cut them the wrong way.
...and there's no given time in which a strut will blow under increased stress. I've seen some go in a few months and others last a few years

Statiks- I had Vogtlands with a 1.7" drop and I cut off about 1.25 coils to make it about 2.5-2.75". ...about 2 fingers.

You don't want to cut stock springs, they're not stiff enough nor are they short enough. Too much off a spring (past the dead coil and into the live/active coils) and you will ruin the spring rate. In laimens terms, you'll have to cut too much off a stock spring to get the drop you want and there wont be enough spring left to support the car. The result will be a rebound bouncing.
You want to cut as little off as possible.
i.e. to get a given drop by cutting stock springs you'll need to cut 2.5 coils, to get an equal drop using a shorter "lowering" spring you'll only need to cut 1.25.

You want to cut from the large "dead" coil, not the smaller/tighter coil that is machined flat.

PM me if you want the specifics.

I've never had any problems in any of my cars so long as its done right.

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
yes dropzones are 80 bucks for 4, and struts are not 200... ha i wish, i got my tokicos for 350 shipped and that was a good deal man- cutting springs does not mess them up as long as you do it correctly- as far as getting springs and struts installed you are looking at around $100+ for the fronts and $100+ for the backs

with the right tools and such it is not terribly difficult to instal these things, but if you are not comfortable doing it- that is why there are mechanics

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i dont know why but everyone always has this problem installing springs and what not. they somehow always break a portion of their lower control arm. or a nut or something. its weird.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Statiks said:
thinkin about just cutting tha springs and dropping this thing after i get tha kit on... i cant afford struts and springs?? any pro's to choping tha springs.. and what are tha cons?? cuz it cant not be lowered after tha kit goes on. it will look awful
The only pro to chopping the springs is that in a few thousand miles you will need to replace your worn to hell struts. Not to mention cutting them generally screws up the spring rate, and with the overburdened struts be prepared to hit your head on the headliner often. Dont be cheap. Modding and tuning cars is a time consuming and expensive hobby. Dont cut corners, especially when it comes to something as crucial as suspension components. Do it right or dont do it at all. If you plan to keep your car for more than another year, you will be happy you did.

- Paul

·
Registered
117 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY. Do it right the first time trust me, did KYB GS-2 struts with Eibach lowering springs, they softened after a year, replaced struts with Toicko Blues which everything thinks is better, they are the SAME crapped out after a year, FINALLY just bit the bullet dropped the dough and got Tein true collovers SS, LOVE THEM:D

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Re: Re: Lowering ideas post kit...

bassthrive said:
The only pro to chopping the springs is that in a few thousand miles you will need to replace your worn to hell struts. Not to mention cutting them generally screws up the spring rate, and with the overburdened struts be prepared to hit your head on the headliner often. Dont be cheap. Modding and tuning cars is a time consuming and expensive hobby. Dont cut corners, especially when it comes to something as crucial as suspension components. Do it right or dont do it at all. If you plan to keep your car for more than another year, you will be happy you did.

- Paul

How does chopping a spring burden a tokico any more than using an equally short lowering spring?
I personally wouldn't bother chopping a stock spring but aside from the resulting bounce and so long as he uses a high performance strut he should be fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Lowering ideas post kit...

BLUEMEANIE said:
How does chopping a spring burden a tokico any more than using an equally short lowering spring?
I personally wouldn't bother chopping a stock spring but aside from the resulting bounce and so long as he uses a high performance strut he should be fine.

Sorry if I sounded callous but like many people on this board that have basic knowledge of the cars they put their blood, sweat and tears in, I get fed up with these "rice boyz" that say "I want to go faster, stop harder, turn tighter and look good while doing it - but I dont want to spend more than $50" If you love your car, yourself, the people who ride in it with you, and the drivers around you, modding something critical like the suspension system shouldn't be an area where you cheap out on.

Whether you put on lowering springs or chop the ones you have now, they will wear our your stock struts quicker than normal, this is a FACT (notice I didnt mention tokico or any aftermarket strut anywhere in my original post).

- Paul

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I was watchign Monster Garage, I think it was the episode with the Hearse that dug its own graves. And they didn something interesting. They lowered the car by heating the coils with a torch. And letting the weight of the car bend the springs a little. Does that really work? Is it dangerous? Has anyone else seen this done?

·
it was all a dream
4,204 Posts
Gridlyne said:
I was watchign Monster Garage, I think it was the episode with the Hearse that dug its own graves. And they didn something interesting. They lowered the car by heating the coils with a torch. And letting the weight of the car bend the springs a little. Does that really work? Is it dangerous? Has anyone else seen this done?
I would say its unpredictable. Heating up springs changes their spring rate and tension since most stock springs are linear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well u guys are all talkin about picking up new struts where do i get these struts? they dont have'em for my car on ebay and so what you guys are sayin is i could go with my stock springs, buy after markete struts, and cut my stock springs and it will b okay??

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
KoboChan said:
im just wondering.. how much coil can i cut off my eibach (1.2" drop) to make it 1.8"?

Start with .75 off the dead coil in front and .25 off the rear and see where you end up you should be fine up to 1.5 coils (exceding that will shorten the spring too much causing it to potentially pop off its perch upon full extension of the strut)
Do it in segments, evenly for both springs and give it a couple weeks to settle in before chopping the next portion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts