Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 camry and I've been researching for the longest time on how to lower it properly. I know that I need to replace the struts if I plan to also put lowering springs on it. People say you don't need a camber kit unless you lower past 2 inches, others say that you need one at any lowering stance because the top bolts don't move or something ? Everyone that I've talked to before I got to TN dosen't really know what to do. I was wondering what you guys did for lowering your car, because I don't have any accurate information. thanks.

·
Mobbed Out Camry
494 Posts
When I lowered my car, I bought Tokico struts to go with my Eibach springs. No I did not use a camber kit and I also heard about that rumor about going past 2" or a more dramatic drop. My Eibach is 1.6" and is very moderate. Your stock struts will not be able to handle your lowering springs for long before you blow them so get the strust it's a good investment.

·
metamorphosis
715 Posts
hi

i have a 2000 camry, lowered it with eibach springs and used tokico struts. no you don't need a new camber kit with the eibach. it lowered it about 1.2"-1.4" i guess if you lowered it past 2 inches you might need a camber kit...not sure though. some others used dropzone springs...you can see what they think of those. good luck

·
metamorphosis
715 Posts
^^ man BustaRice, you beat me to it. no one had responded when i read this thread. :lol: i said almost the exact same as you. :)

·
TN's Financial Expert
965 Posts
18x8s with 245/40s do rub on hard bumps with 2 *avg* people in the back. Not an issue cause it's usually me and one other in the car. Front NEVER rubs even under load on bump. I rolled the fenders and the rubbing has been reduced dramtically. Note--18s rubbed before the drop too. 18x7.5s would prolly be the better choice of width...just these wheels weren't offered in that size.

BULLMKT

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
that would be ya hweel offset making it rub :(

·
TN's Financial Expert
965 Posts
terrastrife said:
that would be ya hweel offset making it rub :(
haha...close. 18X8s are pushing it. I have less than .25" clearance between the strut and the lip of the wheel :eek: . Plus I am running a pretty high sidewall...since I wanted close to OEM diameter of the tire. I am sure if I ran 225/40s I would be fine. It isn't severe at all...in fact it doesn't even hurt my sidewall. My tires will tuck but I can't roll the damn fender tight enough to make it not rub :confused: Like I said, mine never rub unless i have 2-3 people back there and I hit a good hard bump.

ObsessionK1 said:
Bull, if I were to get 18x8 with a 225/35/18 tire on it and lower it 1.6" will I have to roll my fenders ?
An 18x8 with 245/45 and appropriate offset is maxed out and you will have to roll. An 18x8 with 225/45 should be ok. But it all depends on your drop and what you are carrying around.
If you can find a 18x7.5 go that route...if I could do it again I would.

You can tell how tight the fit is...

BULLMKT

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
BullMarket said:
haha...close. 18X8s are pushing it. I have less than .25" clearance between the strut and the lip of the wheel :eek: . Plus I am running a pretty high sidewall...since I wanted close to OEM diameter of the tire. I am sure if I ran 225/40s I would be fine. It isn't severe at all...in fact it doesn't even hurt my sidewall. My tires will tuck but I can't roll the damn fender tight enough to make it not rub :confused: Like I said, mine never rub unless i have 2-3 people back there and I hit a good hard bump.

An 18x8 with 245/45 and appropriate offset is maxed out and you will have to roll. An 18x8 with 225/45 should be ok. But it all depends on your drop and what you are carrying around.
If you can find a 18x7.5 go that route...if I could do it again I would.

You can tell how tight the fit is...

BULLMKT
omg so cleeeeeeeaaaaan.. and 17x8 and 18x8 both with 225 wide, 17 with 45 and 18 with 40 series, would put the 18" wheels with better clearance...technically. how close to the struts are ya?

·
TN's Financial Expert
965 Posts
terrastrife said:
omg so cleeeeeeeaaaaan.. and 17x8 and 18x8 both with 225 wide, 17 with 45 and 18 with 40 series, would put the 18" wheels with better clearance...technically. how close to the struts are ya?
about .25"...I said it in the quote you just did ;)

here is the front clearance...

The bull (down there) is clickable for more pics.

BULLMKT

1 - 20 of 31 Posts